By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s meeting at Gosford. Selections based on a heavy track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM BROADWATER INSURANCE BROKERS PLATE (1600 METRES)|
10. Miyake didn’t have a great deal of luck on debut at Warwick Farm when solid in the market and he certainly wasn’t tested late. Back to the trials since and hit the line well behind Fiery Red and has blinkers on. Not sure about the wet but looks hard to beat.
Dangers: 9. Lewis is a well bred colt who wasn’t disgraced on debut at Warwick Farm over 1300m holding his ground just behind the placings. Blinkers on and has trialled in the wet, certainly bred to relish a mile and further. Expecting improvement. 2. First Footman was sent out favourite at his first Australian start at Newcastle and he found the line pretty well without looking a threat. Down 2kg and may want a bit further but a wet track would make this more of a test. Must include. 1. Brilliance Squared is another to resume as favourite and he worked to the line okay a few weeks ago. Extra trip a plus and he should improve. Might be a run or two away from his top but has a show.
How to play it: Miyake E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Miyake runs second to Fiery Red in a trial at Randwick on August 12
|Race 2 - 1:25PM ITI (NSW) PLATE (1200 METRES)|
13. Maisaa was beaten by a smart one when resuming at Kembla Grange and has some wet track form through her debut behind Erno. Scratched from Wednesday for this race and drawn nicely. She’s not far off a win and has a strong chance here.
Dangers: 10. Impudens debuted on a heavy track at Warwick Farm as favourite and stuck on for a placing. Sent straight to the paddock after that. Two trials back sound and has blinkers on. Big threat. 9. Green Jacket is a bit of a query on debut on a wet track but did trial well on a soft 5 in July to Dawn Passage. Watch betting for a pointer. 5. Madam Oaks has blinkers on first time and that might help her find a length or two, if that’s the case she’s an each-way chance again. Yet to see a heavy track so that’s some query but rather include her as she’s rarely far away.
How to play it: Maisaa E/W ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Maisaa runs second at Kembla Grange on August 8
|Race 3 – 2.05PM NATIONAL FRAME & TRUSS HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Splendid Surprise was always in control taking out a maiden at Wyong earlier this month. On debut he was narrowly beaten on a heavy track so the wet is no issue for him and he’ll be up on the speed. Clearly the horse to beat.
Dangers: 3. Ariege is a consistent mare with handy wet track form resuming with a nice trial win under her belt. Another on pacer who will give a good account. 6. Raay Of Dreams hasn’t done a lot wrong in five starts and looks to be trialling up pretty well for a first-up run. Only career win was on a soft 6 so that’s promising and with even luck from the wide gate is a contender. 5. Lord Zoulander gave a sight in front in a solid C1 at Hawkesbury last time out. Only win was on a soft 7 and it wouldn’t shock to see him somewhere in the placings.
How to play it: Splendid Surprise WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Splendid Surprise wins easily at Wyong on August 2
|Race 4 – 2.40PM REDEYE CONSTRUCTIONS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
4. He’s A Given is a noted wet tracker who has been racing well on good ground of late. Beat The Party Girl on a heavy four runs ago and while the mile is about as far as he wants he’s sure to be competitive in his preferred conditions.
Dangers: 3. Arrogante is coming through the grades well and proved a bit too strong leading all the way at Newcastle a couple of weeks back. A soft track has proven no worries for him and he’s hard fit so big threat again. 5. Bad Boy For Love has been thereabouts of late in similar races and closed off strongly at Kembla last time out when favourite in a wide market. Handles the wet okay and is in the mix. 2. The Cartoonist won well over a mile at Wyong on a soft before a close up fourth at Warwick Farm on good ground. Racing very well of late and only has to hold his form to be a chance.
How to play it: He’s A Given E/W ($8.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
He’s A Given runs fourth at Warwick Farm on August 14
|Race 5 – 3.20PM BORAL TIMBER HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
3. Peak simply got too far back over the 900m scamper at Newcastle first-up but charged to the line in an eye-catching return beaten half a length, he ran a sizzling 32.48 for his last 600m there (Punter's Intelligence). No wet form but 1000m from barrier one gives him every chance and if he handles the ground he’ll take stopping.
Dangers: 10. Penang was sent out a warm favourite on debut at Kembla and was run down by an unfancied stablemate. Had trialled okay on a heavy track leading into that and looks the logical danger. 1. Catapult was solid in betting at his only start back in January and hit the line nicely from well back into second. Trial winner recently in good style and while he hasn’t seen a wet track he could well be okay on pedigree. Keep safe. 2. Head Spins is a local who won a trial in good fashion at Newcastle recently. Not sure where he’ll get to from the wide gate but if there’s some support he’d be worth throwing in multiples.
How to play it: Peak WIN ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Peak runs second at Newcastle on August 15
|Race 6 – 3.55PM SPANTEC SYSTEMS HANDICAP (2100 METRES)|
4. Agosto has drawn the outside but that’s not a bad thing as he found himself bailed up inside horses second-up at Newcastle and by the time he got out it was all too late. Liked how he found the line there and while Gosford is probably not his track momentum is the key to him. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 3. He’s Imposing is another that takes a bit of winding up and he’s tracking towards a win this time in. Comes through the same race at Newcastle where he finished on for a close fourth and he should again be attacking the line. 6. Shaman produced a very nice second-up effort at Warwick Farm beaten less than a length by Almerheri over a mile. Wet is no worry for him and class suits. Definite chance. 16. Nautibernie is racing into some form with a couple of nice enough efforts at Hawkesbury and last start over this course. She does like the wet so that’s a plus and while she’s not as classy as a couple of her rivals potential wise she has conditions to suit her.
How to play it: Agosto WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Agosto’s last start at Newcastle on August 15
|Race 7 - 4:35PM TASMAN KB HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
Big watch on 7. Regal Stage first-up. He started $1.40 on debut over this course in February and won easily then went straight to a BM70 and was placed. Runner-up at his only heavy track run and fitter for two recent trials. Drawn to lead and take running down.
Dangers: 4. Wander chased home Black Magnum on a heavy track first-up this preparation but hasn’t been the same horse on top of the ground. Back in class and entitled to another chance with the wet track. 1. Isorich gave a big sight when placed behind Roheryn at Randwick two starts ago on a soft 7 then dropped out on a good track there two weeks ago. Can be hit and miss but this is the easiest race he’s contested in a while. 5. A Million Dreams was narrowly beaten on a heavy track at Hawkesbury two starts back then a bit plain when in the market at Warwick Farm six weeks ago. Freshened up and could easily find himself in the finish.
How to play it: Regal Stage WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Regal Stage runs third in a Randwick trial on August 12
|Race 8 - 5:10PM WALKER BROS TIMBER SUPPLIES HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
3. Moccasin Miss doesn’t win out of turn but finds herself right back in class on recent efforts. Placed at Rosehill two starts back on a good track and she was narrowly beaten at Canterbury on a soft 7. Needs it all to go right to win but plenty to like about her here.
Dangers: 1. Kedah is yet to see a heavy track but comes off a solid win here a few weeks back when a big drifter in betting. Down in class so goes up in weight and if she gets through the ground she’s a big threat. 2. Sebring Express has an excellent record at this track and while she can mix her form she attacked the line strongly when a close second here on August 13. Doesn’t want a bottomless track but can otherwise handle the wet. Go well. 10. Point Of Interest is a big query on a heavy track first-up at 1200m but everything else about her says she should be very competitive. Too good on debut at 900m and has since trialled twice against handy company. Can’t be overlooked, and check betting for a pointer.
How to play it: Moccasin Miss E/W ($10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Moccasin Miss runs third at Rosehill on July 27