By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Saturday’s meeting at Goulburn. Selections based on a heavy track.
|Race 1 – 1:10PM GOULBURN & DISTRICT RACING CLUB APPRECIATION (1000 METRES)|
4. Torun won easily on debut on a heavy track then narrowly beaten at Randwick also on heavy but he doesn’t look the same horse this preparation. Never in it first-up on a good track and his subsequent trial, while a close second, was only fair. Perhaps he's a wet tracker and he has the chance to rebound.
Dangers: 7. Russbuss has improved with each run this time in and broke through with an easy all the way win at Wyong third-up. Placed on a heavy 9 fresh and has a good chance. 5. Bastaki hasn't seen a heavy track as yet and was a big drifter when a fading fifth at Wyong a month ago. 3. Don Luigi is a heavy track winner at his only start though his two runs back have only been fair.
How to play it: Torun WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Torun runs second in a trial at Wyong on March 11
|Race 2 – 1.45PM DARYL COOKE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Torinda was a beaten favourite on a soft 7 first-up at this track but did run on okay then at Kembla back on good again made some ground without threatening. Should be at peak now and has found a winnable race. Good chance.
Dangers: 8. Magical Angel had some support at Newcastle two starts back on a heavy track and boxed on for fourth then every chance at Bathurst on top of the ground. Had a few goes but the heavy track brings her into this. 7. Fattore Stella struck a couple of heavy tracks here prior to a spell and wasn’t disgraced in one of them. Has trialled twice, while she’s probably not a winning chance on what she’s done to date she could fill a placing. 10. Symo's Girl had her chance at Canterbury a month ago though only beaten three lengths after leading. Did place in town at big odds on a soft 6 so could show up.
How to play it: Torinda WIN ($1.95 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Torinda runs fifth at Kembla on March 2
|Race 3 – 2:25PM TAB HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
1. Arctic Thunder defied a big betting drift to win first-up at Gosford, beating a promising filly, then onto a good track in town just battled a bit. Down in grade and back onto a wet track should see her return to her best and be hard to beat.
Dangers: 3. Frazil was runner-up on a heavy track two starts ago then also returned to a good surface and didn’t fire, at Kembla a few weeks back. Prepared to forgive that effort as previous form was consistent. 6. Whelk had the race run to suit on debut when winning at Newcastle on a soft 7 then at Hawkesbury last time on a good track held her ground to run fourth. It was a particularly strong Class 1 so back onto a wet track she’s worth another chance. 7. Thor’s Thunder is fitter for two runs back on good tracks and he does have a better record in the wet. The problem is he doesn’t win out of turn (two from 37) but can’t leave him out in these conditions.
How to play it: Arctic Thunder WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Arctic Thunder wins at Gosford on February 13
|Race 4 – 3:05PM AH! MCCLEANS HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
2. Rules Don’t Apply is resuming but is proven on a wet track so this sort of trip fresh, in the wet, should see her run well. Won twice at a mile last prep, once on a soft 7, and while she will improve with the run this is winnable for her.
Dangers: 1. Happy Candy stuck to the task when resuming at Newcastle a few weeiks back and is a likely improver second-up as his record shows. Heavy track form is good and she can be expected to be competitive. 3. Jeronimos hit the line late into a close second when returning at Hawkesbury on a good track so will be fitter. Only one wet track run and it was in an open two-year-old race at Randwick last winter. If he handles it he’ll go close. 8. Miss Jenny has been thereabouts without winning but three of her four wins have come on wet tracks so she can improve. Struck a strong BM64 at Kembla last start and wasn’t disgraced.
How to play it: Rules Don’t Apply E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Rules Don’t Apply’s latest trial at Rosehill on March 15
|Race 5 – 3:45PM POLYTRACK PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFIER (1400 METRES)|
4. Onemore Sapphire is proven in the wet and looks to have had a nice build up for a big first-up run. Trials have been at 1000m and 1200m and while his record might not read it he did run well fresh last prep. Good each-way hope in a wide open race.
Dangers: 5. My Swashbuckler probably wants a bit further but a testing 1400m would suit him. Had support in finishing midfield first-up in the Newcastle qualifier so has come back well. Placed twice in benchmark races in town on heavy tracks last time in. Keep in mind. 14. Liveinthefastlane was only beaten two lengths first-up at 1200m at Warwick Farm on a good track in a handy return and she’ll improve on that given she’s yet to miss a place second-up. Has a city placing on a heavy track to her name. Has a case. 17. Oakfield Hiawatha wasn't beaten far when midfield in the Hawkesbury Qualifier and was a heavy track winner prior to that. Could give a sight.
How to play it: Onemore Sapphire E/W ($17 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Onemore Sapphire wins a trial at Wyong on March 11
|Race 6 – 4:30PM ILLAWARRA PHOTOBOOTHS PLATE (1400 METRES)|
2. Amulet Street hasn’t found the winning post yet but he’s placed in six of his seven starts with his only miss first-up beaten a length at Warwick Farm. Placed twice on heavy tracks and is sure to be in the finish again.
Dangers: 14. Gymnastics made a very promising debut at Newcastle on a soft 6 before returning there a couple of weeks later and disappointing with an unplaced effort. Inclined to give her another chance despite taking on older horses. 8. Blink Twice made plenty of ground from well back at her first run for the new stable. Unknown in the wet but might be worth keeping safe.
How to play it: Amulet Street WIN ($1.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Amulet Street runs second at Kembla on March 2
|Race 7 – 5:10PM CARLTON DRAUGHT HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
2. Sammy hit the line well when resuming on a soft 6 at Canterbury and drops in grade into this. Yet to race on a heavy track but this field has fallen away so if he handles it he’ll be hard to beat on that first-up run.
Dangers: 5. Delicately has five placings from six starts on wet tracks including a couple on a heavy track. Far from disgraced back onto good at Kembla last time and should run well here. 10. Aeecee Dynasty held her ground first-up at Canterbury last month and drops sharply in grade here. Has a win and a second from two heavy track runs so keep in mind. 13. Alqaab has mixed form and recent starts have been on good tracks, latest a closing third at Wagga. Has a heavy placing so could be competitive here.
How to play it: Sammy WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Sammy runs second at Canterbury on February 26
|Race 8 – 5:45PM CANADIAN CLUB HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
3. Speed And Style wasn’t suited first-up in an open sprint won by Subedar at Kembla and is much better placed in this company. Her last win was on a heavy 8 back in November and she’s generally around the mark so can run well here.
Dangers: 8. Shadow Chaser battled on okay at 1000m off a three month break on a good track. Only win to date was in heavy ground and second-up record reads pretty well. Likely improver. 1. Virgilio was runner-up to Speed And Style on a heavy track last prep and was a recent trial winner leading into this campaign. Can take a run to hit form but is in the mix. 4. Wild Chap is the query runner on a heavy track with no exposure to very wet ground. Consistent last time in and if he's solid in betting then he might run well.
How to play it: Speed And Style E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Speed And Style's first-up run at Kembla on March 12