By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM FROSTED @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Jack The Lad did more than enough on debut, when a firmer at odds in betting, to say he’ll bounce off his close third here a couple of weeks back and be hard to beat. Has gate one and with the race experience expect him to be competitive in a winnable race.
Dangers: 4. Much Much Better had some support first-up at Kensington, led and boxed on okay beaten two lengths. Runner-up has since won in town. Blinkers go on here, you won’t miss him in the run given his white-grey look and he could be harder to beat. 5. Seleque gets the blinkers on after another closing second this time at Hawkesbury, following a Newcastle debut. Go well. 11. So Far Away made good ground from well back first-up at Kembla so the extra trip a plus. Placed here on debut and drawn nicely.
How to play it: Jack The Lad E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Jack The Lad runs third at Warwick Farm on September 2
|Race 2 – 2.00PM VINERY STALLIONS PLATE (1100 METRES)|
8. Newsreader made an eye-catching debut then up in class at start two and ran an even race as one of the fancies. Liked her two trials, particularly the latter, and if she runs up to her debut effort then she’ll go very close here.
Dangers: 5. Osamu could be a big improver right back in class on his failure in the San Domenico where he sat wide and faded badly. He’d trialled okay going into that race and did chase Mamaragan home in the Skyline earlier this year so he has the ability. Keep safe. 7. Deniki has led at both starts, he was just outpointed by Kumasi on debut then an odds-on favourite here in March and was safely held. Trialling very well, likely to look to lead and wouldn’t be writing him off just yet especially with Malkovich coming out. 2. Fastconi made a promising debut back in May then disappointing at only other start. Typical stable trial recently and bears close watching.
How to play it: Newsreader WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Newsreader runs second in a Randwick trial on September 9
|Race 3 – 2:35PM IRON JACK HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. Suave has a few things against him with a weight rise and outside barrier but at the same time he’s a dry tracker and showed his best with a dominant win three weeks ago. Goes to the mile and with even luck is capable of running over them again.
Dangers: 6. Gemmahra will likely lead as she did when run down in the last few strides over this course two weeks ago. She probably wasn’t far enough in front on the bend there as she doesn’t have a huge turn of foot so wouldn’t surprise if she rolls more this time. If that’s the case she’s hard to run down. 7. Bucharest looks promising and overcame a 100m distance drop to make it two from two at Newcastle earlier this month. Needs to take a step up from that to justify his price but may well be up to it. 3. Carluca meets Gemmahra better at the weights for finishing right on her hammer. Tends to find a couple better but racing well and wouldn’t shock to see him break through at odds.
How to play it: Suave WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Suave wins at Kensington on August 26
|Race 4 – 3:10PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (2200 METRES)|
1. Magic Over The Bay has found an ideal race to have his best chance to win one this time in. Good effort here on a heavy two runs back then back onto good ground hit the line well in a harder race at Rosehill. Won a similar race here in January and should be hard to beat.
Dangers: 7. Prince Of Arragon is bursting to win a race and was just outsprinted by Frenzied in a small field at Wyong last time out. Meets that horse better at the weights and while eligible for easier is a threat. 2. Pressure comes through the same race as Magic Over The Bay, she led there and weakened. Narrowly beaten at her previous two starts and is entitled to another chance. 6. Wild Sheila graduated to this level with a sound second over 2400m two weeks ago where she had her chance but kept chasing to the line. Possibly a little more depth in this one but racing too well to leave out.
How to play it: Magic Over The Bay WIN ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Magic Over The Bay runs fifth at Rosehill on August 29
|Race 5 – 3:45PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Miss Fox makes her city debut on the back of four straight wins up to benchmark 64 level. She’s quite versatile and can lead or sit off them, as she did first-up in a very strong looking Wyong win. Will have to step up but she’s hard to knock and very backable. Read trainer Adam Duggan's comments here.
Dangers: 5. Plaquette is a little hit and miss but was right on the mark when resuming with a strong come from behind win at Kensington three weeks ago. Barrier not so much an issue with the straight run here and she can be hard to hold out if she reproduces the first-up run. 11. Fritz’s Factor has a case each-way first-up on the back of a nice quiet trial. She usually runs well fresh and did last last prep before placing in a Country Championship qualifier. Highway winner at this trip in December and can run well. 1. Al Mah Haha found one better in all four runs last time in including the Country Championships Final. Only has to run up to any of those performances to be in the finish and barrier one looks a plus at this stage.
How to play it: Miss Fox E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Miss Fox wins at Wyong on August 30
|Race 6 – 4:20PM BOWERMANS COMMERCIAL FURINTURE HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
7. Alison Of Tuffy is a good each-way hope at big odds. Forget the first-up run on a leader biased heavy track, she was very strong late from the back at Kensington second-up in a run much more like her usual form. Competitive in this grade last time in and could surprise.
Dangers: 8. Joviality won on a heavy track here last month at 1300m then big effort back 200m to score easily, albeit in a smaller field, two weeks ago. Right on the way up and looks hard to beat again. 3. Karaja appreciated getting back onto a dry track when placing in a similar race here third-up from a spell. Drawn to get a similar run and is an each-way hope once again. 12. Giovanna Run led all the way second-up at Kensington then six weeks between runs and she was never really a factor at Randwick. Back a notch in depth here and has gate one so wouldn’t shock if she’s more prominent and improves. There’s a chance she’s a wet tracker so we’ll find out here.
How to play it: Alison Of Tuffy E/W ($31 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Alison Of Tuffy runs sixth at Kensington on August 26
|Race 7 – 4:55PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
15. Acrophobic looked very promising winning here on debut in May then ran last at Randwick but pulled up with cardiac arrhythmia so forgive that. Liked his latest trial and might get a nice run up on speed somewhere. Good chance.
Dangers: 7. Phemonoe raced handy albeit three wide against the mares here second-up and boxed on pretty well. Not emphasising the wide run so much as it’s a straight run to the turn but she’ll be close to a peak now and drawn economically. Logical danger. 4. Green Mountain produced a nice turn of foot to burst through and break away late winning at Newcastle at his third run in Australia. Trip shouldn’t be an issue and could easily measure up. 12. Royal Marine basically had an exhibition gallop as he led all the way to an easy Hawkesbury win first-up so should have a bit to offer here. Obviously a bit tougher but looks to be coming good now and has a case.
How to play it: Acrophobic E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Acrophobic runs third in a Randwick trial on September 8