By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Hawkesbury. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:20PM MEMBERS RACE DAY HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
1. Disco Mo won’t find a better chance to post a win than this race. He’ll lead or sit second and only has to reproduce his last couple when beaten by a couple of handy types, the latest at Randwick, to break through.
Dangers: 3. Judicator is the logical danger as he has the upside factor from just the one start so far. No match for a smart winner at Wyong but did find the line like he’s looking for more ground which he gets here. 2. Dambulla didn’t trial the best at Randwick a few weeks ago but stays under notice coming from the in-form Maher & Eustace stable. If he runs up to his February trial he’d be some chance. 4. Braidwood Gold failed at Bathurst last start and her form has been patchy at best. Doubt she can win but on her Wyong run could jag a minor placing.
How to play it: Disco Mo WIN ($1.75 TAB Fixed Odds).
Disco Mo runs second at Randwick on June 10
|Race 2 - 12:55PM PINK FINNS CHARITY HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. You’re Next is in the same boat as Disco Mo in that this race looks his for the taking. Runner-up at his first two starts at Canterbury to smart three-year-olds then disappointed when favourite fresh at Warwick Farm. This is his race to lose.
Dangers: 2. Monstrosity looks to be well named given his size and he might have been beaten five lengths in his latest trial but he worked home impressively from the back. Likely to improve on whatever he does here but is worth keeping safe. 8. Mandalong Sera has had a few chances but stayed on well here on a heavy track last start and if she runs up to that is an each-way chance. 6. Pancake ran last on debut at Tuncurry but was in the market and spelled straight away. Recent trial not bad and she could step up.
How to play it: You’re Next WIN ($1.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
You’re Next’s first-up fourth at Warwick Farm on June 12
|Race 3 – 1.35PM ROBERT OATLEY WINE MAKERS DINNER PLATE (1000 METRES)|
Tried to go away from 2. Covert Ops but like the first two favourites he does appear to have his chance to post a win. Solid first-up to Splintex then on the inside of the track when claimed late by Catwalk at Randwick. Sets up well here and entitled to win.
Dangers: 10. Mistress Mouse is an interesting runner who will probably give a sight fresh. Held her ground in good quality maiden before a spell and had excuses on debut. Latest trial she was allowed to run and won well. Definite chance. 1. Arthur In Charge has been around the mark in all three trials to date and a wide barrier isn’t necessarily a disadvantage here on a wet track. One to keep a close eye on. 4. Chillichoc held her ground in what looked to be a handy trial at Rosehill a couple of weeks back on a heavy track. Wouldn’t shock to see her run a cheeky race fresh.
How to play it: Covert Ops WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Covert Ops runs third at Randwick on June 8
|Race 4 – 2.10PM HRC HOTEL PLATE (1100 METRES)|
4. Caesura gets one more chance onto a bigger track after placings in two runs back at Wyong. Granted she had her chance last time but with more time to balance up and travel, with the blinkers on, she could easily improve sharply.
Dangers: 7. Menagerie recorded a couple of nice placings in her first preparation and returns with a comfortable trial win under the belt. Expect she’ll be in the firing line for a long way and any support for her would be significant. 2. War Deck is a stablemate to Menagerie and was fancied when unplaced at this track back in November. Just the one trial coming into this and no reason he won’t improve this time in. 6. Laila De Vega improved with racing last time in, this might be a bit short for her fresh but she has trialled well on a soft track so a placing is within reach.
How to play it: Caesura WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Caesura runs third at Wyong on June 20
|Race 5 – 2.45PM KILLAHY EQUINE HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
9. American Salute might represent some each-way value first-up from a spell in conditions he’s proven in before a break. Drawn nicely to be just off the speed and after a cruisy trial win he should run well fresh.
Dangers: 6. Lagarde is favourite and was scratched from Canterbury to run here. She was run down over this course almost a month ago at her last run but she never runs a bad race and can be expected to take catching again. 12. Azcannyaz must go in as he ran Lagarde down fair and square when resuming and this isn’t any harder. Worse off at the weights but usually runs well second-up so should hold his form. 1. Sedition hasn’t trialled publicly as he resumes since February. Placed three of four fresh and right back in class on what he’s met in recent runs. Claim helps too so keep in mind.
How to play it: American Salute E/W ($9.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
American Salute wins a trial at Warwick Farm on June 21
|Race 6 – 3.20PM THE CHAIRMAN’S MILE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
3. Quick Finance was scratched from Canterbury for this and he backed up an easy Kembla win with another sound effort at Wyong. He’ll roll forward and put himself in the firing line. Hard to beat with the scratchings helping his cause.
Dangers: 1. Golden Hits has been a little disappointing since switching back to the provincials after a couple of handy efforts in town. But he has been competitive and should be so here too. 8. Nautibernie ran an acceptable race first-up then a bit below par last time at Wyong. Softer track is in her favour though and now she’s had the two runs back should be ready to fire. 5. Neshmiya was a big drifter at Warwick Farm last time but form prior was sound so she's worth another chance.
How to play it: Quick Finance WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds).
Quick Finance runs second at Wyong on June 20
|Race 7 - 3:55PM CONFERENCING & EVENTS AT HRC HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
5. Martha Heights may only have won a Bathurst maiden first-up but she made it look like an exercise gallop on a soft track so she comes here with that easy win under the belt. This is harder of course but it is only a Class 1 and she looks up to it.
Dangers: 1. Snips worked through the field with some ease and had his chance when beaten favourite at Gosford but still hit the line well into third. Down a notch here so entitled to another chance. 4. Happy Hustler broke through at start 20 then held his form chasing home El Coyote at Kembla from well back. No reason he can’t be somewhere in the finish again. 7. Secretly can’t do any more than with by a margin on debut and she did that at Kembla despite being a slight drifter in betting. Blinkers go on and she’s one of the main players too.
How to play it: Martha Heights E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Martha Heights wins easily at Bathurst on June 17
|Race 8 - 4:35PM IRRESISTIBLE POOLS AND SPAS HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
9. He’s A Given can mix his form but showed a glimpse at Wyong last time running on from last into a close fourth. Handles the wet and generally runs well here so with the scratchings he's entitled to feature.
Dangers: 8. Rexx is another inconsistent type but two back he ran well in a reasonable form race at Newcastle but led and faded at Randwick after that. Easier here so no surprise to see him lift. 1. Darci's Affair generally handles a wet track and while his first-up form is patchy at best this race has fallen away and he's well placed to show something. 12. One Of The Kind is another aided by the scratchings and he wasn't far away in a similar sort of race here a month ago. Worth throwing in with the light weight.
How to play it: He's A Given E/W ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
He's A Given runs fourth at Wyong on June 20