Working with Chemicals
When working with hazardous substances, it is important that you follow these simple procedures:
- Always check with your supervisor on how to handle the substance.
- Always check what Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) you require such as gloves, goggles, and respirators.
- Know where to find and how to use Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Do not handle unlabelled containers as they could contain hazardous substances.
- Check for location of eye wash units; and
- Report any major spills or leakages to your supervisor immediately.
Never under any circumstances mix chemicals/transfer chemicals to another container or remove label(s) from any container. Do not dispose of chemicals in drains.