By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Hawkesbury meeting. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM TAB PLATE (1100 METRES)|
6. Nos Oriens might be the way to go on debut where most of the chances have plenty of convictions. Hit the line well in her latest trial at Hawkesbury and in a race with a few potential leaders should be the one charging down the outside late.
Dangers: 7. Torrid is a stablemate to Nos Oriens, she’d been competitive in three runs this time in. Fair to say she was there to win at Newcastle last time on the turn and while she didn’t put it away she was only beaten a half length or so. Blinkers go on so worth another chance. 1. Gallant Run is an on pacer and has given a good sight at his last couple at this track. Might have bumped into a handy one last time and given his racing pattern he should be around the mark again. 8. Titan Star has had a few chances given this is his 11th start but he was competitive in a similar race over this course last start so is worth including in the main hopes.
How to play it: Nos Oriens WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Nos Oriens runs third in a Hawkesbury trial on June 15
|Race 2 – 1.25PM ASCEND SALES TROPHIES HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
2. Layla Of Monaco did more than enough on debut at Kembla to suggest she can improve. Spent plenty of time going sideways to get to the outside first-up and closed off nicely late. Firmer track and extra 100m are pluses. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 5. Vigoroso probably didn’t love the heavy track first-up but improved quickly back at Newcastle when a close second over 1400m. Should be at peak now, drawn well and drops in weight after the claim. Expect him to run a big race here. 11. Timely Shadow contested the same race at what was her second run back and she was hampered close to the line so the 1.7 length margin is a little misleading. Getting close to a win and is in the mix. 3. Mooy is back to provincial grade after a couple of shots in town and comes off a third at Canterbury though safely held. Was up 450m there so fitter and this is a good option for her.
How to play it: Layla Of Monaco WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Layla Of Monaco runs fourth at Kembla Grange on June 13
|Race 3 – 2:05PM NEW HAVEN FARM HOME HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Loiter has only had the one trial and you had to like the way she moved in running an easy second over the 800m. Very well bred filly with upside and she should play a major role. Keep an eye on betting for the late push that’s needed.
Dangers: 7. Tolerate trialled quite nicely before a disappointing effort at Canterbury on a heavy 10. Prepared to overlook that, drawn well and on everything she’s shown previously is well up to winning this. 6. Disengage was well held on debut back in January and went straight out. Opened up a huge lead in her trial beating Loiter so it’ll be interesting to see the tactics employed here. Keep in mind. 5. Magical Angel looked as though she’d improve coming out of her trial at Warwick Farm a month ago. Wouldn’t shock to see her run a cheeky race especially if there’s any support.
How to play it: Loiter WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Loiter runs second in a Hawkesbury trial on June 15
|Race 4 – 2:45PM INDEPENDENT LIQUOR GROUP PLATE (1000 METRES)|
7. Bourbon Rose has the race experience and she stuck to the task well first-up in what may be a strong city maiden at Warwick Farm. If one of the first starters is very smart it might make her task hard but on face value is entitled to go close.
Dangers: 2. Magic Ruler is trialling well and didn’t appear to be asked for a supreme effort in running second at Rosehill in his latest hit out. Nash takes the ride as he did in the trial and commands some respect. 1. Circularity gave a sight in the Breeders Plate on debut then bumped into Rothfire at his only other start. Trialled on the synthetic so that’s a bit of a query but otherwise has to be considered. 4. Mr Colorful was a drifter in betting first-up at Gosford where he led and was run down by a horse with a bit of form around him. Likely to be right on the pace again and that gives him his chance.
How to play it: Bourbon Rose E/W ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Bourbon Rose runs third at Warwick Farm on June 17
|Race 5 – 3:20PM ASBESTOS DISEASES FOUNDATION HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
4. Capri Of Tuffy is bursting to win a race and this looks a nice option after her last start third a week ago at Kembla. Ran well in two solid enough runs in town prior to that and should get a nice run somewhere near the speed. Good chance.
Dangers: 3. Nishka is another who is ready to win this time in. Thought her first-up run behind Bound To Win was handy then ran on into a place at Wyong. Gate one this time and close to her peak now. One of the main dangers. 9. Tawaret is one of those horses that bobs up now and then and she had some support at odds last time at Newcastle behind a smart type. Only one win in 19 starts but this is a good set up for her to show something. 1. Lettre D’Amour appreciated a drop in class when scoring at Bathurst after racing on the speed. Generally a consistent type at this sort of level and she’s an each-way hope.
How to play it: Capri Of Tuffy WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Capri Of Tuffy runs third at Kembla on June 25
|Race 6 – 3:55PM WINDSOR ROTARY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
5. Rabbit Clause is well worth another chance after his unplaced effort at Wyong two weeks ago where the way the track played denied him any shot. Was a real eye-catcher first-up and if they roll along at a reasonable tempo he’ll be hitting the line hard.
Dangers: 1. Military Academy was scratched from Kensington to run here and there has been merit in both runs this time in. Chased a tearaway leader at Randwick second-up and held on quite well to run fourth. Fitter and loves his home track. Must be included. 2. Snowfire is a big watch on the state switch for the Hawkes stable. Even effort on the synthetic last start and wasn’t disgraced in his city start at Caulfield prior. Watch betting for a push either way. 8. Skyray is threatening to do something with closing fourths at his past two starts. Tends to run well here and he’ll do his usual thing. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Rabbit Clause E/W ($9.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Rabbit Clause’s first-up run at Wyong on June 4
|Race 7 – 4:35PM PINK FINSS CHARITY HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Special Date hasn’t done a lot wrong in her five starts and resumes after a couple of country wins and a game second at Newcastle in the summer. Had plenty up her sleeve in winning a trial here recently and looks a very good chance.
Dangers: 2. Lord Zoulander is flying at present with wins on soft and heavy ground at Kembla at his past couple. Drops in class on his latest win over a subsequent city winner and kept fresh. Can give a good sight. 7. Snitzinnati has won two from three and was far too good as an odds-on favourite over this course in March before a spell. Two trials have been on the quiet side so keep an eye on betting for a push to where she’s at. If solid she’ll go close. 8. Bedtime Stories has performed well in better company and resumes after going off the boil at the end of last preparation. Tends to race well fresh and no surprise to see her put herself somewhere in the finish at odds.
How to play it: Special Date WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Special Date wins a trial at Hawkesbury on June 15