By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s meeting at Gosford. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:40PM BUSHFIRE HAZARD SOLUTIONS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. Trieste was denied in a close finish on debut by a remarkable performance from the winner Tombstone at Newcastle. Can only be better for the run, should race handy and looks to have these covered on what he showed first-up.
Dangers: 1. Dream Maiden is getting closer to a win with a couple of nice enough placings at Kembla on end though it must be said she’s not threatened the winner in either. Sure to be thereabouts. 7. Mr Costigan hit the lead early in the straight but faded badly late when up in trip at Newcastle. Placed twice below a mile prior to that so the drop in distance is a plus and while he’s none from 17 he can improve. 8. Phylave has been thereabouts without winning of late and broke through for his second minor placing in 18 starts at Grafton. Minor hopes best.
How to play it: Trieste WIN ($1.65 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Trieste runs second on debut at Newcastle on November 2
|Race 2 - 2:15PM TERRIGAL UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
5. In Lighten Me should run a race fresh on the back of two very nice trials. Not asked for a lot in the latest running a closing second and did win first-up last time in. Races on the pace and has a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 2. Gaelic Dream is ex-David Hayes and has had two trials for Kris Lees including a second at Newcastle over 1000m where she was held together to the line. Market a good guide but this is a very winnable race so keep safe. 3. Dreaming For More was an easing favourite and led before being reeled in at Wyong two weeks ago. Fitter for that but does go to 1200m which may be a query if she doesn’t get control. 1. Without Conviction was too bad to be true last start here in a stronger event and best to forget that run. Won three straight prior and while drawn wide is capable of being in the finish.
How to play it: In Lighten Me E/W ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
In Lighten Me runs second in a Rosehill trial on November 14
|Race 3 – 2.50PM YELLOW AND NAVY FOUNDATION PLATE (1100 METRES)|
6. Krameric was scratched from a stronger race at Rosehill to run here and this is something of a D-Day for him. Four starts to date have been in better company and he’s been stakes placed three times. His trial was excellent despite being beaten nine lengths, drawn well and entitled to go close.
Dangers: 1. Canzonet looked over the odds first-up on the back of two very good trials. Travelled better than Rari when winning at Warwick Farm in the latest and drawn to get the right run. Hard to beat. 3. Phoenix River was heavily backed at Randwick last time, loomed to win at the 300m then didn’t go on with the job missing a place. Back a notch here and has the talent to win if he finds the will. 4. Shadow Colour probably needs some luck but he hasn’t done a lot wrong in seconds at both starts to date at Kembla. Expect he’ll push forward and shouldn’t be left out of the chances.
How to play it: Krameric WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Krameric runs third in a Rosehill trial on October 29
|Race 4 – 3.25PM LOUVRELAND HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
6. Rebukes must have some ability for Godolphin to persist with her. Just two starts to date and not raced since January when finishing midfield in a maiden here. But her two trials this time in have been super and suggest if she’s going to fire this will be the prep. Drawn nicely and entitled to go close.
Dangers: 10. Red Hot is an interesting runner who hasn’t been seen since a slashing fourth at Kembla back in April at $51. No public trials so check betting for a push but gets gate one and could surprise. 2. Bushido has two trials behind him and they've been okay without being eye catching. Drawn well and any support would be significant. 4. Hellbenders led to the 200m then knocked up behind Dirty Work at Randwick first-up. Fitter for that and might find himself in front here, could give a sight.
How to play it: Rebukes WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Rebukes wins a trial at Warwick Farm on November 6
|Race 5 – 4.00PM DOVMAC MINING AND CONSTRUCTION HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
1. Continuation is going okay without winning, seems to be a bit one paced but is down in class on his last start when beaten two lengths at Randwick. Can win but has had a few chances.
Dangers: 5. Tyrrhenian has struck form at his last couple and raced clear late to break through for his first win in a Class 1 at Wyong two weeks ago. Not much harder here and should run well. 3. The Iron Maiden mixes her form but is always worth throwing in the quaddies just in case. Ran on beaten two lengths here in a higher benchmark race three weeks ago. Will be running on again. 2. Bells 'N' Bows is up in class but comes off three straight country wins in good style. May measure up in an open race.
How to play it: Continuation WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Continuation runs fourth at Randwick on November 5
|Race 6 – 4.35PM CENTRAL COAST MARINERS HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
2. Liberty Sun hasn’t raced since a dominant all the way win on debut over this course in July. Showed he’s returned in good order with a strong trial win at Newcastle recently, expecting him to lead and take plenty of running down.
Dangers: 3. Siege Warfare has threatened a bit and will be fitter for a sound first-up fourth over 900m at Newcastle. Fair to say he had his chance there but rarely too far away and has each-way claims. 4. Lagarde raced on the speed and faded late first-up at Hawkesbury when a drifter in the betting. Fitter for that and is another who is invariably around the mark. 5. Zeta’s Rocket has found some consistency with a couple of seconds of late and was only grabbed late at Wyong last time over this trip. Must be included in the chances.
How to play it: Liberty Sun WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Liberty Sun wins a trial at Newcastle on November 11
|Race 7 - 5:10PM SKY RACING BILL RUTLEDGE MEMORIAL PLATE (1600 METRES)|
11. Kedah needs everything to go right to win but Gosford might suit her if the runs start early and the pressure goes on. She gets back, quite often comes off the bit, then charges home as she did again at Randwick last time, running the fastest last 200m of 11.36 (Punter's Intelligence). Heart in the mouth stuff but take holding out.
Dangers: 7. King Hewitt was a well supported favourite at Hawkesbury last time and fair to say he had his chance as he ran into third. At peak now if he wasn’t before and with a bit of luck should be in the finish. 1. Cullingworth was a winner at Doomben two starts ago sitting on the speed then not beaten far but no match up in class at Eagle Farm. Better placed here, drawn well and is one of the major players. 4. Spin Bowles backed up an upset win at Hawkesbury two starts back with another over the same course on November 13. Racing very well as his form shows and sure to be competitive once again.
How to play it: Kedah WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS
Kedah runs fourth at Randwick on November 5
|Race 8 - 5:45PM DOVMAC MINING AND CONSTRUCTION HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
12. Shaibanat looks a lot better suited to the 1200m after clearly not running out a mile at Hawkesbury last time. Broke clear in the straight but was stopping when winning at 1350m two starts back so from gate one gets a nice smother and if he gets out he’ll be hard to beat.
Dangers: 3. Tessera ran a big race three starts back and prepared to overlook last time at Canterbury when caught three wide. If he can get a bit of luck in the run then it wouldn’t surprise if he shows up because he’s going better than it looks. 5. Soul Revival was largely unwanted in betting at Hawkesbury last time but charged down the outside to win running away. That’s two good runs on end so he can be trusted to be competitive. 15. Soami has raced well this preparation and had support when a close third at Hawkesbury a couple of weeks ago. Expecting another honest run.
How to play it: Shaibanat E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Shaibanat wins at Wyong on October 20