By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Sunday’s meeting at Hawkesbury. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 1:45PM AFPA BUILDING SERVICES PLATE (1100 METRES)|
3. Nuclear Burst had form around a few city class performers from his first preparation including a debut second on a heavy track. Two trials back have him ready to go and it won’t be too long before he breaks through, this race being a big chance.
Dangers: 8. Ballad was no match for the winner on debut at Wyong but she held her ground to the line to run second. Better for that and an extra 100m is a plus. If she can improve off that run she’s a threat. 7. A Fortunate Lass is on debut after a handy recent trial performance at Rosehill where she was narrowly beaten. In top stable and drawn nicely. One to keep a close eye on. 4. Ticket Keeper was a big drifter at his only start and wasn’t disgraced behind a horse that has won again since. Expect him to take improvement from that and if there’s support it would be worth noting.
How to play it: Nuclear Burst WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Nuclear Burst runs second in a Wyong trial on December 3
|Race 2 - 2:20PM JULIUS FLOORING HANDICAP (2000 METRES)|
4. Roland Garros is the fresh horse on the scene from an in-form stable and while beaten last start at Wodonga he battled on well after leading. At peak here fourth-up and in a race of few chances he should take plenty of beating.
Dangers: 2. Equipped is the logical danger and he won’t know himself back into this grade after a string of starts in city company. Strike rate is a bit of a worry but solid behind Mazaz last time and will win if Roland Garros doesn’t. 1. Dusk Falls is an import who didn’t show a lot in four starts in Victoria but lands in a weak race, fresh and in good hands. Probably a surprise if he won but wouldn’t shock to see him show something. The other two runners look outclassed.
How to play it: Roland Garros WIN ($2.10 TAB Fixed Odds).
Roland Garros runs second at Wodonga on November 30
|Race 3 – 2.55PM JSJ ROOFING PLATE (1600 METRES)|
7. Rock Zone was scratched from Canterbury on Friday night for this and it might be a good move as he looks well placed. Touched out over this course two starts ago then right in the market and ran on again at Canterbury. Only has to hold his form to be right in the finish.
Dangers: 3. Ausfighter led them up and showed a glimpse of form fighting on for fourth at Warwick Farm at his third start. Stepping out to a mile and he is the likely leader, no surprise to see him take plenty of running down. 9. Deliya has been beaten a couple of lengths at both starts to date at this track. It appears she’ll appreciate the mile and from the inside gate might not be too far away this time. Each-way claims. 4. Commentator will be better off over a bit more ground, though the soft track will help, but is much better than his failure over 2100m last time suggests.
How to play it: Rock Zone WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Rock Zone finishes second at Canterbury on November 30
|Race 4 – 3.35PM RIDGEWATER PLUMBING HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Schnapps looks to have been wound up for a first-up win with two trial wins under his belt. Sent out favourite on debut and wasn’t disgraced behind Roosevelt at Warwick Farm. Back to a maiden on his home track and is the one they have to beat.
Dangers: 1. I’m A Legend has missed a place once in seven starts and while he will be more effective over a bit more ground than 1100m he is worth respecting. Fitter for two trials over a short trip and is a good chance. 5. Thorn Brook led but was no match for what looks a promising type when resuming at Muswellbrook. He held the rest comfortably and while drawn wide he’ll go forward and could give cheek. 2. Bad Boy For Love hasn’t raced since June when placed on a heavy track here after leading. Both recent trials have also been at this track and he’s not to be left out.
How to play it: Schnapps WIN ($1.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Schnapps wins a trial at Wyong on December 3
|Race 5 – 4.10PM FRIEND CIVIL HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Sylvia’s Mother looks to be above average and if that’s the case she should take care of this field. Placed in a strong maiden on debut then cruised in over this course back in August before a break. Has won a trial and while she hasn’t seen a soft track she’s clearly on top. Read jockey Tommy Berry's comments here.
Dangers: 1. Vincero didn’t come up last time in but showed a return to form with a handy first-up second at Gosford a few weeks ago. Kept fit with a trial recently and if he can repeat the fresh effort he’s right in this. 3. Angelo was narrowly beaten on a heavy track on debut here then went one better for a maiden win. Failed as favourite before a spell, pulling up with a poor recovery, but back with a nice trial he’s entitled to another chance. 2. Dortmund hasn’t raced since July but has shown a liking for a bit of give in the track. Has run some handy races in midweek city company for previous stable and could get into the placings.
How to play it: Sylvia’s Mother WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds).
Sylvia’s Mother wins her trial at Rosehill on December 4
|Race 6 - 4:55PM DIRECT ELECTRICAL SUPPLIES HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Lucky Louie hasn’t missed a bit in three runs for the new stable and is back in class after a game fourth at Warwick Farm on a heavy track a couple of weeks back. No issues with the 1400m, drawn well and it’d be a surprise if she’s not right in the finish.
Dangers: 7. Miss Redoble took on a couple of better races before coming back a notch and proving too strong at Scone last start. That was 1200m and she has been placed at a mile so this trip suits and she should feature. 2. Zabeel’s Choice flopped on a heavy track then back in trip and held her ground at Newcastle last time. Much better off at this trip and she’s well worth another chance. 4. Kathaire has only won one from 16 but is usually around the mark. Rare failure here two starts back then left it a bit too late when runner-up at Orange. She’ll be competitive once again.
How to play it: Lucky Louie E/W ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Lucky Louie runs fourth at Warwick Farm on November 28
|Race 7 - 5:35PM BIOWORMA HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. He’s A Given is just too well placed here not to take plenty of beating. Back in class after running his usual honest races in town of late including placings on both good and heavy tracks. Sting out of the track suits him, loves this track and drawn well. Entitled to be in the finish.
Dangers: 2. Playard attacked the line just behind the placings second-up at this track then again made ground when placed at Goulburn. Will get back as usual and will be running on strongly. 9. Unknown Universe burst to the front and looked the winner last start only to be grabbed late by an in-form horse that has performed well in the city since. Yet to run a bad race and that’s unlikely to change here. 10. Foxdown was an impressive winner at Muswellbrook first-up and given his best performances have come at a mile he'll appreciate the extra distance. With the scratchings he comes right into contention.
How to play it: He’s A Given WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
He’s A Given runs on into second at Warwick Farm on December 5