By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Hawkesbury meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:10PM CHARITY RACEDAYS AT HRC PLATE (1000 METRES)|
7. Vibrant is a nicely bred filly on debut and showed plenty of race sense with an on pace trial win at Wyong two weeks ago. Expecting her to be prominent, watch betting of course, and give a good account first-up.
Dangers: 1. Shadow Colour has been placed in six of his seven starts and went down narrowly over this course second-up. You know he’ll run a good race and capable of winning if the breaks go his way. 8. Zanzidance drew wide and wasn’t disgraced in what turned out to be a strong maiden won by Peltzer back in April at Kembla. Had a few trials and the latest was okay, pushed up a bit, at Rosehill. Keep safe. 6. Outstanding hasn't stood out at the trials but from strong stable and in the small field could show up.
How to play it: Vibrant WIN ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Vibrant wins a trial at Wyong on September 10
|Race 2 – 1.50PM PINK FINSS CHARITY PLATE (1300 METRES)|
7. Yulong Code was scratched from Canterbury for this and it’s a race that is at his mercy. No luck in two starts so far in handy maidens and showed he’s in order with a sharp trial win at Rosehill recently. Hard to go past.
Dangers: 1. Explosive Truth will likely lead this field and tried to lead all the way first-up at Kembla two weeks ago, as favourite, but was run down late. Fitter for that and sure to give them something to chase. 8. Spring Charm is a query runner on debut for strong stable and betting could be a good guide here given her quiet trial just over a week ago. Certainly capable of being placed at least. 4. Bullet Rider was a drifter in betting first-up and didn't do a whole lot. Small field here and could be an improver.
How to play it: Yulong Code WIN ($1.95 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Yulong Code wins a trial at Rosehill on September 15
|Race 3 – 2:25PM WINDSOR ROTARY HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
3. Well Known comes off a maiden win but it was a very strong one leading all the way at Kembla about two weeks ago. Expecting him to lead again here and an extra 100m is well within reach. Hard to run down.
Dangers: 1. Luvoir broke through in easy fashion at Nowra on a heavy track then came off second best in a two horse war at Goulburn. Racing well and sure to be in the finish again. 6. Oribella has been finding the line quite well at her last couple of starts over 1400m in similar company. Probably gets into the second half of the field and should be running on as usual. 4. Foxy Rocket doesn’t win out of turn but he’s placed in five of his six starts at this track and last start rocketed home when it was all over at Goulburn over 1300m. Must be included in the chances.
How to play it: Well Known WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Well Known wins at Kembla Grange on September 12
|Race 4 – 3:05PM NEW HAVEN FARM HOME HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Elizabeel has measured up against better company and she shook off the maiden in good style from on the pace at Wyong second-up. No harder here considering her previous city form and she could easily repeat.
Dangers: 3. Sweet Reply had support first-up and just found Front Money a bit slick at Newcastle. Only query is coming back 100m from an outside gate but she’s a major player. 2. Gimme Shelter is handy enough on her day and pay to overlook her failure before a spell when she was unplaced at Goulburn as favourite, having bled. Trialling okay and no surprise to see her give some cheek. 5. All Hallows’ Eve was unwanted in betting on debut but swept down the outside on a heavy track to win easily. Same trip but dry track so interesting to see how she measures up.
How to play it: Elizabeel WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Elizabeel wins at Wyong on August 30
|Race 5 – 3:40PM MOUNTIES GROUP HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
7. Lord Olympus looks a promising type and has been too strong at both starts to date over 900m and 1000m. From gate one should get the nice trail again and that gives him the chance to finish over the top again.
Dangers: 10. Conscript has won both starts in the country in very easy style. He trialled okay behind Kumasi at Rosehill recently, he’s been well placed to do date and this is a natural step. Represents a threat. 4. Riccardo is a handy on pacer who was too good on a heavy track before boxing on well behind Green Mountain at Newcastle at 1200m. Drawn to be thereabouts in the run and no surprise to see him in the finish. 3. Shadow Crush had excuses first-up over 900m then much improved showing at Wyong when narrowly beaten. Likely drifts back from the outside gate but runs on strongly and has each-way claims.
How to play it: Lord Olympus WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lord Olympus wins at Kembla Grange on September 12
|Race 6 – 4:20PM BLUE DATTO FOUNDATION HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
5. If You Say So is worth a look first-up as a gelding. After an even debut he took on better company in town and wasn’t disgraced in one of them. Blinkers go on, trialled against open horses and drawn to have every chance.
Dangers: 2. Disengage is close to a win and has found one better in the past couple at this track and distance. Drawn out but probably rolls forward and should be thereabouts at the finish. Can win with luck. 1. War Cabinet has only failed once in six starts and that was before a spell when in the market at this track in December. Ran last in a trial but not tested and is worth keeping safe. 11. Supertanker led them up when third in the same race as Disengage here a couple of weeks ago. Back on top of the ground here and is capable of being placed.
How to play it: If You Say So E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
If You Say So runs fourth in a Gosford trial on September 2
|Race 7 – 4:55PM HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY PETER HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
5. Military Academy is Mr Reliable at this track and was his usual game self when runner-up on heavy ground here two weeks ago. Down in weight, drawn well and he can only be very competitive once again.
Dangers: 3. Asudem is fitter for one run back where he didn’t have a lot of luck racing wide at Canterbury. This trip suits him a lot better and expect he’ll press forward onto the speed. Must be given another chance. 4. Zell held his ground fairly behind a runaway winner at Canterbury last time. Popular winner at Newcastle before that, suited back a notch in class and drawn well. One of the main hopes. 8. Ladies’ Gem tends to run well here and showed something of a return to form with an even third over a mile at Wyong last start. Unplaced just once in eight starts at this trip and is worth some thought for the minors at least.
How to play it: Military Academy WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Military Academy runs second at Hawkesbury on September 10
|Race 8 – 5:30PM FRIDAY’S ON THE TERRACE HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
8. Satin Rain has shaped up pretty well over shorter trips in two runs back from a spell running on late just behind the placings. Drifter in betting second-up but beaten just over a length and the step up in trip now suits. Has to be in the finish somewhere.
Dangers: 3. La Tigresa is in top form this prep with a couple of wins at 1400m on both wet and dry tracks. First try at the extra trip but racing well and drawn to get a soft enough run. Hard to knock. 4. Moon Panther led and weakened late when resumed on a heavy track here two weeks ago so will be fitter and a firmer track suits. Best form is good enough to put him in the mix. 2. Brown Thomas had some support at odds first-up and wasn't far away in fourth over 1400m here. Extra ground a plus so expect him to run a handy race.
How to play it: Satin Rain E/W ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Satin Rain runs fourth at Kembla Grange on September 17