By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 1:35PM SKY RACING ACTIVE PLATE (1100 METRES)|
2. Damaged showed a lot of promise with a debut second at Randwick on Boxing Day and while he did have his chance there he was beaten by a handy one. Trialled quite well a couple of weeks ago and has in-form jockey on board. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 6. Never Never River trialled back in the spring but seems to have come back better with his two easy wins at Rosehill in the past month. Expect him to lead or be right there and could take some catching. 3. Formentera hasn’t raced since January where he ran a fair fourth at Kensington behind Philizzy. Improved into his second trial running Hanseatic to a head or so, likely goes forward from the outside gate and worth including. 1. Codebreaker has taken a few trials to get to the races and there was a bit to like about his latest trial behind Encountabull without blinkers. Blinkers go on here, must be respected.
How to play it: Damaged WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Damaged wins a trial at Warwick Farm on March 10
|Race 2 – 2.10PM BISLEY WORKWEAR PLATE (1100 METRES)|
9. Raison D’Etre is set to run a big race on debut looking at her two trials. The latest was a solid fifth behind Hanseatic where she worked home well under no real pressure from the back. Drawn well and any pre-race support would be encouraging.
Dangers: 3. Drizzle has had her trials spaced but the latest of them showed she has some talent as she hit the lead then was restrained to run third at Rosehill. Market a good pointer with her also but happy to keep her safe. 8. Miss Canada has the form on the board with two placings from as many starts though she did appear to have her chance first-up three weeks ago at Kensington. Fitter here and can’t be underestimated. 5. Heroess is out of a two time Group 1 winning mare and she has shown some talent winning both her trials split by four months. Tactics will be interesting from the wide alley but it’s not a bad starting point at the Farm.
How to play it: Raison D’Etre WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Raison D’Etre runs fifth in a trial at Randwick on March 12
|Race 3 – 2:45PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS PLATE (1300 METRES)|
3. Battleground will likely be the shortest priced favourite of the day and rightly so. Should have won on debut then narrowly beaten in the Gosford Guineas back in December. He was niggled at a bit in his trial but appears to have every chance to break through.
Dangers: 9. Twice As Special is ready to win a maiden somewhere based on her three runs back from a spell. Ran on well behind Badia here two weeks ago and only has to hold her form to be in the finish. 2. Activation will appreciate the extra 100m after hitting the line strongly on debut from near last when placed at Kembla earlier this month. Probably ridden negatively from the outside gate here so will need some favours but worth keeping an eye on. 5. Flinders didn’t run badly in five starts in 2019 and looked a little sharper winning his trial over 791m last week. No surprise to see him run well fresh.
How to play it: Battleground WIN ($1.55 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Battleground’s trial at Randwick on March 12
|Race 4 – 3:20PM TAB HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
6. Parry Sound is developing into a handy stayer and this race looks to suit with a few designated on pacers sure to put some speed on. Granted this is up in class on his strong Gosford win last time but he’s lightly raced and expected to run well.
Dangers: 3. Corncrake posted his first Australian win over this course at Kembla and this isn’t any tougher. Just wants the track to stay on the soft side to be most effective and if that’s the case he’s a big chance. 4. Castel Sant’angelo was third-up and up 600m when run down by Corncrake at Kembla. Better set up for him here and is 1.5kg better off. Must be considered. 2. Monsieur Sisu is back a notch or two in class on his past few in Saturday company. Unplaced in both 2400m attempts though didn’t finish one so probably had excuses there. Wetter the better for him and stays under some notice. 7. Sacramento probably has to be included too with a couple of strong front running wins in lesser company.
How to play it: Parry Sound WIN ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Parry Sound wins at Gosford on March 14
|Race 5 – 3:55PM CASINO PRINCE @ VINERY HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
10. Rockarosa found the line with plenty of purpose first-up at Kensington and is going to be better suited up in trip. Drawn a little kinder too so no surprise to see her a little closer in the running and if she’s in touch on the turn should be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 2. Chat won well here four starts back and comes off a close second in the Canberra Guineas after leading. Might well lead again here from the inside alley, or should at least be on the speed, and will be competitive again. 6. Good Stock took control early and was far too good leading all the way over this course to break his maiden status two weeks ago. Has to take the step up in grade but no reason he can’t give a sight. Only three starts under the belt, so we don’t know how good he is yet. 1. Donandkim came through the grades in the country last prep then measured up well running third in the Spring Stakes at Newcastle. Fitter for two trials and while drawn wide he generally goes forward so that’s not such a big deal. Keep in mind.
How to play it: Rockarosa E/W ($12 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Rockarosa runs fifth at Kensington on March 4
|Race 6 – 4:30PM EXCEED AND EXCEL @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Segalas swept home to win well first-up then up to 1200m and was just left a sitting shot for the winner who had her back in the run. That horse has since run well again and coming back 100m suits. Good speed here and is one of the main chances.
Dangers: 9. Military Magic faces her biggest test but she’s hard to knock with three wins from as many starts to her name. Beat a smart one at Canterbury before a spell and trial was fine a couple of weeks ago. In light after the claim and that makes her dangerous. 2. Rancho Notorious came of age last preparation winning three from six and was competitive in all of those starts. Acts well fresh and is a good each-way chance. 5. Witherspoon is a speedy mare drawn wide and she’ll look to find the front. Run down by a promising one last time over this trip and can give a sight.
How to play it: Segalas WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Segalas runs second at Warwick Farm on March 11
|Race 7 – 5:05PM SCHWEPPES HANDICAP – HEAT OF THE RISING STAR (1200 METRES)|
4. Jetski is a handy type who was able to pick them up from last at Kembla when resuming in what was a soft first-up win. Gets back so will need some breaks in the run but kept fresh, down 2kg, and was very competitive in similar company last time in. Should feature.
Dangers: 7. Irish Songs is another backmarker which is why he’s won three from 19 but the form behind Julian Rock and Al Mah Haha from the Country Championships Qualifier at Moruya is good enough for him to be in the finish. Will need the race run to suit but each-way claims. 5. Beach Baby sat on the speed and proved far too strong at Goulburn first-up from a 13 month break so can only be a bit fitter for that. Down 2kg and retains Robbie Dolan. Should be prominent again and is a definite chance. 2. Intrinsic had good support in a Provincial Championships Qualifier at Hawkesbury and was beaten less than a length. Might be better suited back to 1200m with a bit of speed on so entitled to another chance.
How to play it: Jetski WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Jetski wins at Kembla Grange on March 3
|Race 8 – 5:40PM TAB VENUE MODE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
5. Cisco Bay hit the lead about 150m out in a similar race here two weeks ago and just didn’t put it away. Much better off at the weights and blinkers go on. Rarely too far away and looks a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 4. Dio D’Oro was a drifter in betting and just battled in the National Sprint at Canberra and is back to a more suitable class here. Yet to try a mile but previous form consistent on wet tracks and any rain would aid his chances. 3. Kaapfever won the race Cisco Bay contested and it was a very nice win off a wide gate. Drawn inside and while up 2kg he should hold his form now and be around the mark. 8. Loveseat is a handy middle distance mare resuming at a trip that can see her competitive fresh. Did plenty of chasing to win her second trial at Randwick on the synthetic and bears close watching with JMac riding first-up.
How to play it: Cisco Bay E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Cisco Bay runs fifth at Warwick Farm on March 11