By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Wyong. Selections based on a soft to heavy track.
|Race 1 – 2:20PM MAINSTREAM TAXATION & ACCOUNTANCY SERVICES (1600 METRES)|
4. Clear Blonde handles wet tracks well and she should have finished a bit closer last time out at Newcastle on good ground. Has a tough run over a bit further under her belt which is handy for striking a wet track here. Expecting her to be strong late and hard to hold out.
Dangers: 1. Amoretti is fitter for three runs back and while she could have done a little more late last time over 1350m here she kept coming. Wet track is no issue and blinkers going on a plus. Her best is good enough to be competitive. 3. Castlecomer improved on an ordinary first-up effort when up to a mile at Gosford second-up. Was left chasing there so perhaps he’ll roll forward as he did last prep when winning over the mile. Entitled to another chance. 2. Butch’n’bugs is right back in class after a plucky run in one of the Provincial Series Heats at Hawkesbury last month. So much easier here but question mark on a wet track.
How to play it: Clear Blonde E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Clear Blonde runs third at Newcastle on December 1
|Race 2 – 2.55PM MAINSTREAM FINANCE SERVICES PTY LTD HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
3. Jana is a good chance to turn over the favourite as she looks very close to a win after two runs back. Had support fresh on a heavy track and ran on nicely then had to weave through from the back over this course and was beaten by the bob of the head. Drawn nicely this time, no worries in the wet and should go close.
Dangers: 1. Jesse James stormed home late when resuming at Gosford then at Canterbury did a lot of chasing into second, just holding off the third horse, behind Tycoonist. Where he goes from the wide gate will be interesting, his first two starts in NZ were on heavy tracks so that’s no issue, but small concern he was almost picked up last start. Sure to run well, may be unders with a worthy rival. 2. Chateaux Park made a promising return with a late surge into third at Canberra a couple of weeks ago. Did fail in two heavy track runs in June but also has a soft 7 placing. Each-way. 6. Dizzy Dawn is next best, she ran sixth in the same race as Jana but was placed over this course prior to that. Form mixed but both placings on soft or heavy tracks so not the worst.
How to play it: Jana WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Jana runs second at Wyong on November 26
|Race 3 – 3:30PM MAGIC MILLIONS WYONG 3&4YO STAKES (1200 METRES)|
6. Count De Rupee faces his biggest test but you don’t win races like he did at Kembla first-up from a break and not be a smart horse. It was arrogant after sitting wide on the pace and he romped away. Up in grade and onto a wet track for the first time but should track the speed and be strong late if he handles the ground. Read co-trainer Robert Price's comments here.
Dangers: 5. Barbaric hasn’t raced since winning the Black Opal in March but all his starts have been on soft 6 tracks and he’s won two of them, so you’d imagine the ground shouldn’t be too bad. Looked to have come back well in his trial win and is a threat. Read co-trainer Peter Snowden's comments here. 3. Spaceboy is on the back up after failing in the Razor Sharp at Randwick on Saturday where the jockey reported he was gone 300m out on the firm ground. He does love it with the sting out and if he gets control around Wyong he will take some running down. 2. Eleven Eleven went forward off a wide gate first-up and weakened late but wasn’t disgraced behind Pandemic at Rosehill. Has run well on a heavy track before and he will be fitter. More than good enough to win this.
How to play it: Count De Rupee E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Count De Rupee wins at Kembla Grange on November 28
|Race 4 – 4:05PM MAGIC MILLIONS 2021 GOLD COAST YEARLING SALE HANDICAP (1100M)|
1. Wander is right back in class on his recent assignments and with the claim has the right set up to finds his best again. Not disgraced behind Hilo in his last heavy track attempt, generally handles it well and happy to ignore his last start where he was checked out of it at the 100m. Good each-way chance.
Dangers: 5. On Her Word is a very interesting runner resuming from a 60 week absence but has shown plenty of promise. Charged late at her only start last prep at Gosford and raced away to an easy win in her trial there late last month. Has won in town on a soft 6 and bears close watching. 12. Mosht Up continues to race well without winning and went down fighting over this trip at Gosford two weeks ago. Handles all conditions and has to be an each-wat chance once again. 6. Skyray has never raced better and while beaten favourite at Goulburn last time hi form prior to that at this level was more than good enough. Small question mark on a very heavy track but expect him to be sweeping home out wide late.
How to play it: Wander E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Wander’s last start at Warwick Farm on November 25
|Race 5 – 4:40PM MAGIC MILLIONS WYONG 2YO CLASSIC (1100 METRES)|
15. Gleneagles has only had the one official trial for a nice win at Randwick last week, where he looked very good, but he also had a jump out at Cranbourne last month in which he won well. Breeding suggests okay on a wet track. Must respect the stable and jockey coming here.
Dangers: 14. Swift Witness has looked professional in her two trial wins leading into this race and that’s a good head start. No real guide on how she’ll handle a wet track but she will put herself in contention early from a good gate and it comes down to how she gets through it. Market will be a guide but on what we’ve seen she’s a big chance. Read co-trainer Adrian Bott's comments here. 6. Centro Storico did some work on debut at Rosehill and only missed a placing narrowly so boxed on very well. Wide gate a worry here but is bred to handle the wet track and looks to have some talent. In a tough race 1. Astrologer and 11. She’s All Class, both placed on debut at Randwick in October in good quality races, are also strong chances.
How to play it: Gleneagles WIN ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Gleneagles wins a trial at Randwick on December 8
|Race 6 – 5:15PM EXALTED CONSTRUCTIONS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. Foxborough will need a little bit of luck from the wide gate but everything else about her says she’s hard to beat here. Just missed first-up and forgiving of her second-up failure in a much stronger race. Adept in the wet and on her best form is very hard to beat.
Dangers: 4. Segrill got the job done second-up over this course last month and has form around Foxborough to say she’s a decent threat. Probably doesn’t have the same wet track credentials but drawn well and the stable’s horses are flying of late. Definite chance. 9. Onemore Sapphire ran well first-up then far too good in an easier race at Tuncurry where he rounded them up easily. Might be a bit sticky from barrier one given his racing style but can’t be overlooked. 10. Serene Spirit is a real market watch first-up at a mile on a wet track for the new stable. Was a heavy track winner earlier this year over 1950m and no real guide from her trial on the synthetic. Could surprise.
How to play it: Foxborough WIN ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Foxborough’s first-up second at Wyong on November 7