By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Hawkesbury meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:30PM HRC MOTEL HANDICAP (2000 METRES)|
1. Quality Seeker is the big query after two runs in country Victoria switching states. One paced last time out at Sale and boxed on fairly, suggesting the extra trip will be a plus. Betting a strong pointer but has found the right race.
Dangers: 3. Hemsted is a front-runner who dropped to a mile and was safely reeled in at Goulburn last time. Gave a sight at 1900m at Gosford and will likely be in front on the turn here. 5. Ellofarock was far too strong at Muswellbrook then jumped in class and made no real impact in running fourth at Newcastle back slightly in distance. Capable of a placing. 4. Cool One had her chance in a small field at Orange last Friday but this isn't a whole lot different so another place is within her reach.
How to play it: Quality Seeker WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
|Race 2 - 2:05PM SPRINGVALE WEEKEND SOCIAL CLUB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Japingka is worth a look each-way on debut on the back of one trial where she was taken right back and worked home, under some riding, through the field. Sure to improve off it and has struck a winnable race.
Dangers: 5. Ruby Tuesday might have only run eighth in her recent trials but there was plenty to like about how she brushed home to be beaten only three lengths. May not drift so far back from a good gate and wouldn’t surprise if she showed something. 9. Rose To Victory didn’t disgrace behind some smart ones at her first few starts and she resumes with an on pace trial win last week. Another worth keeping an eye on first-up. 3. Rigel looked to have his chance here two weeks ago running third over the same course. Blinkers go on here could lift him and he stays under notice.
How to play it: Japingka E/W ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Japingka runs fourth in a Warwick Farm trial on October 22
|Race 3 – 2.40PM BLACKTOWN WORKERS HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Aussie was very wayward winning his maiden here in February then failed in one run back in August and was gelded. Two trials have been fair albeit against open company but he races on the pace and will be the one to run down.
Dangers: 3. Buzz hasn’t trialled publicly this time in but did win well here first-up last prep. Has the inside alley and any support for him would be significant. 2. Key To Glory hasn’t raced for 18 moths so is a bit of a query here first-up with only a trial at the end of September in public. Form early in 2018 was honest and is another market watch. 8. Light Charge won first-up last prep then didn't really fire after that. Two trials leading in and could get into a placing.
How to play it: Aussie WIN ($1.65 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Aussie runs second in a trial at Randwick on November 1
|Race 4 – 3.15PM KILLAHY EQUINE PLATE (1300 METRES)|
8. The Snooperstar is a big watch first-up with a couple of very nice but quiet trials under the belt and barrier one. Beaten a length by Reloaded two starts back and all his form is in maidens with more depth. Trip suits fresh and should run well.
Dangers: 10. Zakat is the logical favourite and the horse to beat but he’s far from a good thing. Held his ground first-up at Warwick Farm then up to a mile and was outsprinted. Back to 1300m here and he gets his chance to show some will to win. 6. Pyraminx could be the big blowout. Total forgive run first-up at Hawkesbury where he pressed on wide out and raced four deep on the speed before weakening as you’d expect. Fitter for that and drawn a bit kinder this time. Improver. 3. Gone Bye has trialled twice recently and thought the first was better than the second. Trip might suit him here first-up and any support should be noted. Keep safe.
How to play it: The Snooperstar WIN ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
The Snooperstar runs sixth in a Randwick trial on November 1
|Race 5 – 3.50PM LANDER TOYOTA PLATE (1300 METRES)|
6. Giselle Anne is a 10 start maiden who was beaten at a short price last time but this race looks to map well from her perspective. She’ll likely lead and she has been racing in pretty solid maidens this time in so this might be her chance. Read trainer Lee Curtis's comments here.
Dangers: 7. Jana is a big watch first-up since February with no public trials but she has had two jump outs at Flemington. Her debut effort was solid, without being exceptional, making some late ground and she looks a threat fresh at 1300m. 11. You Too has taken some time to make it to the races and there was enough merit in her latest trial on October 29, where she worked home without being pressured, to keep her safe on debut. 4. Crosscheck trialled okay at Randwick a couple of weeks ago, drawn well and in good hands so no surprise to see him perform.
How to play it: Giselle Anne E/W ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Giselle Anne runs second at Wyong on October 20
|Race 6 – 4.25PM MOUNTIES GROUP HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
3. Gimme Shelter resumes without a trial but she raced honestly last time in against some handy company including a last start second to Sir Elton. Both wins on dry tracks and trained here, should be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 1. Queen Ablaze backs up after running an even fourth when resuming at Muswellbrook last Tuesday. She must have needed that hitout as she didn’t finish off as usual. Second-up form patchy but good enough to win this if right. 5. Paris In May is a bit hit and miss and was only fair at Newcastle over the 900m last time. Will put himself on the speed from barrier one and is capable of giving a sight. 8. Stone Cold should be fitter for one run back at Wagga where he finished midfield. Blinkers go on here and he’d appreciate sitting just off a good tempo which could materialize here. Can show up.
How to play it: Gimme Shelter WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Gimme Shelter runs second at Randwick on July 6
|Race 7 - 5:00PM SCHWEPPES AUSTRALIA HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
Happy to stay with 6. Sedona who overcame plenty of traffic to score a strong win first-up in a good form race, with a slick 11.65 last 200m (Punter's Intelligence) more than two lengths quicker than any of his rivals. Promising type and while up in class he should only be fitter and it’d be a surprise if he’s not competitive.
Dangers: 5. Commute has been racing well without winning and did a big job to run second at Warwick Farm a few weeks back. Down a notch here and drawn well. Should be in the finish. 8. Piping Roller is well worth respecting after a dominant maiden win at Canberra where she sat on the speed then roared away to a big win. Another on the up and should run well. 2. Handfast put a couple of wins together in August then freshened, he ran well at Bathurst but always out the back last time. Better suited back in class here and drawn inside. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Sedona WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Sedona wins at Kembla Grange on October 26
|Race 8 - 5:35PM ASCEND SALES HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. King Hewitt is overdue for a change of luck and looks well placed on a few fronts here. Had a wide run at Randwick last week and boxed on okay, down in class here with in-form apprentice on board and drawn to have every chance.
Dangers: 4. Balmaceda did a good job when resuming with a closing second here a few weeks back and does have a handy second-up record. Where he gets to from the wide gate this time is interesting, he generally pushes forward, but good chance either way. 8. Magnificently was five weeks between runs when a battling third over 1400m here last time so should be fitter and an extra 200m looks a plus. Still, she has to find a little bit on face value to be a winning chance but can’t leave out. 6. Single Story has shown ability at times, hit the line two runs back with a big weight at Canberra then never really a factor at Kembla from last. No surprise to see him figure but each-way claims still best.
How to play it: King Hewitt WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS
King Hewitt has no luck at Randwick on November 5