By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM ALL TOO HARD @ VINERY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
14. Pyrmont is worth specking each-way at the big odds. His first-up effort was sound beaten two lengths in what looks a solid maiden two weeks ago. He didn’t settle at all there and raced wide for the most part so he did a good job. Could surprise.
Dangers: 11. Still Reigning is a half sister to Golden Slipper winner She Will Reign and full sister to Silver Slipper winner Time To Reign on debut and she’s clearly been a work in progress looking at her trials. Did it professionally in her latest almost two weeks ago. Should give a good sight. Read trainer Gary Portelli's comments here. 4. Forbidden Love has the score on the board with a nice debut win at this track then she was far from disgraced behind Away Game on a heavy track. Drawn well for the first time and should be in this for a long way. 10. Little White Lies improved into her second trial where she finished off well to win on a soft last week. Expect she’ll be off the speed here and looking to hit the line. One to keep an eye on.
How to play it: Pyrmont E/W ($26 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Pyrmont runs fourth at Kensington on April 15
|Race 2 – 1.25PM DRINKWISE PLATE (1100 METRES)|
7. More Prophets trialled very well before going under as an odds-on favourite on debut at Wyong but she did finish full of running. Better for it and there should be more speed here which would suit. Well worth another chance.
Dangers: 6. Dis Dah Wun gave a handy sight at her first outing at Gosford and has been back to the trials since then where she did it easily. Looks a filly with upside and she’s a contender. 1. Frosty Rocks is back as a gelding after disappointing when a beaten favourite back in November at Wyong. Good recent trial and while drawn wide he’ll likely press forward and if he gets a soft run can be hard to run down. 3. Glock comes through the same race as More Prophets where he ran second after chasing the winner all the way and getting close. Has to be included in the chances on that score.
How to play it: More Prophets E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
More Prophets runs third at Wyong on April 16
|Race 3 – 2:00PM RANVET SALKAVITE PLATE (1200 METRES)|
4. Bubbles Ball has found it a little hard to win of late but she finds a good set up for her with the blinkers on. Races best when able to stalk and she hasn’t been able to do that of late. With a couple of noted on pacers she gets her best chance this prep.
Dangers: 3. Maggie Miss did a good job to sit wide first-up on a heavy track and still be there fighting at the finish. Best efforts have been when she’s led and she has the draw to find the front. Whether she wants 1400m is the question but dry track suits. Go well. 7. Threeood backed up a narrow fresh win at Gosford with an easy Class 1 success at Nowra and while this is tougher she’s also flying at the moment and can sit off the pace. Don’t know what her limit is yet so wouldn’t shock to see her right in the finish again. 1. Jay Jay D'Ar doesn't win often but her place record is very good so is worth including. Every chance at the Gold Coast last time and drawn wide here so she has work to do.
How to play it: Bubbles Ball WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Bubbles Ball runs fourth at Kensington on April 15
|Race 4 – 2:35PM TOO DARN HOT @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
8. Bound To Win showed plenty of talent last time in and is good odds here for her return. Put two big provincial wins together before beaten at Canterbury on a leader’s track and she was held up for runs. Has trialled nicely and well drawn. Has to be competitive.
Dangers: 11. Lillemor was far from disgraced before a spell in what was a strong BM70 won by Heart Of The Oak back in January after winning her first two. Dominant trial winner last week and can’t be overlooked here. 10. Special Snap had her chance first-up behind Disruptor but the effort was still good on a heavy track. She can be hit and miss but did split Mirra Vision and Grand Piano five starts back so her best is good enough to be competitive. 2. Petronius started favourite in a very strong BM78 before a spell and chased home Embracer fresh last time in. Trial was solid and no doubt he has the ability to win if ready.
How to play it: Bound To Win E/W ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Bound To Win runs fourth in a Randwick trial on April 21
|Race 5 – 3:10PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
3. Harpo Marx put the writing on the wall last week when he stormed home from last along the inside to run third at his second run in Australia, running easily the fastest last 200m of 11.81 (Punter's Intelligence). The 2400m suits so much more, just needs to be able to make some use of barrier one and he should go close.
Dangers: 5. He Runs Away could be a good longshot here, he comes through the same race as Harpo Marx and was knocked over on the home turn so he didn’t do a bad job to be beaten six lengths. Has won up to 2500m and pay to keep safe. 8. Wild Impact steps to the 2400m for the first time after a very easy win at 2000m at Kembla. Took off before the turn there and raced away. Has plenty of upside and could go on with it. 9. Sciconic atoned for a disappointing loss at Wyong with a runaway win over 2200m at Nowra. Another coming through the grades and could easily measure up while in top form.
How to play it: Harpo Marx WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Harpo Marx runs third at Canterbury on April 22
|Race 6 – 3:45PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
6. Song And A Prayer appeals each-way at her second run back. Held her ground when resuming in a handy field at Kensington and always improves with a run under her belt. Last win was over this course in August and with natural improvement can run a nice race.
Dangers: 12. Significance is easy to like on the back of a seven length maiden win at Wyong last start but you have to question what was behind him. He was his own worst enemy in two previous starts and was safely held. If last start proved the penny has dropped he could repeat, he has to go in all exotics but he looks unders. 9. Havin’ Fun has the best form coming into this race but has a tricky map. Raced wide and still kept coming behind Indy Car and Icebath at Randwick last time and this a decent step down. If she gets the breaks she could easily be in the finish. 5. Herzegovina probably found the mile on a heavy track a bit tough on Easter Monday but back on top of the ground he's worth another look.
How to play it: Song And A Prayer E/W ($10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Song And A Prayer runs fifth at Kensington on April 15
|Race 7 – 4:20PM TAB HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
10. Zakat went under as favourite here third-up off two excellent provincial wins but he has a strong case to turn the tables. Had to do too much chasing last time, he ran the fastest last 600m of 35.54 (Punter's Intelligence) which was more than a length faster than his rivals, but back onto a good track, drawn well in a race with some pace he will be hard to hold out late.
Dangers: 8. Bold And Wild improved with racing in his first preparation which ended with successive provincial wins. Liked his second trial at Warwick Farm, drawn ideally for him and if he’s fancied he should go close. 4. Aussie enjoyed a nice passage and proved too strong at the finish at his first run for the Baker yard at Gosford. Kept fresh and has always shown some promise. Definite chance. 11. Galahad’s Quest has been thereabouts this time in and he stayed on well after racing on the speed when placed in a similar grade at 1400m two weeks ago. Drawn the inside so can be in this for a long way.
How to play it: Zakat WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Zakat runs second at Warwick Farm on April 13