By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Wyong meeting. Selections based on a soft to heavy track.
|Race 1 – 1:00PM DE BORTOLI WINS PLATE (2100 METRES)|
9. Sassysav is lightly raced and had made an early move at Newcastle last time before boxing on pretty well into third. Shouldn’t have to do as much work from gate one in this field and expecting her to be in the finish though heavy is obviously a query.
Dangers: 1. Oceanic Flash is the logical danger on the back of a second over this course on March 27. He had his chance and looked a bit one paced before surging in the last 50m. Doesn’t need to improve a lot to go close. 6. Bedford Square has four thirds and a fourth from five starts so isn’t far away and comes through the same race where she was run down for second. Should be thereabouts again. 8. Press Estate battled into third on a heavy track at Queanbeyan to record a placing for the first time. That experience may help here but place still best.
How to play it: Sassysav WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Sassysav runs third at Newcastle on March 30
|Race 2 – 1.35PM GO ELECTRICAL HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
1. Bright Eyed Girl looks very hard to beat in a race she should get control. Opened up a big lead at Scone last time and was run down, tighter track in a very winnable race will suit and she’s the one they have to catch.
Dangers: 5. Discompose has been freshened up and trialled quite well since her last run at Tamworth six weeks ago. She put in two sound runs at that track and from a soft draw if she handles the ground can be in the finish. 3. All At Sea is an interesting runner first-up, ex-Freedman brothers, since running last to Harmony Rose at Kembla in October. Latest trial was an improvement and she bears watching. 4. Circus Bound seemed to have his chance at Taree on a heavy track a month ago but was placed in his previous two starts and is worth another chance based on that.
How to play it: Bright Eyed Girl WIN ($1.85 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Bright Eyed Girl runs second at Scone on March 15
|Race 3 – 2:10PM CARLTON DRAUGHT PLATE (1350 METRES)|
8. Akihiro will appreciate coming back in class after taking on Slipper winner Stay Inside first-up then finishing down the track in the Black Opal. Since won a trial, he gets his chance to show what he’s made of and is not surprisingly a short priced favourite.
Dangers: 3. Klopp has been around the mark and broke into the placings for the first time when second at Gosford recently. Handles soft tracks and is an each-way chance. 2. Marsh Lillie and 5. Borsolina would need to improve on what they've shown to date but anything can happen in small fields on heavy tracks.
How to play it: Akihiro WIN ($1.25 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Akihiro wins a trial at Warwick Farm on March 23
|Race 4 – 2:50PM TAB.COM.AU HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Tectonicus has a very good chance to break through here coming back a notch after a solid third to Blue Missile at Kembla a month ago. Mile suits and a rain affected track is to his liking. Field has fallen away and this is a race he's entitled to get away with.
Dangers: 4. Finney is fitter for one run back and does have some heavy track experience including a sound fourth at Gosford over 1600m last spring. If there's a danger he's it. 6. Landstrasse hasn't raced since failing at Canterbury in February, managed a placing at Muswellbrook before that and has a three out of four chance of a placing here.
How to play it: Tectoniucs WIN ($1.07 TAB Fixed Odds).
Tectonicus runs third at Kembla on March 12
|Race 5 – 3:25PM MARKETS 2259 AT WYONG APRIL 11 HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
7. Radiance is well worth a look at each-way odds fresh. Was a short priced favourite on debut and blew the start before going down 1.8 lengths in town on a heavy track then just fair at her other start. Ran on well in her latest trial and she should be strong late.
Dangers: 1. Shadow Colour has been placed in 10 of his 11 starts and eight of them have been seconds so he’s well overdue. Interestingly he was a six length trial winner coming into this so he might take confidence from that and put himself in the finish. 9. Chaleur Bay looked good winning her first trial by a space then just touched Joyous Legend out in her latest. Should be up on the speed here and must be respected. 11. Miss Maz has trialled well on two occasions winning the latest at Rosehill just over a week ago. Must be considered.
How to play it: Radiance E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Radiance runs second in a trial at Warwick Farm on March 23
|Race 6 – 4:05PM JIM BEAM HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
2. Saquon was pestered up in the lead and was left a sitting shot last time at Newcastle about six weeks ago. Freshened since that and a wet track is no issue for him. Will go forward and prove hard to run down this time.
Dangers: 1. Sammy hit the line strongly first-up at Canterbury in a nice return then not a factor at Kensington a couple of weeks back. Can mix form and would prefer a soft range track but his best is good enough to win this. 3. Adamas Prince is fitter for two runs back from a spell and was a huge drifter before finishing a close up fifth at Hawkesbury a month ago. Each-way claims. 9. Hidden Hills showed improvement second-up at big odds when runner-up at Gosford at 1200m. Best form is around the mile so extra trip will suit and if he ran continue to lift he’s capable of being in the finish here.
How to play it: Saquon WIN ($1.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Saquon runs second at Newcastle on February 27
|Race 7 – 4:40PM GREAT NORTHERN HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
8. Call Me Mo could get a race run to suit here with plenty of likely speed. Big effort when fifth in a Provincial Championships Qualifier behind Great News and the extra trip suits. Sure to be strong at the finish and is a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 6. The Crimson Idol hasn’t been placed in five runs at this track but is coming back here in good form with a dominant win at Tamworth a couple of weeks ago. Form prior was solid with a couple of close up fourths and she should run well. 5. Rumpshaker wasn’t competitive in a his latest Provincial Championships qualifier but didn’t run a bad race two starts ago. Handles the wet and gate one helps. Can improve. 1. Buzz improved sharply second-up to get close to Isorich in a similar race a month ago. Likes it wet and is in in the mix.
How to play it: Call Me Mo E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Call Me Mo runs fifth at Gosford on March 13
|Race 8 – 5.15PM WYONG’S NEXT RACE MEETING APRIL 29 HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
5. Miss Kono was strong late when winning at 1000m here a month ago and you’d imagine an extra 100m won’t pose any problems. Lightly raced and on the up, handles the wet and has to be a good chance.
Dangers: 4. Time For Victory has been hit and miss in his short career to date but got the job done from outside the lead at Gosford second-up. If he can hold his form he’s one of the major players. 3. Rafha’s Choice is right back in class after five runs either in town or in open country grade and could easily be an improver on a wet track, so long as it’s not heavy. 8. Dual Escape won well over this course two starts back then even effort behind Time For Victory. Consistent type with good wet track form.
How to play it: Miss Kono WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Miss Kono wins at Wyong on March 9