By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a good to soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM EVEREST CARNIVAL PLATE (1300 METRES)|
8. Way Back When is a very well bred colt on debut on the back of two trials, the latest of which was a pleasing effort just in behind the placings. Drawn to be ridden negatively, that’s the concern, but can’t see him doing anything else but being strong late. Each-way.
Dangers: 9. Avon River won’t find an easier assignment in town to break through but have to say she’s been a bit disappointing in her two runs at Caulfield this time in. She had a wide run last time but with cover and when she loomed there wasn’t much left. No excuses from gate two back to a maiden but too short in the betting. 4. Miyake had a gap between trials before running a close third to Dawn Passage over 900m. Barrier one here so he’ll have all the favours and is worth keeping safe. 6. Promotions has been gelded since his first preparation when he ran a fair placing on debut then lost the rider at the start in his other appearance. Two trials have been inconclusive, not bad, so take him a bit on trust but throwing him in for fourth.
How to play it: Way Back When E/W ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Way Back When runs fifth in a trial at Rosehill on July 19
|Race 2 - 1:25PM HARRY ANGEL @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
6. Rancho Notorious did a lot of threatening last preparation against some smart types but a one dimensional style worked against him. He’s back as a gelding and held his ground well in his latest trial. He has these covered on talent but racing pattern is the gamble.
Dangers: 5. Making Whoopee had good support at her only start back in March and she just found one better. Liked her recent trial, she was strong on the line. She’s the other horse with the upside in this race and is a threat. 3. Sethlans has had two trials in July and both on the synthetic so that’s the big query. Drawn well, Hugh Bowman to ride so if there’s any support he could be the one of the Godolphin trio. 2. Parveen was beaten in the last stride at Wyong last time to make it five placings from as many starts. Blinkers go on here so she has one more chance.
How to play it: Rancho Notorious WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Rancho Notorious runs fourth in a Rosehill trial on July 19
|Race 3 – 2.00PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (2200 METRES)|
5. Anarchy showed rapid improvement to run fourth in a similar race to this a couple of weeks ago though unfancied in the market. She ran the fastest last 600m of 34.98 and last 200m in 11.74 (Punter's Intelligence) to say she'll be at her top now. Drawn a bit better and has a strong rider on board. If she backs up that last effort she’s hard to beat.
Dangers: 1. Keep Up also staged a form reversal at big odds in the same race to run second and given similar conditions here he can be expected to hold that form now. If he does then he’s in the finish. 8. Waka is the new blood on the scene coming off an easy win in a small field at Newcastle third-up. She ran well in a stakes race last spring and with the different form line is well worth respecting. 3. Snippetspeed was a drifter in betting here two weeks ago and got a long way back before just battling home. If he sits closer as he did when winning at Gosford he could be a threat.
How to play it: Anarchy E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Anarchy runs fourth at Warwick Farm on July 17
|Race 4 – 2.35PM FAREWELL DAVID MILLS HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
3. Helga ran right up to the strong support in winning first-up three weeks ago, the form has held up and can only be fitter. The sting out of the track is a plus for her and while she’s drawn out she’ll be handy and there’s only one turn to get around. Take running down. Read jockey Chris Williams' comments here.
Dangers: 6. Song And A Prayer is racing so well at the moment with two wins from her last four starts and she wasn’t far off The Party Girl three back on the Kensington track. Must be included in the chances. 10. Riviera has been thereabouts in her two runs back from a spell. Thought she had her chance last week but goes to 1400m at her peak so if she’s going to win at this level she has every hope. 7. Almerheri resumed with a fair effort to place at Kembla but will be fitter and the extra trip is a plus. Impressive winner at 1400m, last prep so likely improver here.
How to play it: Helga WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Helga wins at Warwick Farm on July 10
|Race 5 – 3.10PM STAR TURN @ VINERY HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
3. Nicochet is on his last chance back in class and onto a firmer surface than his last couple. His two seconds to Kapajack in June would have him a short priced favourite here but he’s just battled a little, though not disgraced, on heavy ground lately. D-Day.
Dangers: 1. Oneness led them but was no match for Think Free here two weeks ago in a similar race. He’ll likely lead again if he gets an easy enough time will be hard to run down. 6. Lancaster Bomber has settled back and run on strongly into the placings at his past two at Gosford but from a better gate he has the chance to be that little bit closer. While in form he’s a chance to measure up to this level. 7. He’s A Given relished the heavy two starts back then even effort on soft here two weeks ago. Can’t be left out on his home track where he has a solid record but might not be wet enough for him.
How to play it: Nicochet E/W ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Nicochet’s last start at Rosehill on July 13
|Race 6 – 3.45PM TAB HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
7. Travancore is racing in great form but he is one-dimensional. Shade unlucky at Rosehill two back then hit the line well again at Randwick. Back in class here and with the race falling away a bit has his chance to win this.
Dangers: 1. Commander was too good on the speed at Randwick last month then probably should have won the Grafton Guineas with 61kg. She should be competitive back on the pace here. 3. Watchdog ticked the 1600m box with a game win here two weeks ago and is likely get be afforded a similarly soft run. He’ll run a nice race again, perhaps there might be one or two more progressive than him in here. 11. Seel The Deel is a little hard to line up coming off a maiden and Class 1 win but they were impressive from tricky positions. Won't get a better chance to measure up in town.
How to play it: Travancore WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Travancore runs third at Randwick on July 20
|Race 7 - 4:20PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
4. Handspun looks to have the right set up pace wise to give her the chance to storm over the top. Two runs in Saturday company were sound then they didn’t quite go fast enough for her here when placed at 1400m. Blinkers on, back to 1200m and she’ll be charging home.
Dangers: 5. Wander is probably the percentage horse here as he’ll sit just off the speed on the inside and have all the favours. Bumped into a smart one first-up but still ran well and can only be fitter. Good each-way chance. Read trainer Richard Litt's comments on his runners here. 10. Bubbles Ball is an up and comer who is racing well out of town and beat a subsequent winner when scoring at Newcastle earlier this month. Biggest test but yet to finish worse than second. Definite chance. 9. Syd’s Footprints didn’t appreciate the heavy track at Randwick in a Highway last time so overlook that effort. He’s a handy on pacer who should finish much closer this time.
How to play it: Handspun WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Handspun runs third at Warwick Farm on July 17