By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Wyong meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:10PM HMA GROUP HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
5. Dehorned Unicorn wasn’t disgraced on debut at Hawkesbury, finding the line okay late at 1100m. Scratched from Warwick Farm yesterday for this and is a good chance to be in the finish with the favourite coming out.
Dangers: 8. Leave Me Be started an short priced favourite at her first run for Chris Waller and performed fairly in fourth at Gosford four weeks ago. May have run third but for a small tighten early in the straight but still safely held. That was a soft track so could be an improver. 4. Cinque Torri stuck on okay on debut in the same race as Dehorned Unicorn running fifth. Drawn to be on the speed somewhere and is another that could lift. 6. Hyperyield was right in the market on debut at Newcastle and raced on the speed in a 900m scamper before weakening. Worth another look.
How to play it: Dehorned Unicorn WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Dehorned Unicorn's debut at Hawkesbury on April 14
|Race 2 – 1.50PM HMA INSTRUMENTATION PLATE (1350 METRES)|
9. Gerwig has had a few chances, like most of her rivals, but does perform best on a dry track so expecting improvement on an even first-up sixth over this course a few weeks ago. Probably gets back a little but won’t get a better chance to put herself in the finish.
Dangers: 5. Kissmyhanddaddy gets the blinkers on after a couple of ordinary efforts from a spell and if they spark him to hit form he can show up. Did run a couple of nice races back in December in similar events so this isn’t beyond him. 6. Above Reserve has only had three starts, two if you ignore losing the rider at his second, and she can improve after being outsped over 1100m at Gosford on a soft 7. 7. Fattore Stella also has blinkers first time and they might help her hold a spot from the inside alley. Faded late at Canberra last time but if she can produce her best it has her in the mix.
How to play it: Gerwig WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Gerwig runs sixth at Wyong on April 8
|Race 3 – 2:25PM HMA POWER GENERATION PLATE (2100 METRES)|
9. La Sagra has had an unusual preparation so far and while beaten favourite at Newcastle third-up she did jump almost 700m in trip and kept chasing with a big gap to third. Blinkers back on and she has placed over this trip. Go close.
Dangers: 7. Bedford Square is getting close to a win with placings at all four starts this time in and five of six overall. Had her chance in front when run down by Sassysav on a heavy track last time but is the logical danger. 4. Red Hot Zone is also racing consistently with placings at his last two and he worked home hard late at Newcastle over a mile last start. Ready for the step up in trip and is one of the main hopes. 2. Do This All Day is lightly raced and while safely held third-up he did run on nicely enough. Back to a maiden here and drawn well he shouldn’t be overlooked.
How to play it: La Sagra WIN ($2.25 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
La Sagra runs second at Newcastle on April 10
|Race 4 – 3.05PM HMA MATERIALS HANDLING HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Spanish Fighter has been attacking the line well of late and did a good job punching above his weight beaten four lengths in the G3 Carbine Club last time. He’ll be strong late and if there’s a bit of speed on could run over the top of them.
Dangers: 5. Lovetheinvasion had her chance in front when run down by Momack at Muswellbrook a few weeks ago but will be fitter. She’ll be on the pace again and while she looks a little short in the market if she gets a cosy run early around this track will take running down. 2. Squanto caught the eye charging into third when resuming at Newcastle over 1200m. Jumps straight to a mile and yet to place second-up but clearly didn’t come up last prep so his return is promising. 3. Zoomerang found the line okay out wide from well back on resuming at Newcastle and is looking for the extra trip. Whether he wants one more is the concern but he can run into a placing.
How to play it: Spanish Fighter WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Spanish Fighter runs seventh at Randwick on April 10
|Race 5 – 3:40PM HMA FLOW & INDUSTRIAL HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Mix was run down on the line fresh then bolted in at Albury to shed his maiden tag. Hit the front as favourite at Newcastle last time but couldn’t sustain it at 1300m. Back 100m here and drawn well behind what could be a handy tempo. Gets another chance.
Dangers: 8. Zorocat doesn’t need too much to go right to break through after two seconds this time in. Nabbed late by I Say Hello fresh then Betty Blooms ran her down at Newcastle last time. Definite chance. 2. Long Weekend enjoyed a good first preparation but rested again after failing upon returning at Canterbury in February. Has the ability if right and worth keeping safe. 3. Luminoso managed to run down Osamu, who was a short priced favourite, to break his maiden at start 12. Consistent prior to that so worth including in the chances.
How to play it: Mix WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Mix runs fifth at Newcastle on April 15
|Race 6 – 4:15PM HMA WEAR SOLUTIONS HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
15. Canadian Spice ran well at Warwick Farm fresh without much luck then beat Mix at Kembla. Got a long way back after jumping well a month ago and made plenty of ground into fifth in an excellent effort. Good speed would help her cause but also drawn to settle handier. Good chance.
Dangers: 2. Saquon is a promising type who was huge at Newcastle two runs ago then always in control as he romped in over this course three weeks back on heavy ground. This will be a good test for him and he’s hard to beat. 13. Benfica Maid doesn’t win out of turn but is pretty honest and has a handy first-up record. Fitter for two trials and won the latest in good style. No surprise to see her in the finish somewhere. 3. Isorich bobs up now and then and did win a similar race here three starts ago. Ignore latest, he's drawn well and could give cheek.
How to play it: Canadian Spice E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Canadian Spice runs fifth at Newcastle on March 30
|Race 7 – 4:50PM HMA GEOTECHNICAL HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
8. Tango Stepz should have won without much doubt at Newcastle last start and only has to match the effort to go close. Can take advantage of an inside gate and while she doesn’t have the apprentice claim this time she is a big chance to atone.
Dangers: 4. Stoltz is unbeaten in two starts at this track and has built a handy record overall so far. Quiet recent trial and was scratched from Warwick Farm yesterday for this. Everything points to him running well. 3. Rifles doesn’t always hit the target but when he fires he’s very good. Only had the one start last prep but did win fresh the prep before and from gate one he should be in this a long way. 5. Shadow Colour finally broke through at start 12 with an all the way win here three weeks ago on a wet track. Draws wide this time but goes forward and if he finds a good spot can hold on for another placing.
How to play it: Tango Stepz E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Tango Stepz runs third at Newcastle on April 15