By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Warwick Farm. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM WINTER RACING HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. Fiery Red took on top company in his first three starts and comes back to a maiden first-up with three trials under his belt, suggesting he’s wound up for this and his latest trial was a sit and steer job as he raced away over the 1050m. Chance for him to show what he’s made of.
Dangers: 6. Smart Consort wasn’t asked for anything serious in his only trial ahead of his debut. Did beat Cosmic Force in a trial back in October but that seems a long time ago. Watch betting for a push either way. 7. Tungsten Bay trialled a couple of times in the late autumn then resurfaced with a solid fourth at Rosehill on August 9 where he could have finished a lot closer if desired. No surprise if he runs well on debut. 5. Quantico comes out of the same trial as Smart Consort and was asked to do a lot more in finishing second. Still, has barrier one and J-Mac so can't rule out.
How to play it: Fiery Red WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Fiery Red wins a trial at Randwick on August 12
|Race 2 - 2:00PM CASINO PRINCE @ VINERY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
7. Just Thinkin’ will really excel over a mile and further but has looked sharp enough in his trials and an exhibition gallop so say he can go close here first-up. His first prep was only fair but he’s been gelded and it’d be surprise if he’s not very competitive or at least catches the eye.
Dangers: 12. Palurien ran a very nice race at her only start behind Maddi Rocks at Canterbury in May and she comes off an easy enough trial win. Shows promise and is a serious contender. 1. Hulk looked to have every possible chance when he was nailed by an unfancied stablemate first-up two weeks ago. Fitter and again drawn to be in the finish. Right in it but testing the friendship a bit. 13. Parche trialled against the promising Darling Point a couple of weeks back and held her own. Could get into a placing.
How to play it: Just Thinkin’ E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Just Thinkin’ runs second in a trial at Gosford on August 5
|Race 3 – 2.35PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
7. Erno is a promising three-year-old who resumes in a very winnable race. Won his first two starts nicely then huge run in defeat at Hawkesbury in a good quality race in April. Fitter for two trials, drawn ideally and will be the one to get past. Read trainer Kim Waugh's comments on Erno and her other runners here.
Dangers: 8. Full Recognition looks the only serious threat. He’s a similarly lightly raced horse, though a year older than Erno, who bumped into some smart ones before breaking his maiden. Beaten favourite before a spell and has trialled well on two occasions. Good chance. 4. Kaecilius could run a cheeky race fresh from the inside gate with Hugh Bowman up. Improved into his second trial and will improve on whatever he does here but a place is well within reach. 1. Dio D’Oro might need some rain to come to be a serious winning chance but he did find the line better than anything when placed to Sir Elton in July.
How to play it: Erno WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Erno wins a trial at Newcastle on August 19
|Race 4 – 3.10PM TAB HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
Looks to be reasonable speed here and that would suit 10. Dunbrody Power who has caught the eye in two second placings since a first-up win and probably should have gone close here two weeks ago. He ran 11.24 for his last 200m (Punter's Intelligence) and did encounter traffic. Drawn wide but gets back and 1200m suits. A good each-way chance.
Dangers: 9. Sausedge is a big market watch first-up without a public trial. She’s won three from five and was placed to Noble Boy at her only run here. Barrier one a plus, should get plenty of cover and could take holding out late. 1. Lisdoonvarna has a handy first-up record and her two trials leading into this have suggested she’s come back well. Not badly off with the 3kg claim and is the best performed horse in the race. Keep safe. 4. Transmitter is racing consistently without winning. Comes through the same race as Dunbrody Power where they dead heated for second. Sure to be around the mark in a similar race.
How to play it: Dunbrody Power E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Dunbrody Power runs second at Warwick Farm on August 14
|Race 5 – 3.45PM EVEREST CARNIVAL HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
12. Lanigera comes off a maiden win at the end of June but is all upside. Didn’t love the heavy first-up last prep but still ran well and he trialled nicely enough here a few weeks back. Group placed at two and with even luck in running looks the horse to beat.
Dangers: 3. Irish Songs settled last and attacked the line strongly behind a smart one in Pandemic last time. If he runs up to that performance here he’ll take some holding out, but he will get back. 7. Up Trumpz hasn’t trialled publicly but usually performs first-up and was consistent at this level last time in with a string of city placings. Nicely drawn and if he gets last look he could spring an ambush. 6. Logan River might have been beaten nine lengths in running second at Wagga but it was a decent effort. Was slow out by four or five lengths then as the winner kicked away he was badly held up until well into the straight. So the margin is misleading. Honest type who can give some cheek at odds.
How to play it: Lanigera WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lanigera runs fourth in a Warwick Farm trial on August 9
|Race 6 – 4.20PM LONHRO & SONS @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Knowitall Jack is clearly on top and he may well get an easier run up on the speed this time than when run down in the shadows two weeks back. Drops 1kg, drawn nicely and at peak with three solid runs back. Sure to be fighting it out.
Dangers: 5. King Hewitt caught the eye getting through along the fence and closing into second behind Lifetime Quest here two weeks ago. Fitter for that and the mile only suits him more. Must be respected. 13. Perfect Pitch has drawn to get a soft run in the first half of the field and wasn’t disgraced beaten two lengths in the same race last time. Charged to just miss prior to that so is an each-way hope at least. 6. Obelos was well in the market first-up in that race too and battled on fairly. He did improve sharply second-up last time in so prepared to give him another chance.
How to play it: Knowitall Jack WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Knowitall Jack runs third at Warwick Farm on August 14
|Race 7 - 4:55PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
2. Lifetime Quest is the horse to beat once more having beaten a similar bunch over this course two weeks ago. Goes up 3kg but should get a decent time of it up on the speed. He’s yet to put in a bad one and that shouldn’t change here.
Dangers: 1. Cuba had his chance to beat Lifetime Quest last time but did stay on well enough into third to consider him a good chance again, given he’s drawn to sit just off once more. Has a weight turnaround in his favour too. 10. Showminder burst through along the inside late to finish a close third here first-up and the extra trip should be in his favour. Yet to miss a top three finish second-up and drawn to not get so far back. Keep in mind. 8. Holy Reign is a lot better than his last start flop at Rosehill would suggest. Drawn to take cover here and was racing well prior so worth another chance.
How to play it: Lifetime Quest WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Lifetime Quest wins at Warwick Farm on August 14