By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Hawkesbury on Sunday.
|Race 1 - 12:00PM EXACT SECURITY MAIDEN HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
2. Chief Geronimo just missed behind an odds on pop at Canberra on debut over 1400m and if he wasn’t held up at the top of the straight momentarily, he probably wins. Doubt anything will be allowed to cross the three-year-old this time out to the mile from a low draw.
Dangers: 9. Rizzuto is very fit and gradually working his way towards a maiden win. 1. Zounate has had his chances but this is as easy a maiden he has ever contested and he’ll put himself on speed.
How to play it: Chief Geronimo WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 2 - 12:35PM ASCEND SALES TROPHIES 3YO MAIDEN PLATE (1000 METRES)|
Bjorn Baker-trained debutant 4. Light And Dark has looked very sharp in his trials and he has had six of them so we’ve got a good look at the Rubick gelding. His pedigree says speed and he looks to have inherited enough of it to get home here in his first outing.
Dangers: $875,000 filly 6. Ajaayeb is back for her second preparation having had just the one run in her first campaign, finishing midfield at Canterbury over 1200m. Doesn’t look the jump and run type but will be finding the line late.
How to play it: Light And Dark WIN ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 3 - 1:15PM ROBERT OATLEY WINES 2YO MAIDEN PLATE (1400 METRES)|
5. Narvaez finished third in a very deep race in town first up with Armatree and Dance since franking the form. The regally bred Vancouver colt (out of Headwater) jumps straight out to 1400m second up. This race has city class depth but he still looks a cut above them.
Dangers: 1. California Cible found the line at Canterbury on debut which suggested 1400m would suit now while his stablemate 9. Angel Helena raced on the same day at California Cible and the fillies clocked significantly quicker time.
How to play it: Narvaez WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 4 - 1:50PM BOTTLER PROV & CTRY MAIDEN HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
In the words of his new trainer Matthew Vella, on the way 1. Blaze A Trail “works and trials you’d think he is a superstar.” He still has to bring that to race day but surely he puts this field to the sword. Has settled beautifully in his two trial wins and as the market suggests, should win.
Dangers: The biggest threat to Blaze A Trial is probably his own manners but don’t want to sell Samantha Miss’s foal 5. Sammy short. Sat outside of a hot speed on debut at Newcastle in a race that rated well.
How to play it: Blaze A Trail WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 5 - 2:25PM PEGASUS ROOFING BENCHMARK 64 HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
11. Super Swish has more upside than all of these but the trade off is that she far from being the finished product. She’s a former Kiwi that now finds herself with Pat Webster and has trialled very nicely in her one hitout. Draws to get every chance.
Dangers: There was nothing between Bjorn Baker’s pair 5. Matowatakpe and 7. Tourmaster when they met at Bathurst last December and they are hard to split again here but both have trialled well and look well placed.
How to play it: Super Swish WIN ($3 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 6 - 3:05PM DAVID DWYER BOOKMAKER CLASS 2 HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
3. Tepario never looked like losing first up at Hawkesbury on a soft track despite her prior form suggesting she was more comfortable on top of the ground. There is more depth here but she strips fitter, gets an extra 100m and a drier track.
Dangers: 1. Kateru is building a strong record and relished the step out to 1400m last start. 6. Extreme Jewel needs a good track to show her best so monitor the rating. Was narrowly beaten by Greek Hero two back. 9. Duchess Of Windsor for multiples.
How to play it: Tepario WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 7 - 3:45PM FISHBOY SEAFOODS BENCHMARK 64 HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
3. Chewie Two is still in his first preparation but he’s obviously thriving in work at the moment. The Uncle Mo gelding is the size of a house so it’s no surprise he is holding his form. Beat Clever Man at Goulburn last start and that horse bolted in at Newcastle yesterday.
Dangers: 7. Collectively was 1400m back to 1200m last start off a four week freshen and like the way he attacked the line, albeit in the right part of the track at Kembla last week. 8. Dame Kiri doesn’t win often but always runs well.
How to play it: Chewie Two WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 8 - 4:25PM G&K ELECTRICAL BENCHMARK 64 HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
7. Live And Loaded was scratched from Randwick yesterday with John O’Shea chasing a firmer track. Won’t be knocking around at the provincials for long though as he looks better than this grade. Just needs the breaks from a wide draw.
Dangers: 8. Arrogante ran third behind She’s So Savvy and Kirwan’s Lane two back before running well at Coffs Harbour despite not looking comfortable on the heavy track. 4. Smart Decision warrants respected back to provincial level.
How to play it: Live And Loaded WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT