By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s meeting at Gosford. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 12:00PM REWARDS HOSPITALITY PLATE (1200 METRES)|
2. Magic Town did enough first-up for a year at Kembla to suggest there’s improvement and if that’s the case he’s struck a winnable race. Closed off okay at 1000m fresh, goes to 1200m from a soft gate and should run well.
Dangers: 6. Rubikat tackled a country maiden first-up at Tuncurry but she attacked the line with plenty of purpose to go down narrowly. On her Tasmanian form she should appreciate 1200m and is at least heading the right way. 1. Dark Comedy wqill likely lead from the outside gate, he was run down at Grafton two weeks ago after leading and has had a few chances but this is yet another one. 4. Say Goodbye held his ground okay first-up at Kembla though safely held by the first couple home. Less depth there so no surprise to see him lift a bit.
How to play it: Magic Town E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Magic Town runs fourth at Kembla Grange on May 11
|Race 2 - 12:35PM MAX 2YO PLATE (1600 METRES)|
1. Chains Of Honour is the big watch on debut at a mile in a race thrown wide open with the original odds-on favourite’s scratching. He’s very well bred and his trials have been okay considering he’s starting at a mile. Any support would be encouraging.
Dangers: 5. New Offer debuted in the 1100m race won by Exceedance at Wyong and while he was outpaced he wasn’t disgraced finishing midfield. Straight to this trip which he should handle on pedigree and he’s a threat. 6. Peralta promised a bit early and comes back in class on his two runs back from a spell. To be fair he just held his ground at Warwick Farm last time and will need to show a bit more zip but this is the easiest task he’s had. 2. Crown Affair stayed fairly at his first go at a mile at Kembla Grange but is yet to live up to his breeding. Like his stablemate he needs to lift a bit but in the small field it’s not out of the question for him to improve.
How to play it: Chains Of Honour WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds).
Chains Of Honour’s latest trial at Rosehill on May 24
|Race 3 – 1.15PM KONAMI HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
2. Super Pins has taken a little while to get to the track but he’s trialled very well on two occasions leading into this race and the perfect draw is a bonus for him. Entitled to be favourite and looks hard to beat.
Dangers: 6. Accoutrements is a sister to Helmet and half-sister to Epaulette on debut on the back of two recent trials. Asked for a bit more in her second and if she has any of the family talent she’ll run well. 5. On Her Word hasn’t raced since a luckless defeat here back in January where she found herself three wide on the speed in a five horse race and went down a head. Must respect. 1. Manly Cove bumped into the handy River Bird when he resumed at Wyong a couple of weeks ago and it’s no disgrace to run second. Fitter for that and it’s just a matter of whether he’s found another one or two smart ones here.
How to play it: Super Pins WIN ($1.95 TAB Fixed Odds).
Super Pins runs second in a trial at Randwick on May 6
|Race 4 – 1.50PM WYONG LEAGUES GROUP HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Green Reign is an interesting runner here after being a beaten favourite in a Highway first-up at Rosehill. He was strong late there though running fourth, clocking the fastest last 600m of the race in 35.09 (Punter's Intelligence), and has the blinkers on. Well worth another chance.
Dangers: 1. A Million Dreams had excuses first-up behind Phaistos at Scone and to his credit he didn’t drop out but kept trying to the line. Has form around Ljungberg from last prep and is capable of lifting. 4. Power Lift was good on debut at Wyong in April then also down the track in the Phaistos race at Scone. Inclined to give him another chance given he’s only had the two starts and won so well first-up. 3. Cry Of Achilles races handy and managed to fend off the challengers to post his maiden win at Kembla last start. Consistent so can't be overlooked.
How to play it: Green Reign WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds).
Green Reign runs fourth at Rosehill on May 18
|Race 5 – 2.25PM BREAKERS COUNTRY CLUB PLATE (2100 METRES)|
6. Road To Blue Sky engaged in a war with the leader from about the 800m at Wyong last time and was left a sitting shot, going under late. Slight class rise but doesn’t look any harder on paper and he could easily atone.
Dangers: 2. Continuation started in the market in a good form race at Newcastle and just missed a place then seemed to have his chance at Mudgee. Senior rider on here and if he’s in the form of his Newcastle effort he’ll go close. 9. The Boomerang will probably lead again after being part of the Road To Blue Sky stoush at his third start. Hard fit now so inclined to leave him in the chances. 3. Momentum Amethyst ran an improved race to place at a mile at Wyong two weeks ago and the extra ground might be up his alley. Each-way.
How to play it: Road To Blue Sky WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
Road To Blue Sky runs second at Wyong on May 16
|Race 6 – 3.05PM MUNMORAH BOWLING CLUB HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
6. Litzen had a wide run first-up at Kembla where he had some support and no surprise to see him a bit one paced late. Better for that and did improve quickly second-up last time in. Drawn well and is a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 3. Ladies’ Gem bounced off a failure two starts back to hit the line nicely out to 1350m two weeks ago. Has a couple of placings at this trip to his name and is one of the chances. No knock on 10. Pop Girl is more than capable of showing up and 9. Neshmiya beat Miss Louisiana when winning last start so can’t be ignored either.
How to play it: Litzen E/W ($12 TAB Fixed Odds).
Litzen had excuses for his first-up sixth at Kembla on May 11
|Race 7 - 3:40PM GOSFORD RSL HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Foxpack is a likely improver here after a luckless first-up run at Scone where she was back and wide and never a factor. Much easier here and drawn to have every chance so well worth a look each-way.
Dangers: 1. Buckin’ Beauty comes through the same race as Foxpack and she stayed on pretty well up near the speed in running fourth. Has been thereabouts and with a bit of luck is a winning chance. 4. Gorgons seemed to have her chance at Wyong two weeks ago in running third over this trip. Drifter in betting there too but racing consistently and is one of the hopes. 7. Impurity finally struck it for a win at start 17 last start at Wyong and while she is up in class now she’s far too honest to be leaving out of the chances given the run she’s likely to be afforded.
How to play it: Foxpack E/W ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Foxpack winning at Kembla Grange back in February
|Race 8 - 4:15PM ETTALONG DIGGERS HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
7. Chilled Rose has been well placed here to send punters home a winner. Close up in a strong city maiden before winning well at Hawkesbury then last time beaten favourite there but went down fighting. Kept fresh and she’ll be hard to beat.
Dangers: 6. Oxford Angel looks the main threat, and a decent one, on the back of a very impressive trial win at Wyong on May 22 where she led and put a gap in the chasers. Must respect. 4. Celer disappointed last start when favourite as he appeared to have every hope getting a run at the right time but he didn’t dash. Usually thereabouts and is capable of better. 5. Little Steiny is back in class after an even effort at Newcastle in a BM70, placed at Wyong prior to that and could sneak into the placings from a soft draw.
How to play it: Chilled Rose WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Chilled Rose’s last start third at Hawkesbury in April