By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Wyong. Selections based on a good to soft track.
|Race 1 – 2:00PM BOOK YOUR CHRISTMAS PARTY AT WRC HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Eyewitness did it very easily in her Gosford trial a couple of weeks ago and if she steps away with them the lead looks to be hers. Ran fair time in winning the trial but she did win it with no pressure at all, if anything being held back. Looks talented and chance to make a winning debut. Read trainer Kristen Buchanan's comments here.
Dangers: 2. Urban Warrior is ex-Snowden now with Peter Robl and has been gelded. Showed some promise in his first prep and he certainly wasn’t extended in a trial at Randwick. Could be the dark horse in this field and bears close watching. 3. Gallant Run is easily the most experienced horse with this being his 10th start and he’s been placed four times. Blinkers come off and he has won two trials leading in. Capable of giving a sight. 6. Reverse went in that direction after turning just off the pace on debut back in May as favourite. Hard to read her two trials but she is very well bred and in top stable so wouldn’t surprise if she produced something better here.
How to play it: Eyewitness WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Selburose runs second at Kensington on October 28
|Race 2 – 2.35PM DE BORTOLI WINES HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
5. Can Do It will never have a better chance to win a race than this one. Hit the line strongly two starts back at Nowra then on a heavy track and up to city grade just battled a bit at Randwick. Shapes as though a mile will suit, drawn well and possibly priced a bit short but entitled to win.
Dangers: 1. Mr Canyounot did run last on debut at Kembla but it was on a heavy track and he did have a little support at odds. Trial before that was okay and on a better surface he could be a big improver in a race with little depth. 7. Lincoln Park was very plain at Wyong last time out, so will, need to lift on it, but he did hit the line well to be placed or around the placings in his three previous starts. So he’s going okay and has the chance to show up. 2. Dunlee had a month between runs and stepped up in trip when failing at Newcastle third-up and it’s probably best to forget that. He was ordinary when favourite at his previous run but fresh wasn’t disgraced here. Under the odds on those past two efforts but can’t completely rule out.
How to play it: Can Do It WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Can Do It runs fourth at Randwick on November 3
|Race 3 – 3:10PM TAB.COM.AU PLATE (1100 METRES)|
2. Belieber had a bit of a rap on him as a two-year-old and made a solid debut in the Breeders Plate before failing a couple of months later. Spelled and gelded and he’s returned with a couple of impressive trial wins, particularly the second. If he runs up them he will be too quick.
Dangers: 4. Arlandria is an interesting first starter from the strong Hawkes team and she wasn’t let off the leash in running third in her only recent trial. Drawn well and if the favourite makes a mistake she could be the one. 9. Screebe had to do a bit of work to win her second trial this time in, finishing a few lengths ahead of Arlandria. Has to be included in the chances and be guided by the market. 10. Soldier's Desire has always trialled quite well but didn't show a lot at her only start back in July. Small field so chance for her to improve.
How to play it: Belieber WIN ($1.35 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Belieber wins a trial at Randwick on October 30
|Race 4 – 3:45PM BOOK NOW WYONG MAGIC MILLIONS DEC 16 HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
4. Miss Sure Shot had excuses when beaten before a spell at Hawkesbury but her previous two efforts last prep at this level were sound. Two nice quiet trials and she’s struck a race potentially with a bit of speed. From the good gate she could have the last shot at them. Go well fresh.
Dangers: 3. Running Four Bub probably found herself too far back at Goulburn last start when favourite. The runner-up has since won from that race. Blinkers go on and while back 100m she would also be aided by some tempo. Give another chance. 1. Cathay hasn’t raced since July when winning a couple of races on wet tracks. There was plenty to like about her trial behind Varda but that was now a month ago and she’s been scratched a couple of times of late. If all is in order then she’s a big chance so check betting. 5. She’s Independent has struck form with a couple of game wins at Muswellbrook and earned a shot at this class. Tends to be a bit hit or miss with four wins and just one placing from 19 starts but couldn’t be going better to tackle the class rise.
How to play it: Miss Sure Shot WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Miss Sure Shot runs fourth in a Randwick trial on November 10
|Race 5 – 4:20PM GREAT NORTHERN ON TAP HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
8. One Pound has returned in super form in the country with a couple wins and a gallant third in the Cotton Cup at the mile. On pacer aided by the claim and while this is tougher at least she’s in top form and that can’t be said for a lot of the opposition. Each-way.
Dangers: 1. Aspect Ratio brilliantly won a Class 1 over this course back in September but her three runs since have been patchy. Safely held in a small field at Canterbury then fair at Kensington while last time she led and was weak late at Kembla on a heavy track. All when right in the market. Logically she’ll go forward and on her best form she can win. 4. Invicta looks a good roughie third-up from a spell. There was some merit in his last start effort at 1350m here off a wide gate and comes into this on the up this prep. Granted it’s been a while since he’s really shown form but this is a chance for him. 10. Majella was very disappointing at Kensington a few weeks ago when a $5 chance, she either hated the soft track or just didn’t put in and tailed off. On her first-up run at Warwick Farm she’d be entitled to be favourite but not on the her last two. Take on trust.
How to play it: One Pound E/W ($8.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
One Pound runs third at Warren on November 5
|Race 6 – 4:55PM MAGIC MILLIONS GC YEARLING SALE HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
3. Longbottom can be a bit of a chaser but she rarely runs a bad race. Only miss first-up was last prep where she ran fourth and she’s been given two easy trials. Drawn to get plenty of cover and if in touch she has a big enough finish to make an impact late.
Dangers: 4. Hibiscus Lady controlled things from outside the leader first-up at Gosford and was too strong late. Fitter for that and if she can hold a position from the inside gate there’s no reasons she couldn’t repeat. 2. Trust Me won the Kirby at Grafton at big odds first-up last time in then just fair off a couple of months break in a 900m scamper. Trials have been spaced, if she’s on song she’s capable of causing an upset. 8. Rifles is at his best when allowed to control on the speed so will need a little bit of luck early from the outside. Not raced since September but latest trial typically strong.
How to play it: Longbottom E/W ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Longbottom's latest trial at Gosford on October 14
|Race 7 – 5:30PM SKY RACING PROVINCIAL SUMMER SERIES WYONG NOV 26 (1200 METRES)|
4. Wild Chap comes back in trip from two starts around the 1400m where he’s led and been reeled in. Too strong over 1350m here back in August and if he gets control he could take some running down.
Dangers: 1. Sanctioned brilliantly won a BM74 at Canterbury in January then failed in two subsequent starts before a spell. Still has a big weight after the claim but right down in class and on his best efforts he’s hard to beat. 2. Big Bad Bruce will be fitter for one run back at Kembla on heavy ground which he’s never proven to be comfortable in so to run on into fifth is promising. May want a touch further but expect a much better showing here. 9. Thiswilldous probably wants a bit further but raced consistently last time in, trained here and drawn well so could show up late.
How to play it: Wild Chap WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Wild Chap runs fifth at Kensington on October 21