Racing NSW Rising Star Apprentice Series
LATEST 2018-19 Rising Star Point Score (17th April 19)
Rising Star Series: Dates for 2018-19
Rising Star Series: Honour Roll
FINAL 2017-18 Rising Star Point Score
LATEST RISING STAR SERIES NEWS
• Jenny Duggan Bounds Clear In Rising Star Series (17 April 19)
• Billy Owen Races Into Top Three For Rising Star Series (26 Feb 19)
• Jenny Duggan Regains Lead In Rising Star Series (31 Jan 19)
• Heat's Starting To Rise In NSW Apprentice Series (1 Jan 19)
• Jenny Duggan's The Comeback Queen (27 Dec 18)
• Weatherley Favoured To Jump Strongly In Rising Star Series (3 Sept 18)
• Rising Star Series At The Mercy Of Van Overmeire (4 June 18)
• Bell-Pitomac's Rising Star Win A Beauty (7 May 18)
Jean Van Overmeire receives the 2017-18 Rising Star Series trophy from Racing NSW's Karlie Triffitt. Image by Bradley Photographers
The 2017-18 TAFE Western Sydney Institute Rising Star Apprentice Series has now been completed with the final heat having been run at Hawkesbury on 21 June 2018. The series is to promote Vocational Education and Training in NSW.
• The Series is open to NSW and ACT indentured apprentice riders who are enrolled at Racing NSW Apprentice Schools
• Preference will be given to apprentice riders who, in order:
(i) fulfil the requirements of the NSW Apprentice and Traineeship Act of 2001
(ii) are on loan from another state (for longer than two months) and who have been placed with the trainer of a horse nominated in a heat
(iii) are visiting from another county and do not fit the requirements of Part (i)
Unless riders fulfil the requirements from category (i) they will be unable to ride in the Final. Riders from Category (ii) and (iii) may ride in a heat, but may not attain points, or ride in the Final. Individual awards for heats shall be made to the highest placed rider from Category (i). In the event that there are insufficient qualified apprentice riders available on the day of a series race, after confirmation from the Racing NSW Training Dept, Stewards may permit an Interstate Apprentice Jockey who does not qualify under Category (ii) to ride. These riders may not attain points or ride in the final.
• The Rising Star Racing Colours will be carried by the apprentice leading the series at the time the heat is run, or if the leading rider is not competing, the topweight will carry the colours
• Points will be awarded for each race on the following basis:
(i) First Place - 7 points; Second Place - 5 points; Third Place - 3 points; All other placings - 1 point
(ii) In the case of a dead heat, the effected placing's points shall be added together then divided by the number of dead heaters.
(iii) If an apprentice is declared for a ride and the horse is subsequently scratched, the apprentice will gain one point.
- Apprentices who are due to come out of their time during the period of the Rising Star series will be eligible to compete until such time as their apprenticeship finishes. These apprentices will also be eligible to become the overall Rising Star Series winner, with points earned in the races in which they are eligible to ride to be considered in the final tally.
- The Final is restricted to apprentices who have earned points during the running of the Rising Star Series.
- Riders amassing the highest number of points shall be first available for rides in the Final
- The application of the above rule is subject to those apprentices being able to secure a ride at their riding weight and provided they are able to claim down to their advertised riding weight if required by connections.
- All heats will be restricted to 12 riders. The ultimate decision regarding riders competing in the Final rests with Racing NSW officials and Stewards
- At the conclusion of the final, the apprentice who has accumulated the most points in the series including the Final will receive the Rising Star Cup.
- In the event of more than one rider finishing on equal points after the Final, a count-back will occur. The Apprentice with the most race wins, and subsequently the most 2nds then 3rds within the series will be declared the outright winner.