By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 - 1:15PM MERCHANT NAVY @ COOLMORE PLATE (1200 METRES)|
6. Espiona is a little on the short priced side for a first starter but she has looked to be quite smart in her trial wins, the latest coming a couple of weeks back. Trialled in good and soft ground, drawn well, small field. The one to beat.
Dangers: 1. Armour Force ran well in all three starts earlier this year and returns as a gelding. Very easy trial win coming into this and bears close watching. 5. Arranmore had some support on debut at Kensington two weeks ago and while no match for the winner produced a handy second placing. Fitter and worth including. 4. Uncaged was runner-up to Armour Force in his second trial and he showed enough in his first prep to suggest he could be an improver this time around.
How to play it: Espiona WIN ($1.55 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Espiona wins a trial at Rosehill on September 28
|Race 2 - 1:50PM ADMIRE MARS AT ARROWFIELD HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
5. Gracilistyla had a torrid run in the middle stages last start and wound up outside the leader before not surprisingly he weakened late. Draws well for the first time and has a strong chance to break through.
Dangers: 2. Podium kicked off at the same meeting and he found the line strongly into third in a 1200m maiden, run slightly faster. He should relish 1400m and is another likely improver. 4. Yagoona was held up for a run early in the straight and made good late ground on debut at Kensington, whether he had a tougher run than Gracilistyla in the same race is questionable though. Still has upside and is one of the chances. 7. Vanburg comes through the same race and while he didn't show up he has a slightly better set up and could be an improver.
How to play it: Gracilistyla WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Gracilistyla runs fifth at Kensington on September 29
|Race 3 - 2:25PM VINERY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. Jerle was a beaten favourite first-up in a 900m scamper then big effort to finish as close as he did at Rosehill last week. On the back up with blinkers on and while drawn out it’s no issue at this starting point. Take beating.
Dangers: 5. Major Murphy has tended to mix his form but impressed with a strong finish into second at Wyong third-up from a break. Soft track would suit and he’s an each-way hope. 4. Moralist has been racing well and this is slightly easier than his last start when beaten a few lengths in a Midway run in very fast time at Randwick. Handles all conditions and has a show. 3. Super Contender was a little disappointing last time but there was plenty of merit in his first two runs this time in. Back in distance and needs a win but rather include than leave out.
How to play it: Jerle WIN ($2.25 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Jerle runs second at Rosehill on October 6
|Race 4 - 3:00PM RANVET HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
5. From The Bush is flying in the country cups in the western area, winning the Forbes and Bathurst Cups on a variety of track conditions. Should land just off the speed here and get his chance to run into the finish. Go well.
Dangers: 3. Jazzland gave a big sight as he often does first-up at this trip at Gosford, run down by Shibli who has since won again. Honest type when in form and if allowed to roll along he can take running down. 6. Grande Rumore has settled back and run on when it’s all over in both starts this time in. Drops in class and goes in the mix, query at a mile if it’s a high pressure race. 4. Monsieur Sisu led and didn’t fire first-up last week but will be fitter for that. Likes his home track and generally improves second-up, so can’t be discounted.
How to play it: From The Bush WIN ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
From The Bush wins the Bathurst Cup
|Race 5 - 3:35PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
8. Zudin has only won once in 12 starts but his recent efforts have suggested he’s not far off a breakthrough. Drops 4kg on his latest effort when run down by Silhouette at Wyong off a five week break. If he gets a soft run he can have his chance.
Dangers: 5. Arabolini is racing very well at the moment without winning and he’ll likely give another good account up on the speed. Rallied when he looked beaten at Kensington over this trip and is a chance again. 4. Sound Of Cannons comes right back in class on the Colin Stephen last time when safely held by Entente. On his two efforts at Rosehill back in July he’d be hard to beat. 1. Savvy Valentino started $26 when he ran down Arabolini in his first sign of form this time in so it’ll be interesting to see if he can repeat the effort. Won three of four at this trip so obviously fires over the staying journey.
How to play it: Zudin E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Zudin runs second at Wyong on September 30
|Race 6 - 4:15PM YULONG HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
4. Daralina Belle has kept improving with each start, winning all three in the country with the latest a dominant showing at Scone a month ago. Warmed up with an easy trial win here last week and is hard to beat again. Read trainer Matthew Smith's comments here.
Dangers: 7. Either Oar might be a good longshot. Last couple have been below par but on her effort behind Royalzel at Kembla before that she’s more than capable of giving some cheek. 5. Parachuter handled the rise into this class nicely two weeks ago when placed at Kensington. If she can back that up she’s right in the finish. 6. Rebel Rama is a handy middle distance mare resuming since the Queensland Oaks and while she is yet to win fresh she showed in her latest trial she has come up pretty well. Could run into the placings at least.
How to play it: Daralina Belle WIN ($1.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Daralina Belle wins a trial at Warwick Farm on October 5
|Race 7 - 4:55PM KEENELAND HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
8. Zorocat has been freshened up since a fair effort at Randwick five weeks ago and on her form prior she’s a big chance here. Started favourite when placed behind Ashman two back and handles any ground. Drawn to stalk and has a good each-way hope.
Dangers: 7. Mollycoddle looked good early in her prep with a strong first-up win at Wyong on a heavy track then her form tapered off. James McDonald rides, drawn okay and if she’s on song she’s a definite chance. 9. Torun didn’t have a lot of luck in his first two runs back this time in and was game enough when placed at Kensington two weeks ago. Blinkers go on and should get a truly run race. Must be considered. 2. Exceltic is a big finisher and can never be left out. Has charged home from well back in his last two to be around the money and can’t be left out.
How to play it: Zorocat E/W ($9.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Zorocat runs third at Randwick on July 31
|Race 8 - 5:35PM TAB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
13. Your Too Good shrugged off a flop second-up with a more controlled effort here last time, sweeping to the lead on the turn and just going under late. Wide gate no negative in this and she could be harder to run down.
Dangers: 12. Six Again is straight out of a maiden win over 900m at Newcastle but she ran right up to the $1.60 price while looking open to so much improvement. This is a handy field so if she can win again she might be a smart one. 1. Lady Brook is a smart country mare now with Joe Pride and freshened since running second in a feature sprint at Wagga six weeks ago. Won a trial last week and is a big market watch. 5. Tiny is a capable mare on her day and she has performed fresh at her past two preps. Wide gate no concern and JMac a plus. Keep in mind.
How to play it: Your Too Good E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Your Too Good runs second at Warwick Farm on October 4