By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 2:20PM IMPENDING @ DARLEY PLATE (1200 METRES)|
4. Plymouth Rock is an interesting debutant and stablemate to Zarastro, he cost $340,000 and was only warming up at the end of his 900m trial last week. That says there’s plenty in the tank and he should also relish the trip fresh. Respect.
Dangers: 2. Converge is by Frankel from a staying bred mare so is another who should appreciate a bit of ground in time. Hard to judge him on his trials over 800m other than he’s closed off well both times. Definite chance. 8. Jessica Rabbit didn’t do a whole lot on debut at Randwick in October after jumping fairly and getting well back. She’s trialled nicely and has the blinkers on. Sometimes race experience can be an edge and she’s a likely improver if she breaks cleanly. 1. Coastwatch drew wide, went back and was never in the race on debut at Rosehill. Different story here, he's drawn one in a small field and has blinkers on so expect him to be much more competitive.
How to play it: Plymouth Rock WIN ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS
Plymouth Rock runs fifth in a trial at Rosehill on November 30
|Race 2 – 2.55PM VINERY STUD HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Jimmy’s Dream was right in the finish of both starts in the winter on wet tracks and appears to have come back well. Settled back in his latest trial and hit the line hard, and was good through the line. Not sure how he’ll be ridden here from the outside but he should be hard to beat either way.
Dangers: 6. Beachhaven was out the back at his only race start on a wet track at Canterbury in August but there was something about his trial last week that says he can run a cheeky race here. Beaten a few lengths but stretched out well in the 900m heat and is a likely improver. 4. Mount Fuji was a $2.8m purchase and he had excuses on debut back in January. Since had some issues but he’s fitter for three trials, all of which saw him settle back and run on, including a win at Gosford in his latest. Expecting a conservative ride and look for him running on hard. 3. Dance is ex-Snowden and has been gelded since joining Bjorn Baker. Race form last prep was solid without winning and is one to keep an eye on.
How to play it: Jimmy's Dream WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Jimmy's Dream runs fourth in a Randwick trial on November 24
|Race 3 – 3:30PM BOWERMANS COMMERCIAL FURNITURE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. Criminal Code is ready to win after two Sydney runs last month at Canterbury over 1550m. Was a big drifter two starts back but was bloused late then again made ground last time when solid in betting. Very winnable race for him.
Dangers: 4. Donandkim was second-up when fourth at Canterbury, in the same race as Criminal Code finished third, and while he had support he seemed to have his chance. Could get some control here and this is a good chance for him. 1. Invasion Day has found the post in both runs for the new stable and it’s hard to fault his will to win at the moment. There are challenges here with the 61kg but drawn to get a soft run and he could easily complete the hat-trick. 3. Kaapfever has fantastic stats on his home track and was only beaten two lengths when second-up at Rosehill. He would prefer a soft track in an ideal world but he can be competitive.
How to play it: Criminal Code WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS
Criminal Code runs third at Canterbury on November 27
|Race 4 – 4:05PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
5. Strawb faces a moment of truth here. Trialled strongly before her first-up failure at Newcastle where she played up in the gates and was gone on the turn. Again trialled superbly, interestingly the shoes are off behind, so back to the scenario last prep, and she’s good enough to win this if all goes well.
Dangers: 3. Ulysses raced right up to the support he had here first-up two weeks ago to charge into third at 1100m, which looked a bit short of his best. The extra 200m is a big plus and he’ll land closer from an inside gate. Dangerous. 7. Turnstyle has been racing well without winning in Saturday fillies and mares grade and should roll over from the outside gate and either lead or be up there. Sure to be competitive. 9. Saas Fee ran an eye-catching race here first-up then up in class she hasn’t been disgraced at her past two finishing midfield. Back a notch again, drawn the inside with a claim she can only run well.
How to play it: Strawb WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Strawb wins a trial at Newcastle on December 3
|Race 5 – 4:40PM RANVET HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
5. Crown Affair doesn’t win out of turn but in a head scratching race is a good each-way chance if things pan out for him. He ground away for fourth in a similar race two weeks ago, there looks to be some speed here and it will be a chance for him to finish off.
Dangers: 3. Skymax didn’t do a whole lot at his Australian debut at Kembla but the last 100m wasn’t bad and he’s now in the blinkers, which he raced in overseas. If he settles closer from a better gate he should be a lot more competitive especially out to the 2400m. 8. Sepulchre raced handy and battled on to hold third in the same race as Crown Affair and on that score has to be included in the chances. Only failure of late was on a heavy track. 6. Gunaluva was the last man standing in what looked a brutal 2600m event at Gosford where the margin from first to last was lengthy. Stayer on the way up and if he’s going to measure up in town this is a good test.
How to play it: Crown Affair E/W ($10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Crown Affair runs fourth at Warwick Farm on November 25
|Race 6 – 5:15PM TAB HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
4. Zing will be best served at a mile or so this prep but she’s trialling very nicely and this race looks prime for something running on. Strode out well in her latest trial against the likes of Athiri, Poetic Charmer etc and at 1300m can land midfield and be hitting the line hard.
Dangers: 9. Macleay is lightly raced winning on debut then running a close second at 1400m here back in May. Drawn wide so probably gets back but liked his latest trial where he worked home from near last under a grip. Keep safe. 6. Bowery Breeze is a get back and run on mare who has done just that in both starts over shorter this time in. Last prep she chased home Threeood at 1400m so the step up in trip is a plus and she’ll be flooding home as usual. 15. Onchao is coming off an easy maiden win at Gosford where he started $1.45. Fair on debut on a heavy track and could measure up but may be under the odds.
How to play it: Zing E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Zing runs fifth in a trial at Rosehill on November 30
|Race 7 – 5:50PM DRINKWISE MILE (1600 METRES)|
7. Havin’ Fun might have been a bit stiff not to go close here second-up at 1400m as she poked through late to run a close third behind Invasion Day. Ran well at her only start at a mile but more seasoned now and hard fit. Go well.
Dangers: 1. My Demetra is a query at a strong mile but she’s the percentage play as she’ll be on the pace somewhere and is racing well at this level. Found Instant Attraction too strong late at 1500m last time and will run an honest race again. 10. Fill Of Fun runs here in preference to Wyong tomorrow and showed plenty of improvement second-up when charging late to just miss. Drawn well and if she's going to measure up at this level this is a good chance. 4. Majella rebounded from a couple of poor efforts in midweek company to score at Wyong over a mile a few weeks back. With the confidence back up she could go on with it in an open race.
How to play it: Havin' Fun E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Havin' Fun runs third at Warwick Farm on November 25