By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Wyong meeting. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:55PM RFS VOLUNTEERS THANK YOU PLATE (2100 METRES)|
5. Red Hot Chillypins has the hoof right on the till and might have struck gold here with a very winnable race. Fair to say she had her chance at Newcastle last time but didn’t miss by far and shapes as though the trip will suit.
Dangers: 6. Aguante comes through the same race and she wasn’t far behind the favourite in running third, a sharp improvement on her debut effort. If she can match that run she’s right in the mix. 2. Scorching Zorro has been around the mark and had support last time when leading and boxing on for a fair fourth at Goulburn at a similar trip. Could give a sight. 3. Whiskey Jack produced his best effort in five starts running fourth in same event at Goulburn. Worth including in the chances again.
How to play it: Red Hot Chillypins WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Red Hot Chillypins runs second at Newcastle on March 31
|Race 2 – 1.35PM SES VOLUNTEERS THANK YOU PLATE (1000 METRES)|
5. Enigma might be the one most likely to cause an upset as she clearly had excuses on debut at Kensington when racing wide throughout. Tricky draw again but no surprise to see improvement if she gets a more economical run.
Dangers: 1. Down To Earth hasn’t raced since October and place behind Faretti in town last prep so has some ability. Recent trial okay, probably presses forward from the wide gate and could give cheek. 9. Fused Magic has had a few chances but this race has fallen away. Fitter for one run back at Newcastle in an above average maiden so could be placed.
How to play it: Enigma WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Enigma's debut effort at Kensington on March 18
|Race 3 – 2:10PM VRA VOLUNTEERS THANK YOU PLATE (1350 METRES)|
3. Duty is another short priced favourite who is hard to oppose though there are a couple of first-uppers to be wary of. Led and run down late first-up off two months at Kembla so fitter here and hard to run down.
Dangers: 6. Qinghai Lake debuted back in August and performed okay but the signs from his two recent trial suggest he’s improved. Watch for some support and if he’s fancied he could upset. 7. Sun Moon Sky trialled behind Qinghai Lake at Hawkesbury a few weeks ago and battled on well enough. Another who could show up without surprising. 10. Smart Success ran a nice race on debut then a bit plain at Warwick Farm a month ago. Freshened up, if she goes forward like she did first-up she could be an improver.
How to play it: Duty WIN ($1.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Duty runs second at Kembla Grange on March 21
|Race 4 – 2:50PM TAB.COM.AU HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
1. Divine Eleven is ridiculously short in the market but is another who looks to have a strong hold on their race. Complete forgive when trapped wide on the speed first-up at Eagle Farm. Previous form said a race like this is well within reach.
Dangers: 9. Buckin’ Rippa disappointed last week at Gosford but previous efforts in similar races were more than acceptable for a race like this. Chased home Rifles at this track a month ago and on that could be placed again. 8. Queen Snip has been big odds at her last two starts but she’s performed well above market expectation in placing in both. Only has to hold form to be in the placings here too. 7. Inkjet showed some promise on debut then resumed with a midfield effort over 1000m here a couple of weeks ago. Extra trip might suit so capable of lifting.
How to play it: Divine Eleven WIN ($1.22 TAB Fixed Odds); Trifecta 1/7,8,9/7,8,9. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Divine Eleven runs fifth at Eagle Farm on March 25
|Race 5 – 3:25PM COCA-COLA HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
3. Rockarosa gets the blinkers on and that might fire her up after two even enough runs back in city company. Only win to date was at this trip at Gosford in October third-up last prep. Good chance to find her form.
Dangers: 6. Lady Legend has been freshened up since hitting the line from well back at Newcastle six weeks ago but has trialled twice. Won over this course two runs back and drawn well here, wouldn’t be leaving her out. 2. Kirwan’s Lane found his best third-up winning narrowly but nicely at Newcastle over a mile and gets in well after the claim. Showing promise and no surprise if he doubles up. 8. Benfica Maid had good support in a similar race last time and wasn't beaten far in fourth. Extra trip a plus for her.
How to play it: Rockarosa E/W ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Rockarosa’s last start at Warwick Farm on March 25
|Race 6 – 4:05PM CARLTON & UNITED BREWERIES HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
6. Power Of Attorney did enough with a closing third at Goulburn first-up so say he’s come back well and while that run was seven weeks ago he’s trialled recently and is better suited up in trip. Likely to get back but hard to hold out if he gets a race run to suit.
Dangers: 3. Darleb won well here on debut then spelled and returned with an even effort at Kembla Grange. Fitter and drawn well so improvement expected. 5. Estroverto finally cracked it for a win after 18 starts with a dominant effort here two weeks ago. Come back in excellent form and could go on with it here. 4. Favra is another last start maiden winner and he finished strongly late to arrive on the line at Newcastle. Another 100m is a plus for him, lightly raced and he’s one of the chances.
How to play it: Power Of Attorney E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Power Of Attorney runs third at Goulburn on February 23
|Race 7 – 4:40PM WYONG’S NEXT RACE DAY APRIL 16 HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
9. Trajection is an up and comer who has been impressive in his two wins this prep split by an even effort when beaten favourite. Dominant last time with even luck should be hard to hold out again.
Dangers: 1. Chalmers didn’t do a whole lot when resuming at Hawkesbury a few weeks back but does tend to improve sharply with a run under his belt. So expecting him to be a lot more competitive here. 8. Salsa Man doesn’t win out of turn but he has three placings from his last four starts and has been hitting the line with purpose. Should get back again and if they overdo it he’ll be swooping late. 5. Test Of War is better than what he showed first-up at Hawkesbury and look for improvement.
How to play it: Trajection WIN ($1.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Trajection wins at Newcastle on March 31
|Race 8 – 5:15PM GOOD LUCK WYONG @ POLYTRACK PROVINCIAL CHAMPS FINAL (1000 METRES)|
4. Bollywood resumes a trip short of her best but there appears to be plenty of speed here so that will make her dangerous. Drawn ideally and fitter for a recent trial where she was narrowly beaten by a smart type. Go well.
Dangers: 2. Axe showed promise last prep and comes off an all the way maiden win here back in November. Nice trial in strong company a couple of weeks ago and he’s one to keep very safe. 1. Rifles hasn’t raced for a month where he smashed a maiden field over this course from on the speed. Will press forward and put himself in the race. No surprise to see him repeat if he gets the right run. 3. Niewand is trialling up well for a return. Maiden win in Victoria was dominant then not disgraced at NSW debut at Kembla before a break. In top stable and one to keep an eye on.
How to play it: Bollywood WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Bollywood runs second in a trial at Randwick on March 27