By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Sunday’s meeting at Wyong. Selections based on a Soft to Heavy track.
|Race 1 – 1:20PM CARLTON DRAUGHT ON TAP PLATE (1000 METRES)|
2. Canyonero has to go on top but he’s fast running out of chances as he’s been a beaten favourite in three of his five starts. Went way too hard in front at his last run at Newcastle back in July so can be excused a little for that. Quiet trial recently and so long as the track isn’t too wet he has yet another chance to break through.
Dangers: 5. Bonanova’s Dream is a well bred filly on debut and there was plenty to like about how she found the line in her latest trial at Rosehill last month. Dam won a Group 3 on a soft 7 and was Group 1 placed in the wet. Keep safe. 7. Katie Did It is an unknown quantity on any kind of wet ground and she’s only trialled once for a solid second at Randwick a few weeks back. Wouldn’t surprise to see her feature in the finish on debut. 8. Madam Oaks seemed to handle a heavy track well in a trial last month and wasn’t asked for anything in a subsequent trial. If the favourite doesn’t win it’s up for grabs so she’s worth including.
How to play it: Canonyero WIN ($2.25 TAB Fixed Odds).
Canyonero’s first-up run last preparation at Rosehill on May 19
|Race 2 - 1:55PM RAPID CLEAN CENTRAL COAST PLATE (1600 METRES)|
8. Jarhead is very short in the market but you have to forgive his last start defeat as an odds-on favourite where he fired up in the run and ran off the track on the home turn. He still battled on to run third. Barrier one is a plus for him, it should see him settle off the pace and if he hits the line like he did first-up he’ll be winning.
Dangers: 9. Set To Sizzle has been around the mark without winning lately and finished strongly to run into third on a soft track at Armidale. Extra trip looks to suit him and he appears a good chance. 7. Hubble is a big price but he has shown ability and he might be looking for more ground after two runs back. Never in it at Port Macquarie last time but he’s worth throwing into the trifectas here. 6. Whitney’s Star did nothing at Newcastle but her first-up placing at Gosford on a soft 6 had plenty of merit. If she can reproduce that, and the sting out of the ground should help, then she can improve sharply.
How to play it: Jarhead WIN ($1.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Jarhead had excuses for his last start third at Wyong on October 11
|Race 3 – 2:30PM NORTHLAKES TOUKLEY ROTARY CLUB HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
3. Fluidity showed some promise last time in with three placings at Goulburn from as many starts. She brushed home very nicely in a trial a couple of weeks ago and the trip with the sting out of the ground should suit first-up. Expect her to run a nice race fresh.
Dangers: 2. Everlasting Love had every chance in the run but chased hard when runner-up over 1200m here first-up. That was her first wet track attempt and she handled it well, fitter and has to be respected again. 7. Impetuoso started favourite when second-up at Kembla and was no match for the winner but safely held second. No wet track form and drawn awkwardly but can’t be left out. 8. Stealth Sniper did very little at his first two starts in arguably better fields but has looked a different horse in his two recent trials. Will probably have to press forward from the wide gate and could give a sight.
How to play it: Fluidity E/W ($9.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Fluidity finishes off her trial strongly at Warwick Farm on October 8
|Race 4 – 3.05PM CANADIAN CLUB HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
3. Snips has come up favourite and is the logical horse to beat. He looked all over a winner at Gosford on debut but was swamped by Shinju in the last couple of strides. He’ll be up there on the speed again and with that under his belt could easily go one better.
Dangers: 1. Flamin’ Al tried hard up on the pace at his only start at the same meeting and just found one better on the day. There were decent gaps back to the rest of the field too. Must go forward from the outside and is one of the main chances. 10. California Laestar was no match for a classy winner here last start but held on well to run third and only beaten a couple of lengths. At peak now and he’s one of the each-way chances. 7. Diamond Gold showed improvement in his latest trial and is bred to handle a wet track. Drawn well and could do something on debut.
How to play it: Snips WIN ($1.95 TAB Fixed Odds).
Snips is cut down on the line at Gosford on October 4
|Race 5 – 3.45PM SEA FM 101.3 HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Rare Episode beat up on an average bunch on debut at Gosford but he did have plenty on them, leading all the way and putting over four lengths on them fairly easily. Meets a handy field this time around but he’ll bounce on the speed, will handle the wet and shouldn’t have too much trouble measuring up.
Dangers: 2. All Too Free seemed to appreciate settling off the speed and hitting the line when she resumed at Gosford a couple of weeks ago. No worries with a wet track for her and drawn to get a nice run. Hard to beat. 5. Lilith seemed to have her chance but boxed on to hold second as favourite at that Gosford meeting in this grade. Will be in this for a long way and is an each-way chance at least. 7. Traumatised started favourite first-up at Port Macquarie and while he never looked like winning he hit the line okay into third. Fitter, trained here and could be placed again.
How to play it: Rare Episode WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Rare Episode easily wins on debut at Gosford on October 4
|Race 6 - 4:20PM MAGIC MILLIONS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. The Cartoonist won’t know himself back in this company after three starts in higher city benchmark races. Far from disgraced on a heavy 10 at Warwick Farm behind a smart mare and was placed in a good form race at Canterbury over this trip three runs back. Well suited here and clearly the one to beat.
Dangers: 5. Cool And Neat has been thereabouts in four starts this time in and has seemingly had his chance. First try on a wet track but he doesn’t need to improve a lot to be right in the finish. 4. Soir De Lune was on the speed all the way and gripped on to bear Jarhead (racing earlier at this meeting) first-up so will be fitter. Include in the chances. 7. Mr Boomjangles broke through at Hawkesbury on a wet track then outclassed up to a much stronger city event at Randwick a couple of weeks ago. Not without some hope.
How to play it: The Cartoonist WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
The Cartoonist’s last start fifth at Warwick Farm on October 10
|Race 7 - 5:00PM SKY RACING SPRING PROVINCIAL SERIES – HEAT 1 (1350 METRES)|
7. Invictum Domina is very well placed coming back to a Class 5 after successive wins in city midweek grade. Too good for subsequent winner Savacool at Randwick last start and only has to hold that form to win this. She handles the wet, will be on the pace and is the one to get past.
Dangers: 5. Manhattan Mist had excuses first-up at Randwick then drew wide and raced handy but just battled late second-up. Not beaten far though and will find this easier. If he gets any luck from the barrier he’s right in the finish. 3. Salerno is a good wet tracker who improved sharply back onto soft ground when placed over this course last start. Up in class but the ground brings him right into contention for a placing at least. 2. Niccobelle was a bit too speedy when leading all the way first-up at Tamworth over 1000m. Some query straight to 1350m but has a good winning record and is in the mix.
How to play it: Invictum Domina WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Invictum Domina leads all the way to win at Randwick on October 1
|Race 8 - 5:35PM WYONG CHRISTMAS @ THE RACES NOV 29 & DEC 19 HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
4. Manangatang gave a huge sight on a heavy track at Randwick on Everest Day, leading from a wide gate and holding third in a strong Highway over a similar trip. Expect he’ll look to lead again and with a wet track if he does get control he should take plenty of running down around this tighter course.
Dangers: 2. Bobbing is a handy type who produced a huge finish to run over the top here first-up over this course. Whether he’s looking for a little further now remains to be seen. He’ll concede a start but will be charging home again. 1. Thy Kingdom Come was scratched at the barriers on Wednesday at Randwick so arrives here first-up. He’ll likely drift back from the wide gate but any pressure up front would suit him. Last win was over this course so has to be kept safe. 5. Petain ran well first-up for the new stable at Newcastle then proved far too strong when sent up to Coffs Harbour to break his maiden status. Drawn perfectly here and he’ll get every chance to double up.
How to play it: Manangatang E/W ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Manangatang’s last start third at Randwick on October 13