By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a heavy track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM XTRAVAGANT AT NEWHAVEN PARK SPRINT (1100 METRES)|
2. Quatum should be hard to beat on debut based on his latest couple of trial efforts in a winnable race. Took a smart one to get past him late in his last Rosehill trial on a heavy track. Expect a strong showing.
Dangers: 1. Oslo is ex-Snowden and now with Bjorn Baker. Yet to see a wet track on race day but his past two trials have been on heavy and soft and have posed no issues. In well with the claim and if there’s support it would be a good pointer. 5. Balletopia didn't finish too far from Colette in a maiden before a spell and is fitter for two trials. Asked for a bit in the latest but in the small field it's worth being wary. 8. Rathvilly Miss might find the 1100m a touch sharp but the heavy ground probably extends that a bit and she's carrying just 51kg.
How to play it: Quatum WIN ($2.25 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Quatum runs second in a Rosehill trial on July 17
|Race 2 – 1.25PM ALL TO HARD @ VINERY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
7. Irish Angel was a month between runs going into her close up fourth over 1300m last time and she was only reeled in late. Easy heavy track winner at Canterbury prior. Racing well this time in, races handy and should be competitive.
Dangers: 1. Matowatakpe was probably unsuited dropping to 1100m last time on a leader’s track so forgive that effort. Before that he was in top form with an easy win at 1300m and expect him to run a much better race here. 5. Celandine had a relatively easy time of in in front and duly saluted when resuming three weeks ago on a soft track. Likely more pressure here but that was her first time leading so probably no disadvantage. Include in the chances. 4. Aeecee Beau is the probable leader and he managed to get the job done second-up at Hawkesbury on a heavy track. Two-year-old form was very good without winning so does have the ability.
How to play it: Irish Angel E/W ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Irish Angel runs fourth at Warwick Farm on July 8
|Race 3 – 2:00PM BOWERMANS COMMERCIAL FURNITURE HANDICAP (2200 METRES)|
8. Joe’s Joy is generally a good wet tracker and has been around the mark at her last couple. Was a month between runs into last start and now on the back up. Won on a heavy four back at Kembla and in a race that’s up for grabs she drops to 51kg and represents a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 7. She’s A Treasure is well overdue for a win and was four weeks between runs when beaten favourite at Narrandera last time. Placed on a heavy in three of her past four starts and will run her usual honest race. 6. Triskana is an up and coming stayer who has defied lesser opposition at her past two starts on mid-range soft tracks. Expect she’ll likely lead here and give some cheek and if she handles the ground could take catching. 3. Eugenio boxed away okay into fifth at Randwick in testing ground and this is a step back in class. No surprise to see him in the finish.
How to play it: Joe’s Joy E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Joe’s Joy runs fourth at Kembla on July 23
|Race 4 – 2:35PM JOHN DASILVA HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Travancore hasn’t won for a while but only needs a few things to go right to break through on his recent form. Came from last down the outside a week ago at Canterbury, handles the heavy well and has a good chance with the 2kg weight drop.
Dangers: 4. Showminder tends to make hard work of it with a flat spot in his races but continues to perform well this time in. Finished just astern of Travancore when they met at Warwick Farm three weeks ago and is in the mix again. 9. Brutality gets the blinkers on after a handy enough effort at Wyong last week where he ran on from well back without threatening. Heavy track winner three back and drops 7.5kg. Must be considered. 8. Galahad’s Quest is racing very well without winning. On the speed and boxed away at Canterbury last week, same race as Travancore, and was runner-up on a heavy track three straight before that. Each-way.
How to play it: Travancore E/W ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Travancore runs second at Canterbury on July 22
|Race 5 – 3:10PM GRUNT STANDING @ YULONG HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
5. Royal Banquet looks a promising horse and has been very strong in wins at Scone (soft 7) and Newcastle (good 4) at his two runs back. Handles the wet well and is versatile from a map perspective. The scratching of Syncline means he can continue on his winning way.
Dangers: 11. Deepfield’s Raine is fitter for two runs back and made some ground into third behind Syncline at Hawkesbury. Meets that horse 2.5kg better and that gives him an each-way chance. 1. Bergen might well not be a wet tracker based on his last start where he dropped right out but his first two runs back in stronger company weren’t all that bad. While he meets a couple of nice horses he could improve back in class here. 8. Herzegovina has been racing consistently without winning. Will be up on the speed somewhere and 1400m probably suits him best.
How to play it: Royal Banquet WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Royal Banquet wins at Newcastle on July 4
|Race 6 – 3:45PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Threeood is having her tenth runs this time in and it really depends on which horse turns up as to her chances. She won on a heavy track four back at Warwick Farm and placed at Randwick two back. The runs either side of last start she didn’t show a lot of interest and put herself in the races. Drawn out so if she goes forward, based on her past couple of good efforts, she can take beating.
Dangers: 8. Lunar Tramp can’t be overlooked as she comes off a narrow win in the same race as Liara finished third. Meets her 1.5kg worse here but racing very well and is one of the chances. 9. Bowery Breeze usually runs on into the finish somewhere and her fourth at Kensington last time wasn’t bad, despite beaten seven lengths, as it was that front runner’s paradise. Each-way hopes and could blouse them if the race pans out in her favour. 3. So Wicked had good NZ heavy track credentials and her two runs in Sydney have been okay. Expect if she's going to measure up to this level this is a good chance.
How to play it: Threeood WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Threeood runs second at Randwick on July 4
|Race 7 – 4:20PM 2020 YULONG STALLIONS HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
4. Accelerato has run well in three starts since a heavy track win at Warwick Farm in June including a couple in Saturday company. Tried hard last week at Canterbury and gets the blinkers back on here. Watch for support as a pointer but he’ll be thereabouts again.
Dangers: 2. Epic Dan is a superior heavy tracker and he is back in grade on a handy third at Kensington a couple of Saturdays ago. Hasn’t carried 58kg in this grade for some time and he should not be underestimated. 11. Front Money had every chance to run Escaped down when they both resumed at Hawkesbury. Fitter but probably a bit more depth so it'll be interesting to see how she measures up considering the short price. 1. The Fire Trap is an interesting runner, resuming with 62kg. Nothing wrong with his trials and he is a heavy track winner at the Sunshine Coast. Keep an eye on him.
How to play it: Accelerato E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Accelerato runs fourth at Canterbury on July 22