By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Gosford meeting. Selections based on a heavy track.
|Race 1 – 12:15PM KENTAN MACHINERY PLATE (1600 METRES)|
7. Cicero Field is a bit short for a horse coming off a second at Nowra where she had every chance but there’s not too many places to go here. Debut wasn’t bad in town with no luck. She’ll lead and get some control, should be at her peak and was probably beaten by a smart one last time.
Dangers: 5. Aunt Belle started $51 in a similar race at this track last time and endured a tough run before being nailed in the last stride by the rank outsider. You’re asked to take a lot shorter price here and she needs to back that effort up, but if she does she’s a good chance. 4. Who Loves The Zou was no match for the first two home at Kembla last start out to 2000m but wasn’t far from third. Winkers on and back in trip, could be an improver. 6. Chloebella Rose has shown some improvement of late and ran on into third at Newcastle off a wide alley at her latest. Wouldn’t shock to see her place again but probably needs a sharp lift to win.
How to play it: Cicero Field WIN ($1.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Cicero Field runs second at Nowra on July 3
|Race 2 – 12.50PM WALKER BROS TIMBER & BUILDING SUPPLIES HCP (1600 METRES)|
6. Happy Candy didn’t do a bad job when resuming at Hawkesbury, at 1300m, and has a bit in her favour second-up. Drops to 52kg, up to her preferred trip and did improve with racing early last prep. Drawn well and should be competitive.
Dangers: 2. Underboss made hard work of it but got the job done at $1.35 breaking his maiden status over the Newcastle mile. Still on the up and while a heavy track would be a small query has to be considered. 1. Elder Price is another last start maiden winner, also from the Newcastle mile. He led there and held a clear margin on the line in his best effort in four starts to date. Expect he’ll be forward again and will give a sight. 7. Bacinblac is capable on her day and was placed on a heavy track here three runs ago. Last run okay and could be placed.
How to play it: Happy Candy WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Happy Candy runs fourth at Hawkesbury on July 2
|Race 3 – 1:25PM TOOHEYS PLATE (1200 METRES)|
8. Sharpshooter has some very good form around him from his three starts to date and has found a race with not a heap of depth. Led last time at Kensington and fought on well into a close third, expect he’ll lead again here and be harder to run down.
Dangers: 6. Canton Kid looks the logical danger and a serious one at that. Beaten favourite on debut then had a tough run on the speed and was still trying in his close second at Gosford a couple of weeks ago. Drops an extra 2kg here and drawn ideally to stalk. 3. Express Dragon had a torrid run on debut and was safely held, that was back in February and he was a $51 chance. Recent trial winner against open company at Port Macquarie and the blinkers go on here. One to watch. 4. First Fleet didn’t do a lot at Nowra last time but his previous effort at big odds at Hawkesbury was better, likely can’t win but wouldn’t shock if he runs third or fourth.
How to play it: Sharpshooter WIN ($2.05 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Sharpshooter runs third at Kensington on July 1
|Race 4 – 2:05PM DE BORTOLI WINES PLATE (1200 METRES)|
9. Contessa is worth a look at each-way odds at her debut. She’s had two trials and in the latest was on the speed before taking it very easy late. Wide gate a small concern but looks to have some ability, betting a good pointer.
Dangers: 5. Minifinn started a solid favourite first-up at Muswellbrook, drew wide and didn’t shirk the task despite missing a place. Fitter for that and showed some promise last time in so expect her to run well. 2. Honey Go Lightly was very good on a heavy track at Canterbury two starts back then back onto a good surface at Newcastle she just battled a bit in fourth. If it’s the wet track she needs to produce her best then she gets the chance. 7. Segosha was a bit plain last time at Hawkesbury but the blinkers go on and did enough first-up to warrant another look.
How to play it: Contessa E/W ($9.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Contessa runs fourth in a trial at Warwick Farm on July 6
|Race 5 – 2:45PM BJ HOWES METALAND HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
5. Kelvinside is racing well without winning and while only three wins from 50 starts he’s always some chance in a race like this and this might be the one. Hit the line well as favourite here last time and bumped into a progressive one prior to that.
Dangers: 1. Controlthewitness was placed over this course on a heavy track two runs ago then back in trip to the mile and held on okay. Drifted in betting there and better suited up in trip. Must include. 2. Call Me Mo has been thereabouts in three runs back over shorter trips. Has won at a mile and much better suited here than against the likes of Strawb last start. Not sure about heavy being a plus but has claims. 3. Dambulla is a lot better than that first-up failure at Kembla Grange suggests. Will go forward and expect a more genuine showing.
How to play it: Kelvinside WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Kelvinside runs second at Gosford on June 30
|Race 6 – 3:20PM EVE SECURITY SERVICES HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
6. Winds Of War had a bit of support on debut at Hawkesbury and didn’t do a bad job chasing the winner who ran them along in front. Fitter for that and there might be a bit more pressure on here which suits. Likely improver and a good chance.
Dangers: 2. Gallant Run Is a front-runner who has led and been run down at his last couple at 1100m. Back that 100m which might be crucial and should give a good sight. 4. Circularity started favourite in the same race as Wins Of War at fair to say he had every chance. Blinkers come off and has a couple more gear changes that could assist so perhaps give another shot. 3. Let Me Think ran well on debut at Wyong then up to a city maiden and was no match. Wide draw not ideal but likely to settle back and look to hit the line strongly. Each-way.
How to play it: Winds Of War WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Winds Of War runs third at Hawkesbury on July 2
|Race 7 – 3:55PM TAB.COM.AU HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
1. Ruby Tuesday was too good in a similar race here a month ago on a heavy track then not disgraced in city company second-up. Drawn to get a nice run just off the pace as she did when winning and is a top chance.
Dangers: 3. Carte Blanche raced on the speed all the way and just nailed in the last few strides when resuming over this course. Fitter for that, and down a notch in grade. Looks a threat. 5. Empress Bea is lightly raced and won well at this track at her second start before an even effort in a good quality Class 2. Trialled twice and with a bit of luck from the wide gate could find herself in the finish. 2. Zellymay has only missed a place once in six starts and that was before a spell at 2100m. Naturally she has performed well fresh in the past and is a place chance at least fresh.
How to play it: Ruby Tuesday WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Ruby Tuesday wins at Gosford on June 11
|Race 8 – 4:35PM GOSFORD RSL HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
5. Temple Run disappointed when well in the market at Kensington last time but was game at Warwick Farm before that on a heavy track. Needs a win and will require a bit of luck but well placed to be in the finish.
Dangers: 3. Fantasy Eagle is showing plenty of promise and both wins have come on wet tracks in the country. Up in grade here but drawn to effect and gets some weight relief. Logically a big threat. 2. Niewand has his first start for Bjorn Baker and is a recent trial winner at Warwick Farm. Both wins are country wins but has been competitive at provincial level. Keep an eye on betting and follow accordingly. 4. Chalk is an interesting runner resuming. He is city class when at his best but not raced for a year. Gulburn trial winner last week, can take a run to get going but wouldn’t shock to see him run a cheeky race at this level.
How to play it: Temple Run E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Temple Run finishes second at Warwick Farm on June 17