By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Wyong meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:45PM KIM WAUGH RACING PLATE (1200 METRES)|
7. Doppelpunkt is entitled to be favourite and the horse to beat on what she’s shown in two starts. Unlucky not to finish a lot closer on debut then no match for a smart winner at Canterbury but found the line. From gate one in what looks a slowly run race she should be prominent and gets every chance.
Dangers: 4. Stark has shown glimpses in his four starts and both career placings have been on this track. Nothing wrong with his two trials leading in and with a bit of luck can figure in the finish. If 1. Blue Sky Moon is above average he could make a winning a debut so watch betting around him. Winner of a synthetic trial three weeks ago in good style. Take your pick for next best, 6. Chloebella Rose has been thereabouts at her last couple and could sneak a place.
How to play it: Doppelpunkt WIN ($1.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Doppelpunkt runs fourth at Canterbury on January 1
|Race 2 – 2.20PM KRISTEN BUCHANAN RACING HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
Another short priced favourite and if the form holds up in the opening race expect 1. Kaptive to be very well fancied. He was a beaten favourite on debut but resumed in the April Rain race at Canterbury and was strong late into second. Extra 100m a plus, drawn well and entitled to win.
Dangers: 5. Bytact didn’t do a whole lot on debut at Gosford in June but looks to have come back pretty well as a gelding with an impressive trial win a month ago. He should settle a lot closer here and no surprise to see a much improved showing. 3. Deliberation was a big drifter in betting at Warwick Farm two weeks ago and struggled but that was on a heavy track so prepared to be a bit forgiving. Blinkers go on and surely he fares better here. 8. Sir Bawn had a mixed first preparation placing behind Pinnacle Prince at his second start but not as competitive in the others. Have liked his two trials recently so perhaps he’s come back a bit better. Each-way.
How to play it: Kaptive WIN ($1.35 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Kaptive runs second at Canterbury on January 1
|Race 3 – 2:55PM TRACEY BARTLEY RACING HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
11. Danzette could be a good each-way chance from a soft barrier in a race that may not be strongly run. Liked her purpose at the finish at Goulburn a month ago and while this field may have a bit more depth she’s shown enough to suggest she can be competitive.
Dangers: 9. Correlate is the likely leader crossing from the wide gate. Fitter for two runs back from a spell and while she was a little weak late at Newcastle the smaller straight here could be to her advantage if she kicks on the turn. Good chance. 7. Blaze Seven trialled very well prior to being unplaced as an easing favourite at Canterbury first-up. She ran on okay there but never looked a winning chance. Back a notch here and worth one more look. 5. Princess Amira is the interesting runner. She hasn’t shown a lot of speed in her trials over shorter trips, as you’d expect from the stable, but she did run second to Blaze Seven in her latest and is drawn to be on the pace. If there’s support she could be the one.
How to play it: Danzette E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Danzette runs third at Goulburn on December 18
|Race 4 – 3:30PM MARK CROSS RACING PLATE (1000 METRES)|
9. Sniper Legend takes on older horses on debut but he has contested what looks a couple of strong two-year-old trials to date. Third to Remarque and Ranch Hand in the first closing off okay then on the speed when runner-up to Arthur Francis. The draw could be sticky but if he’s above average he could win. Check betting for a push.
Dangers: 1. Delexo is trained here and has won all three trials ahead of his debut. A little hard to line them up but he has shown speed and done it in good style so from gate one expect him to be prominent and give a good sight. 4. Belleofthehunter was just fair on debut back in August but in her only trial back she closed off well behind Delexo at Newcastle. That was six weeks ago but happy to keep her on the safe side. 3. Press Ahead led all the way to win his only trial appearance at Hawkesbury almost a month ago. He could press forward and be on pace and is another market watch.
How to play it: Sniper Legend WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Sniper Legend runs second in a trial at Rosehill on January 4
|Race 5 – 4:05PM ALLAN DENHAM RACING HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Quatum goes on top though this race will be decided by how much pressure if on early. He won well on debut on a heavy track then failed in two subsequent starts back in August. Appears to have come back very well looking at his two trial wins, races on the speed and if he gets the right run should go close.
Dangers: 9. Trojan Angel is a good longshot. Granted she had her chance last start at Taree but that was on a heavy track. First-up she was fancied in a similar race at Gosford and badly overraced before fading from the turn. Soft draw suits and could surprise. 8. Irish Thunder showed some promise in his first preparation but didn’t seem to come up in two starts in September. Trialled quite well a month ago and is worth including in the chances. 3. Colonel was racing well before a shock failure at Rosehill back in November with no apparent reason for the flop. Form around him prior is good and if he’s back on track he’s capable of featuring.
How to play it: Quatum WIN ($1.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Quatum wins a trial at Randwick on January 7
|Race 6 – 4:40PM HAPPY RETIREMENT WYONG TRAINER STAN THOMAS HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
2. Derbari is already proven in stronger grade and kicked off his prep with an excellent second at Warwick Farm two weeks ago over a trip short of his best. There is potential pressure from out wide here but from a good gate should position near the speed and out to 1300m will be hard to hold off.
Dangers: 4. Siesta Key is racing very well with big weights on heavy tracks lately and gets a completely different scenario here. Sat wide and worked when narrowly beaten under 59kg at Taree last time but drops 3.5kg and drawn perfectly. Go well. 8. Undoubted closed off nicely late at Warwick Farm when resuming over the same trip. Drawn out but expect he will get back and if they do overdo it up from he’ll be storming home again. 1. Rhythmic Pulse might have to do some work from the outside gate but was brave from the front two starts ago at Newcastle then struck a heavy track and failed here in a Provincial Final. With luck early can give some cheek.
How to play it: Derbari WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Derbari runs second at Warwick Farm on January 6
|Race 7 – 5:15PM JEFF ENGLEBRECHT RACING HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
1. Favra resumed for the new stable with a run at Randwick that was much better than it looks on paper. He settled last, the leader won, and he ran a 33.99 last 600m (Punter's Intelligence) which was just outside the race’s best to be beaten 3.6 lengths at a trip below his best. Fitter, down in class and out to his preferred range he has to be a good chance.
Dangers: 2. Never Never River controlled the race from outside the speed first-up at Canterbury then couldn’t get near the front up in class behind Private Eye and on a heavy track. Has to push forward here and back on top of the ground is worth another chance. 4. Whatsin was a popular winner on a heavy track at Scone a month ago and the gap between runs back onto a good track is a plus. Blinkers also on and she can be competitive. 6. Elegant Grace has the ability to be in the finish somewhere, battled a bit on the heavy here last time but not beaten far. Drawn well and down in weight so can improve.
How to play it: Favra WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Favra runs sixth at Randwick on January 9