By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s meeting at Wyong. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:00PM WWW.TAB.COM.AU HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. Oakfield Gettem had excuses last start at Gosford, knuckling at the start and then kept busy in the lead before fading. Debut was solid and he’ll make his own luck here up on the speed. Should run well.
Dangers: 1. Alert The Press hasn’t raced since placing at Sandown in January and only wet track start was a failure a year ago. Two jump outs in Melbourne ahead of this sound and if he handles the ground he’ll go close. 5. Kattegat made some ground on debut at Kembla a month ago and will have some upside. Should be okay on a wet track and is worth including in a winnable race. 4. Skillet failed in two starts in the summer, the latest in a very strong maiden, and her second trial recently was sound enough. No surprise to see her improve.
How to play it: Oakfield Gettem WIN ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Oakfield Gettem’s debut at Newcastle on May 4
|Race 2 - 12:35PM CANDIAN CLUB PLATE (1000 METRES)|
2. Caesura wasn’t disgraced in two starts in her first preparation at the end of last winter and her two trials have been excellent pointers to a big first-up run. Wet should be okay for her and this is a good chance to break through.
Dangers: 8. Brazen Saint is a two-year-old on debut coming off a Hawkesbury trial win. Well bred and while no real guide on how she’ll handle a soft track any support should be respected. 1. Magic Town is back to 1000m after a fair effort at Gosford last week where he sat handy and had his chance. Hit the line okay fresh over the short trip and from the inside will be thereabouts. 7. Tell No Tales failed on a heavy track at her only start last time in but did trial quite nicely at Rosehill recently. Placed behind Estijaab on debut and if she can reproduce that she’ll be in the mix.
How to play it: Caesura WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Caesura wins a trial at Hawkesbury on May 20
|Race 3 – 1.10PM WRC MEMBERSHIP ONLY $55 HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
6. High Flight has had a few chances but is racing consistently at present. Tried hard at Scone last time and while she’s not proven on a wet track if she’s ever going to handle it this is her chance.
Dangers: 4. Dominica Rose is first-up since March and had the one trial last week where she was sound enough in running third over 1045m. Hadn’t run a bad race until last start so fresh she can feature. 8. Whitney’s Star is up in distance after a fair third at Gosford last week where she loomed up and held her ground. Has placed over this course previously and in a race right up for grabs has a shot. 5. Golden Creek has only placed twice in 14 starts but they have been in his past three and he worked home well enough at Hawkesbury last time. Could place again.
How to play it: High Flight WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
High Flight runs second at Scone on May 31
|Race 4 – 1.50PM DE BORTOLI WINES HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
9. I’m Kate looks in for a good preparation on the back of her two trials this time in. She showed some promise back in the summer and there were excuses for her failure before a spell. Expect her to show something here.
Dangers: 3. Hidden Hills has hit the line okay in both runs this prep and this is no harder. No idea on a wet track so any improvement is in his favour but on face value should be in the finish. 4. Monterey Lad would also be looking for an upgrade. He hasn’t been far away though beaten favourite in two of his last four starts. Fitter here for his fresh second at Muswellbrook and is one of the main hopes. 7. Deliya didn’t do much first-up behind Invinciano but showed enough last time in to suggest she can do better with the extra trip and the sting out of the ground.
How to play it: I’m Kate E/W ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds).
I’m Kate’s latest trial at Wyong on May 22
|Race 5 – 2.25PM OVER THE LINE RACING PLATE (2100 METRES)|
10. Perfect Pitch is very well graded coming out of city races at her last two won by Fun Fact and Nobu and she hasn’t been disgraced. Ran 34.38 for her last 600m behind Nobu (Punter's Intelligence) and covered almost 10m in additional ground. City placed on a heavy track and though drawn wide with any luck she’ll be a big force
Dangers: 8. Killer Instinct is a promising type who shook off an unlucky placing two starts back with a dominant win at Hawkesbury when out to 1800m. Extra trip no concern and a wet track shouldn’t be an issue. Hard to beat. 6. Prince Camelot enjoyed a nice run behind a solid enough tempo and proved too strong in winning over this course a few weeks back. Not much harder here and he’s right in this too. 5. Elaborate won easily at Kembla before striking a soft track at Canberra and battling on okay into second as a short priced favourite. Racing very well and he’s a must for consideration.
How to play it: Perfect Pitch WIN ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Perfect Pitch runs third to Fun Fact at Warwick Farm on May 15
|Race 6 – 3.05PM FAREWELL WRC CHAIRMAN GARRY WHITAKER HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Dame Kiri is rightfully favourite and she will take plenty of beating first-up. Yet to miss a place and was just downed by Sure Knee at Randwick before a break. Trial was okay and she’s clearly on top.
Dangers: 1. Only Wanna Sing ran a super race when resuming at Hawkesbury and going down narrowly. Can only be fitter, handles a wet track and while he’s only won one from 13 he has clearly come back well. Some threat. 2. Siege Warfare also resumed with a tidy effort in a close finish at Newcastle over the 900m. Wet is no problem for him and he can also only be better for the run. Definite chance. 5. Johnny Roo Boy comes through the same race as Only Wanna Sing and ran a handy fourth. Tends to run well when there’s sting out of the ground and has each-way claims.
How to play it: Dame Kiri WIN ($1.85 TAB Fixed Odds).
Dame Kiri runs third in a Wyong trial on May 22
|Race 7 - 3:40PM GREAT NORTHERN ON TAP HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
It wouldn’t shock to see 7. Nautibernie run a cheeky race at each-way odds fresh. She was placed first-up last prep around the same trip, handles the sting out you’d expect her to be hitting the line strongly.
Dangers: 2. Singing Sand found her best form second-up over this course and she’s fine with the softish conditions. She’ll also get back and be running on and a repeat performance sees her go close. 1. Romantic Whisper is the likely leader and the tighter track back 50m are pluses for her. Can’t knock her and she will be hard to run down.
How to play it: Nautibernie E/W ($12 TAB Fixed Odds).
Nautibernie’s trial at Warwick Farm on May 17
|Race 8 - 4:20PM WYONG NEXT MEETING THURSDAY JUNE 20 HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
3. Pinvincible has been kept on ice for two months since a handy debut win over a couple of horses who have won since. His recent trial at Rosehill was outstanding and on that he should be very hard to stop.
Dangers: 1. Golden Hits is back in class after two even efforts in town since a spell. First-up run was probably a shade better than his latest at Canterbury but out to this trip with the sting out he should be firing. 2. Battle Cry led them up and disappointed at Kembla when resuming but he is better than that. Down 2.5kg and fitter so expect him to improve here. 8. Rheingau has been thereabouts without winning of late and a bit of give in the track is to his liking. At peak now after four runs back and wouldn’t surprise to see him go close.
How to play it: Pinvincible WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Pinvincible’s trial at Rosehill on May 24