By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Gosford. Selections based on a good to soft track.
|Race 1 – 1:30PM CENTRAL COAST CRUSADERS BASKETBALL PLATE (2100 METRES)|
2. Tombstone had a bit of a rap on him after his amazing win at Newcastle in November, fair to say he hasn’t gone on as yet but this is a good chance. Safely held when second last start but the winner is smart and the third horse has since won. Every chance in the small field.
Dangers: 4. Donnachiara knocked the maiden over in good style down at Moruya and being out of a Zabeel mare you’d think the extra distance will only assist. Very winnable race and shapes as a threat. 1. Auburn Boy has won one from 16 but is racing quite well without winning. Handled the 1800m okay at Wagga last time and sure to be thereabouts. 5. Bellatrix Queen hasn’t raced since December when placed at Gosford and Wellington over staying trips so the trip is no issue. Nine start maiden though has been going around in Class 1s. Could place.
How to play it: Tombstone WIN ($1.95 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Tombstone runs second at Newcastle on February 8
|Race 2 – 2.05PM SURE THING METAL ROOFING PLATE (1000 METRES)|
2. Kumasi is a $500,000 purchase who looked very smart winning his only trial at Randwick earlier this month. Showed some natural speed there so expect him to roll forward and if he runs up to the trial be hard to beat.
Dangers: 5. Absolutely Foxy led them up in the Inglis Millennium and was only cut out of third place late. Both starts have had merit in stronger races so well worth considering. 4. Understatement and 6. Daniki have trialled nicely enough as well, neither would shock if they featured in the finish.
How to play it: Kumasi WIN ($2.15 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Kumasi wins a trial at Randwick on February 6
|Race 3 – 2:40PM AIRPAK SHEETMETAL PLATE (1100 METRES)|
8. Smart Success is a very well bred filly on debut for the Waterhouse/Bott stable coming off a trial win a few weeks back. She made hard work of it but it was only 742m, drawn well to push forward and expect her to give a good sight.
Dangers: 1. High Academy has taken a while to get to the track but her last couple of trials have been somewhat encouraging. Latest was on the synthetic and she wasn’t overly pushed. Keep in mind. 7. Enamour has the race experience and the blinkers on after running third at Canberra off a month’s break. She was only fair late there so will need to improve but this is the right scenario to do that. 4. Alchermes comes through the same trial as Smart Success and ran fourth after coming from near last. Inside alley here and could run a cheeky race.
How to play it: Smart Success WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Smart Success wins a trial at Randwick on February 6
|Race 4 – 3:15PM CENTRAL COAST GRANITE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. Our Girl Sniti looks to have the right form lines from her first-up third at Randwick to say this is a good chance for her to post a win especially after the scratchings. Chased home Sea Of Life and Olympic Legend there, drawn nicely and you’d assume she has improvement with the run under her belt. Go well.
Dangers: 6. Aunty had some support at odds and found the line okay at Moruya last time, at her second start. Might find this a bit tougher but still has some upside and is an each-way chance. 3. Speedzone gets the blinkers on so expect some improvement on his last start seventh at Goulburn where perhaps he didn't love the heavy ground. 7. Sebring Lass jumps straight to a mile after running on fairly on debut at 1200m. Potential improver if she handles it.
How to play it: Our Girl Sniti WIN ($1.35 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Our Girl Sniti runs second at Kensington on February 5
|Race 5 – 3:50PM BISHOP COLLINS CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
5. Front Money trialled like a promising horse then won like one that’s above average on debut at Newcastle a month ago. Sure it was 900m but had no favours and was running away on the line. Drawn well here, up in class but has to have upside and if she is smart she can take this step.
Dangers: 1. Mo’s Crown has shown ability and interesting that he’s now a gelding. Posted two trial wins and his only real failures have come in Group company. Drawn’s a bit sticky but rather include than dismiss. 4. Empress Bea couldn’t have been more impressive breaking through for a maiden win at her second start at this track a few weeks ago. Back to 1000m but can’t knock her on that and is a good chance. 2. Nature caught the eye a couple of times before she broke through on a heavy track at Wyong in September. She’ll probably get back from the outside gate but if they overdo it and she finds a back to follow she can finish over the top. Certainly watch for her late.
How to play it: Front Money WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Front Money wins at Newcastle on January 25
|Race 6 – 4:25PM HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARTIN – NOT 40 YET STAKES (1200 METRES)|
6. Moccasin Miss is racing in super form this time in and while her strike rate could be better she’s putting in and that will take her a long way in an open race. Run down by a smart one at Gosford last time, she’s going to be thereabouts at the finish and is a winning chance.
Dangers: 3. Surreal Step resumes as a gelding with the one trial on the synthetic under his belt. Only the one poor run last time in and was spelled and gelded afterward so being forgiving there, drawn well and looms as a threat. Follow the market. 2. Soul Revival found the line well when resuming at Newcastle though didn’t look like getting into the placings at any stage. Better for it and his second-up record is strong enough to keep him on the radar here. 7. Howra raced on the pace at Kembla last time and stuck on well in a close finish, holding third. Similar sort of assignment here and she’s an each-way contender.
How to play it: Moccasin Miss E/W ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Moccasin Miss runs third at Gosford on February 15
|Race 7 – 5:05PM BREAKERS COUNTRY CLUB $100,000 BOBS PLATINUM HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
5. Animate is a progressive gelding facing his toughest test but so far he’s climbing the ladder nicely. Hit the line well first-up then up to 1400m at Scone romped away late. Mile looks to suit, drawn to be probably midfield or worse but has a good finish on him and no surprise at all to see him measure up.
Dangers: 14. Parche had excuses when a beaten favourite first-up then good strong win at Kembla to break through. Will relish the mile though may not love the tighter track. If she can get comfortable and balance up she’ll hit the line hard. 11. Marise looked to have improvement in her on her first-up effort at Newcastle over 1500m so if that’s the case she’s going to be competitive. Lightly raced, Waller/McEvoy combination and on the up so has to be considered. 9. Gemmahra has been impressive in back to back country wins and was freshened up after her easy Muswellbrook success. Trialled well, will put herself in the race and is one of the chances.
How to play it: Animate E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Animate wins at Scone on February 11