By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a soft to heavy track.
|Race 1 – 2.10PM VINERY STUD HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. Mura Mura has the form on the board from a couple of starts in good quality races and with some wet track form as well. Game third after leading in the Golden Gift and she tuned up with a handy trial at Rosehill last week where she was strong through the line. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 6. Selhurst Park has trialled up encouragingly and chased home Swift Witness, who has since run well in the Wyong Magic Millions, in the latest trial. Likely to roll forward and can give a sight. 4. Ranch Hand is a well bred colt from the Waller stable whose two trials have been sound as well. Found James McDonald to ride and drawn well, not completely sure how he will go on a seriously wet track but have to include. 12. Honeycreeper is a typically well bred filly from Godolphin and has only been seen once at the trials. Likely to be an improver on what she showed there at Kembla a couple of weeks ago.
How to play it: Mura Mura WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Mura Mura runs third in the Golden Gift on November 7
|Race 2 - 2:45PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS PLATE (1300 METRES)|
10. Fifteen Aria is a very interesting filly from the Waller yard and have liked her trials leading into her debut. The Rosehill trial a few weeks ago was excellent and the latest at Canterbury sound on a wet track. Nicely drawn and one to keep a close eye on.
Dangers: 4. Overlord has been scratched a couple of times of late since trialling nicely at the end of November. Now gelded, he has performed against stronger opposition and proven in the wet. Been costly but must include. 3. Captivare will race up on the pace though fair to say he’s had his chance in a couple of recent second placings. Question mark on a wet track but fit and can give a sight. 1. Adelaide's Light was solid in betting on debut at Newcastle and went down fighting. Probably goes forward here and has an each-way chance at least.
How to play it: Fifteen Aria E/W ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Fifteen Aria runs fourth in a Canterbury trial on December 15
|Race 3 – 3.20PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
2. Harpo Marx is starting to hit his straps now and lived right up to the short price when romping away at Wyong third-up. Small query if the track is very heavy but he will stay and is at the peak of his form now. Good chance.
Dangers: 1. Kutayha beat Harpo Marx two starts ago then favourite when third again at Canterbury both on good tracks. Has some soft track form and is still on the up. Meets Harpo Marx worse at the weights but is the logical threat. 4. Satin Rain has been thereabouts as usual and has at times proven capable in the wet. Last start was sound over this course in a strangely run race so happy to forgive a little. Each-way. 3. Notabadidea is on the back up after running a handy sixth behind Edison at Randwick on Saturday at $201. Is jumping 1000m but has mixed distances in the past with some success. Has a show.
How to play it: Harpo Marx WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Harpo Marx wins at Wyong on December 10
|Race 4 – 3.55PM DRINKWISE MILE (1600 METRES)|
6. Foxborough won’t get a better chance than this to post an overdue win, she had no luck at all at Wyong last start and still looked the winner at the 200m. Likes the wet, drawn well and top jockey rides. Plenty to like.
Dangers: 2. Wairere Falls has raced fairly in two starts since a pair of wins in October. Made some ground last time behind The Elanora and this is coming back a notch on that. Definite threat. 4. Atlantic King was an impressive winner over Gone Bye three starts ago on a soft 7 but disappointed in his latest in the same race as Wairere Falls. Entitled to another chance. 8. Mocambo is a likely improver third-up now he's out to a mile. Even effort as favourite at Hawkesbury last time, has performed in both starts here.
How to play it: Foxborough WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Foxborough runs third at Wyong on December 16
|Race 5 – 4.30PM RANVET HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
10. Shaik is a big watch at her first start for the Hawkes yard. She has wet track form around North Pacific and Smart Image from the winter and performed admirably against them. Weights suit on her first-up run and trial since sound. Respect.
Dangers: 2. Miss Dior beat Shaik at Kembla then went to Wyong and was too strong late in a two horse war down the straight. Hard to knock. 9. Irish Angel has some good wet track credentials from last time in including a heavy 10 win at Canterbury in June. Seems to be trialling very well and wouldn’t shock to see her in the finish. 1. Hibiscus Lady is always a chance, was a soft 7 winner first-up at Gosford then competitive at this level. Each-way.
How to play it: Shaik WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Shaik runs third in a Rosehill trial on December 18
|Race 6 - 5:05PM IMPENDING @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
11. Super Effort holds the key to this race. Form up north in his first preparation reads pretty well despite a defeat as favourite last start. Two trials back in Sydney and looked in control winning the second on a soft track. Nicely drawn and should run very well.
Dangers: 7. Invincible Lad is racing so well of late without winning he has to be included in the chances. Charged home from well back at Kensington last time while he rode the speed here two starts ago. Versatile and handles all conditions. 3. Exceltic is a good wet tracker generally, particularly if it gets out of the heavy range, and he was narrowly beaten by Invincible Lad back in June before winning at his next start. Down in grade on latest and well worth keeping safe. 4. Rabbit Clause is a promising type resuming and betting will be a good pointer to where he stands fresh. Went to the paddock a winner and he trialled well behind a couple of Group class gallopers at Canterbury. Keep in mind.
How to play it: Super Effort WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Super Effort wins a trial at Canterbury on December 15
|Race 7 - 5:40PM TAB HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
1. Ulysses is flying this time in and was impressive when well supported in winning here two weeks ago. That was on a good track but should be okay in the wet on what he’s shown so far. Honest type, even fitter, and sure to be in the finish.
Dangers: 8. Strawb chased Ulysses home in the same race after giving away a decent start. Might want a bit further and does want some improvement in the track but has to be included in the main chances. 9. Brutality showed plenty of promise last time in as a miler/middle distance horse in the making and won well on a heavy track before a spell. Not judging him on his two trials, he may need the run but the conditions bring him into it. One to watch. 14. Spokesman is one to consider at odds first-up since being gelded. Didn’t fire last time in but has shown ability and his wet track credentials are sound. Watch for any support but could surprise.
How to play it: Ulysses E/W ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Ulysses wins at Warwick Farm on December 9