By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Sunday’s meeting at Wyong. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:30PM YOU’LL LOVE IT! BY THE HALEKULANI BOWL. CLUB PLATE (1100 METRES)|
3. Shadow Colour won’t find a better chance to post a maiden win. Runner-up in three of his four starts, not disgraced in the other, and was only claimed late by Tawaret last time. Likely leader here, and from the wider gate is unlikely to be dictated to as he was at Gosford.
Dangers: 7. Princess Siri didn’t do a lot first-up or just before a spell but was competitive in the two middle runs. That said her two trials leading in have been solid, drawn soft and she can run a nice race fresh. 6. Patrina is a fascinating runner. Trialled three times for the Snowden yard back in 2017 then resurfaced with Kylie Gavenlock to win a trial last year, then six months later she wins another trial for Gavenlock on January 13. Must have had issues but trialling well. Keep safe. 8. Pure Faith has also switched camps and looked quite good winning a Newcastle trial four weeks ago for Brett Cavanough. Race form is fair at best but might have turned the corner.
How to play it: Shadow Colour WIN ($2.10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Shadow Colour runs second at Gosford on January 16
|Race 2 – 2:05PM THE JETT’S FITNESS @SAN REMO AUSSIE DAY HORSEPLAY PLATE (1600 METRES)|
6. Sebourg was hard to miss on debut at Kembla a couple of weeks back, hitting the line nicely behind what looks a handy type in Amitto. You’d expect he will have no issue with a mile on that and has to be open to some improvement. Good chance in a competitive maiden.
Dangers: 7. Also Cool backed up her sound resumption with another closing effort at Kembla when back slightly in distance. That was against her there so stepping up should be ideal. Seems to be shaping up for a peak performance and is well worth considering. 12. Space Is Deep is another lightly raced type with upside and she defied a big betting drift to run a close third over 1350m at this track. Should have some improvement in her with the extra trip so can’t overlook. 8 Lady Legend was also a drifter in betting when she resumed in the same race and hit the line nicely into second. Each-way hopes at least.
How to play it: Sebourg WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Sebourg runs second at Kembla Grange on January 7
|Race 3 – 2:40PM CAPITAL ONE REAL ESTATES AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE RUN RUN RUN HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
1. Charles Seven is ready to win after placings at both runs this time in. Led over 900m fresh and was run down then settled off the speed up to 1200m and didn’t miss by much in a good form race so far. Would only have to hold his form to be in the finish of this.
Dangers: 16. Donnachiara was a big drifter in betting first-up and led before just knocking up late at Kembla behind Amitto. That was her best effort to date and wouldn’t surprise to see her give some cheek. 5. Capri Of Tuffy can be forgiven for an unplaced effort at Warwick Farm and on her three placings prior to that she’d have to be a major player. Just touched out by Rari two runs ago and Arousal form is pretty good for a maiden too. Definite chance. 4. Atherton has shown something in his trials but it's yet to translate to race day in his two starts. Wyong trial winner by six lengths leading into this and could show up.
How to play it: Charles Seven E/W ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Charles Seven runs third at Warwick Farm on January 8
|Race 4 – 3:15PM THE ALLOOM BEAUTY AUSSIE DAY DASH (1100 METRES)|
1. Acumen is going to be the shortest priced favourite of the day and probably rightly so after his demolition job at Gosford first-up, setting a track record. Stays at 1100m, drawn to either lead or be handy if something wants the front he could sit off them. Small query as to whether he can go higher off such a huge win but clearly the one to beat.
Dangers: 2. Reiby’s Regent resumed with a fair effort here a month ago but he’s yet to place when first-up. Improved into the placings second-up last time in so no surprise is something similar occurs here. 5. Mandirigma looks as though he could be smart with his debut win but hasn’t lived up to it yet. Granted he has only had two more starts and battled on well to place first-up over this course. In the mix. 7. Circus was a popular winner on debut then drew wide and went back, a drifter in betting, at Gosford with a month between runs. Worth another chance.
How to play it: Acumen WIN ($1.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Acumen wins at Gosford on January 10
|Race 5 – 3:50PM EVENT CINEMAS GOLD CLASS GALLOP HANDICAP (2100 METRES)|
3. Merlinite was there to be beaten at Kembla last time after working hard to get to the lead. Looks a strong stayer and she’s drawn a lot better. Form through her second at Gosford two back is good and has an in-form apprentice on board again. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 4. Elleofadeel raced consistently in Queensland then started favourite at Canterbury and fair to say she had her chance, though did take off a little early. Better suited here regardless and expect her to show up. 2. Sea Spirit showed improvement third-up running into fourth behind Merlinite at Kembla. No harder here so include in the chances. 12. Judicator has been well in the market in both runs back from a spell and filled a minor placing. Capable of another at least here.
How to play it: Merlinite WIN ($2.15 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Merlinite wins at Kembla Grange on January 11
|Race 6 – 4:25PM FREDDY’S FISHING.COM.AU HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
10. Turnstyle is one of a couple of lightly raced three-year-olds who look to hold the key to this race. Strong debut effort then led most of the way to score at Gosford back in July on a soft track. Two trials recently and did it well at Warwick Farm in the second of those earlier this week. Should be right on the pace and the one to beat.
Dangers: 8. My Fire Phoenix is the big threat. She was an all the way winner on debut at Canterbury but in her two subsequent starts in stronger company she’s settled around midfield. Hasn’t raced for almost a year but her latest trial against open company was a good one and she’s to be respected. 6. Moccasin Miss has come back in great form and backed up a close second at Gosford with a last stride win there two weeks ago, gaining a late split to stick her nose out. Can’t be left out. 5. Margie Bee put in a couple of poor ones last time in but she is generally quite consistent. Yet to win at 1000m or first-up but from the inside with the claim can be expected to run well fresh.
How to play it: Turnstyle WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Turnstyle wins a trial at Warwick Farm on January 21
|Race 7 – 5:00PM 101.3’S TOP KOALA-T AUSSIE RACE DAY HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
6. Designated broke through here first-up then has been around the mark in three runs since in some solid company. Hit the line well in the Gosford Guineas and kept coming in a similar field at Kembla last time. Good each-way chance on his home track.
Dangers: 3. Parry Sound resumed in the same race as Designated and started double figure odds but went down fighting in a close finish. Fitter for that and the extra 200m is a plus. Definite chance. 2. Hammond Lane is racing well winning the Mudgee Cup before a game on pace third at Gosford in this class. Hasn’t finished worse than fifth this time in and should be around the mark again. 7. Foxdown resumed with a handy enough fifth beaten less than two lengths and shapes as an improver up in distance. Placed four of five second-up so worthy of consideration.
How to play it: Designated E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Designated runs fourth at Kembla Grange on January 11