By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Warwick Farm. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:35PM AUTUMN CARNIVAL ON SALE (1400 METRES)|
6. Rexx is a big query as he finally makes his debut for Chris Waller after a barrier mishap saw him scratched a couple of weeks back. He started in the market in two Queensland runs last autumn and didn’t fire but gelded and switching stables he’s well worth respecting. He hasn’t been asked for anything in his trials so it’ll be interesting to see what he can do when he opens up. Market a good late guide too.
Dangers: 2. Belladeel was heavily backed into a short priced favourite at her first outing on the Kensington track, she led and perhaps went a bit slow in front as she was easily outsprinted finishing midfield beaten a couple of lengths. Entitled to another chance here. 5. Proud Tradition contested the same race for his debut and while a big drifter in betting he worked to the line okay. Has blinkers on here and open to improvement so an each-way chance at least. 3. King Of Seas may have been beaten five lengths in his latest trial but he stretched out with purpose very late in a more than handy effort. Goes to 1400m which he should appreciate and no surprise if he runs well.
How to play it: Rexx WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds).
Rexx has an easy trial when fourth at Warwick Farm on January 8
|Race 2 - 2:15PM EVENTS BY ATC HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
4. Smart Decision is worth something each-way at her deubt on the back of what was a super trial win at Randwick almost a month ago. Plenty to like about how she found the line from well back without more than a little niggle and this is a winnable race. Like to see some support but is right in it on her trial.
Dangers: 1. Les Amoureux can’t be far off a win after two narrow defeats on end. Beaten favourite at Newcastle over a mile last start where the winner came from behind her. Coming back 200m is a small concern but is one of the main chances. 6. Princess Siri started 100/1 at Canterbury a couple of weeks ago and almost pulled off an upset as she ran on strongly from last. Shapes as though 1400m will suit and while wary she was a longshot there and probably goes back again it’s hard to leave her out. 7. Savigne may want further than 1400m after debuting at that trip and only warming up in the last bit but she has some upside, the inside gate and James McDonald so it’s best to give her due consideration.
How to play it: Smart Decision E/W ($8.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Smart Decision wins a trial at Randwick on December 17
|Race 3 – 2.50PM 2019 MEMBERSHIP HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
3. Tycoon Street probably didn’t quite get the 1550m last time as she loomed up to win and looked the winner before having to settle for second. Her best form is around the 1400m and the form around her last start has held up strongly. It’d be a surprise if she’s not right in the finish.
Dangers: 5. Luskintyre Lass is on the back up from last Wednesday at Canterbury where she ran an improved second behind Aperitif but at the same time had her chance. Won’t be far away in the run and is worth including. 6. Xaarfoxylady stormed home when the race was all over at Newcastle on Boxing Day for an excellent second placing and if they happen to go nuts up front she’ll be the one running on late. Not sure what to do with 2. Maid Marilyn who was racing very well before running last on the Kensington track a month ago when a big drifter in betting. Forgive one bad run?
How to play it: Tycoon Street WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Tycoon Street runs second to Toryjoy at Randwick on December 21
|Race 4 – 3.25PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
Hard to tip against the promising 8. Prophet’s Thumb who returned with a dominant win at Gosford at the end of December, running the fastest last 600m (33.06) and 200m (10.81) of the day (Punters Intelligence). Her only defeat was in Listed company and she had excuses and she’s the one with all the upside into this race. Drawn ideally and she should handle the class rise in her stride. Take beating. Read trainer David Pfieffer's comments here.
Dangers: 5. Marmaris disappointed first-up when hard in the market in the race won by All Too Royal at Canterbury. That was an on pace race so perhaps he’s worth forgiving as he showed promise last time in. Likely improver. 2. Crafty Tycoon has a bit going for him here with a soft draw and James McDonald to ride. Ran on as he usually does at Randwick last time and is usually around the mark in these races. Each-way claims. 7. Spencer attacked the line pretty well late when resuming at Gosford and he will appreciate the extra 100m. Whether he wants a bit further is the question, he’s yet to win below 1350m, but is one to include in the trifectas.
How to play it: Prophet’s Thumb WIN ($2.10 TAB Fixed Odds).
Prophet’s Thumb wins easily first-up at Gosford on December 28
|Race 5 – 4.05PM BOWERMANS OFFICE FURNITURE HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. And So It Goes appeals each-way first-up since October and she’s definitely good enough to be a player in an open race. No luck two starts ago then just fair before a break but she’s been competitive in better company and likes the 1000m trip. Fresh and with blinkers on she can run a nice race.
Dangers: 4. Royal Witness didn’t settle all that well on the Kensington track first-up but he kept going and held on for a narrow win. He’s an improving type and if he can settle better this time around he should be hard to beat again. 3. Invincible Gangsta is a very consistent horse and was only beaten a few lengths by Safado in his trial ahead of this race. Yet to win fresh but rarely far away and drawn to have every chance. 8. November Man has to go into the mix as he was finishing over the top of Royal Witness when they met on January 1. He’s good enough to be thereabouts again and will be strong late but the strike rate is getting to be an issue.
How to play it: And So It Goes E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
And So It Goes runs fourth at Randwick on October 1.
|Race 6 - 4:45PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
4. My Song should be up on the pace somewhere and is fitter for one run back on the Kensington track where he battled away okay after being taken on up front. This is a wide open race, hard to be confident, but no surprise to see him give a good account here..
Dangers: 5. Bull Market can be forgiven for failing first-up last month in a race dominated by those on the pace. He didn’t get into it at any stage there but out to 1400m on this track is much more up his alley. Keep safe. 9. Playard is one of those horses that is always thereabouts and he battled away just missing a place behind Dawn Raid at Canterbury. Drawn well and while he hasn’t won for some time he’s an each-way hope. 6. Nicochet has been all over the place distance wise but he is yet to win beyond 1400m so back on his home track and in a race up for grabs he can feature.
How to play it: My Song E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
My Song's first-up run at Randwick on January 1
|Race 7 - 5:20PM TAB HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
3. Cyber Intervention is starting to come of age now and it’d be no surprise to see him string a few wins together. Powered to the line to win over the Randwick mile last start in similar grade and appears to have a race where he’ll be able to settle midfield or worse and come with one run at them. And he’ll take holding out if he maintains his form.
Dangers: 1. Great Job is a bit of a threat on his game first-up second after leading at Randwick where he was run down late by a progressive type in Fuchu. Fitter, unbeaten second-up and the distance is ideal. He will give a huge sight and the scratchings have helped his cause. 9. Botti is probably a bit short in the betting given he was safely held first-up against his own age, even if he did make some nice late ground. Mile will suit him and he can’t be left out. If he wins he might be a handy one. 4. Zeppelin is racing well and followed a strong Wyong win with a close third at Randwick on January 1. He’ll be in the first half from a good gate and only needs to hold his form and he can be in the finish.
How to play it: Cyber Intervention WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Cyber Intervention’s impressive win at Randwick on December 26