By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Gosford meeting. Selections based on a heavy track.
|Race 1 – 2:10PM TOOHEYS PLATE (1600 METRES)|
4. She’s No Princess is an on pacer who has been competitive in two of her three starts for the new stable. Led them up at Newcastle and kicked away before being reeled in late over this trip. Wet track shouldn’t be an issue and she can give a sight.
Dangers: 7. Keck appeals as an improver up in distance after a battling fifth over 1300m at Kembla second-up. No wet track exposure but his dam was city placed on a soft 7 so he might be fine. 10. Mezenn was unfancied on debut at Kembla a few weeks ago and basically held her ground at the 1200m. Up quickly in distance and onto a wet track so keep an eye on the market. 9. Tenacious Lad ran a fair race on debut on a soft track then no match when midfield at Hawkesbury two weeks ago. On breeding he might be okay in the wet and if he is he could be a sharp improver.
How to play it: She’s No Princess WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
She’s No Princess runs third at Newcastle on October 13
|Race 2 – 2.45PM CHRISTMAS FUNCTIONS @ THE EG HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Free Dawn is an interesting first starter by Snitzel and she has trialled up nicely for a big effort on debut. Hasn’t trialled on a wet track but from gate one you’d expect her to be prominent and if she handles the ground go close.
Dangers: 6. Ready To Soar has race experience from two starts back in the autumn for a placing at Orange. Impressive winner of her latest trial at Rosehill and if she runs up to that she will be hard to beat. Has trialled on a heavy track earlier this year. 2. Costa Del Mar has trialled a couple of times on soft tracks, her latest was a sound second at Hawkesbury on a good track a couple of weeks back. Another to keep an eye on and if supported follow the move. 1. That's Better led and knocked up at his only start back in July but did look to have improved in winning a trial earlier this month. Small field so keep safe.
How to play it: Free Dawn WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Free Dawn runs second in a trial at Newcastle on October 2
|Race 3 – 3:20PM SCHOOL FORMALS @ THE EG HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
5. So Sneeky has only had the one trial and looked to be doing it pretty well in running a close second at Warwick Farm earlier this month. Hard to know for sure on a wet track, pedigree looks 50-50 but from gate one expect him to show something based on what we’ve seen.
Dangers: 2. Fantastic Baby is another debutant and he’s a recent trial winner on his home track on good ground. Not beaten far in a heavy track trial in July and is one to keep a close eye on. 3. Haunting Spirit is a 23 start maiden but has recorded 11 placings and a couple of those have been in the wet. Trialled last week and has found Nash Rawiller to ride so wouldn’t be leaving him out. 1. Cosmic Bullet showed glimpses in his first prep and his two trials being at 1200m and above suggest he'll be looking for further but could show up.
How to play it: So Sneeky E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
So Sneeky runs second in a trial on October 15
|Race 4 – 3:55PM PIRTEK CENTRAL COAST HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
5. Stolen Jade has a good record and resumes after a fourth on a heavy track at Kembla back in May as a short priced favourite. Trialled twice and looks ready to run a big race first-up for in-form stable. Wide gate not such a concern and she should run well.
Dangers: 1. Traminer had his first run in almost 18 months for a close second here earlier this month. Ex-Hong Kong galloper with no exposed wet form but one of the hardest to beat if he gets through it. 10. Red Hot is racing well on good tracks, if she handles the ground she can be in the finish again. 9. Supertanker comes through the same race as Red Hot from Newcastle a couple of weeks ago and does have a heavy track placing on her record. Keep in mind.
How to play it: Stolen Jade WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Stolen Jade runs second in a Warwick Farm trial on October 23
|Race 5 – 4:35PM INDUSTREE GROUP HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. Hibiscus Lady is unbeaten at this track and distance and is more than capable on a wet track. Runs well fresh and fitter for a recent trial. Will need that little bit of luck from a tricky gate but it’d be a surprise if she doesn’t run a competitive race.
Dangers: 2. Gidgee Guy is racing very well and has been placed in three of five starts on wet tracks. No match for a smart one at Hawkesbury last time but did find the line strongly. Definite chance. 3. Invincible Kiss rarely runs a bad race at this level and is capable in the wet. A couple of her heavy track failures have been in much stronger company and from barrier one she should be in this for a fair way. 9. Absolutely Foxy is an on pacer who has been effective down to a soft 7 rating. Fitter for one run back and can give a sight.
How to play it: Hibiscus Lady WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Hibiscus Lady runs fourth in a trial at Randwick on October 12
|Race 6 – 5:10PM BENCHMARK 64 HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
3. Off Her Roca comes off a strong win over this course earlier this month and has a heavy track win to her name as well. Stays in the same class and now she’s right at her peak if she can hold that form she will be hard to beat again.
Dangers: 9. Cordyceps Miracle tends to battle away in his races and he did just that when chasing home Off Her Roca last time out. Gets a weight swing in his favour and has handled a heavy track in the past. Definite chance. 8. Sole Heir was a beaten favourite when resuming at Kembla but will be fitter and has a Hawkesbury soft 7 win and a Canterbury heavy fourth to his name. Expecting him to improve. 5. Upscale has a heavy track placing to her name and also has a 2000m run under her belt from her close up fourth at Kembla two weeks ago so a testing mile should suit. Include.
How to play it: Off Her Roca E/W ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Off Her Roca wins at Gosford on October 8