By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting (heavy track), plus Grafton’s Ramornie Handicap (soft track).
|Race 1 – 12:50PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Judicator appreciated the step up in trip at his second start and was coming away in scoring at Hawkesbury last week. Backs up but finds a very winnable race, can sit handy and should take holding out.
Dangers: 3. Echo Lad probably leads as he has done at his past two starts and he boxed away fairly last time at Hawkesbury at 1300m. Likely to get a bit more control here and could be harder to run down. 6. Satin Rain ran well here on debut then straight to a mile and left a bit flat at Newcastle. Inclined to give her another chance though may be giving away a start. 7. Seraph was okay first-up here then never a threat at Canterbury staying at 1200m. Extra distance looks a plus for her.
How to play it: Judicator WIN ($1.85 TAB Fixed Odds).
Judicator wins at Hawkesbury on July 4
|Race 2 - 1:25PM WINTER RACING PLATE (1200 METRES)|
6. Lochita has hit the jackpot as far as a perfect race to debut in is concerned. She looked the goods winning a trial at Randwick on a heavy track recently and with not a lot of speed engaged will likely have control. Take stopping.
Dangers: 7. Sharapova took on some handy types in maidens in her four starts earlier this year and wasn’t disgraced in any. Whether she wants more than 1200m is the query but only has to run up to her second to Almerhiri to be in the finish. 1. Emergent was a short priced favourite at Newcastle first-up and was very plain. Since back to the trials and it was inconclusive as far as a pointer to this race goes. No depth here so entitled to improve. 5. Havana Storm is back a notch looking at the horses she’s met in her three starts thought she was no match for Lochita in a trial on June 28. Place prospects.
How to play it: Lochita WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Lochita wins a trial at Randwick on June 28
|Race 3 – 2.00PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
Another favourite but it’s hard to go past 4. Lashes who had the job of chasing Sir Elton first-up at Wyong. She gave him weight and had to work from a wide gate but held the rest at bay. Fitter, has won here on a wet track and is entitled to win again.
Dangers: 3. Black Magnum is a worry as he showed ability last preparation and has trialled up nicely including a super effort to chase down a tearaway leader at Randwick on June 28. If there’s a chink in Lashes’ armour then he’s the one. 5. Transmitter is coming back in class after an even effort behind River Bird at Rosehill third-up. Jury probably out on whether she gets through the heavy ground and this race probably provides a verdict. 2. Wander wasn’t far away last prep and it’s worth noting his best effort came on a heavy track. Narrow trial winner recently and drawn the inside, so if that’s not a disadvantage he’s a contender.
How to play it: Lashes WIN ($1.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
Lashes runs second to Sir Elton at Wyong on June 20
|Race 4 – 2.35PM TAB HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
Somewhat keen on 6. Southern Romance who looks to enjoy a nice run here. Dominant second-up then tried very hard on a heavy 9 on the Kensington track going under half a length. Comes back 100m which is a plus and will have every chance.
Dangers: 1. Knowitall Jack hasn’t raced since a narrow victory after leading at Canterbury back in May. He’s a very good trialler and his recent hitout is testament to that. Must be respected. 2. A Million Dreams drops 2.5kg for a solid second at Hawkesbury on a heavy track a couple of weeks ago and with blinkers on is one to include in all multiples. 9. Licko’paint chased hard first-up then had every chance behind Misteed at Canterbury three weeks ago but only faded late. Will be on the pace here and stays down in the weights with the claim.
How to play it: Southern Romance WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Southern Romance runs third at Randwick on June 26
|Race 5 – 3.10PM ALL TOO HARD @ VINERY HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Monasterio rolled to the front and kept them running in a very easy win third-up at Randwick and this is no harder. Has an extra 2.5kg but likely to attempt similar tactics and if he’s allowed to get comfortable will be tough to run down. Read trainer Joe Pride's comments here.
Dangers: 3. Sonaree probably didn’t quite get the 1900m last start but his form around the mile prior was very solid. Blinker go back on and he will race near the speed. Definite chance. 10. Black And Tan handled a class rise pretty well but was no match for Unguarded at Randwick over 1400m. Yet to prove herself at the mile but at peak after three runs back and on the limit weight. Has claims. 2. Pelethronius was expected to improve onto a heavy track at Randwick last time and he finished midfield in a fair effort. Down in class here on his three runs back, on his home track and gets another heavy surface. One more chance for him.
How to play it: Monasterio E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Monasterio leads all the way to win at Randwick on June 26
|Race 6 – 3.45PM EVEREST CARNIVAL HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
10. High Low Bet will not get a better chance to break through than this time though she tends to be one of those horses that runs on late. No match for Seles first-up then worked home as usual into third at Randwick. The race has fallen away and she's hard to stop now.
Dangers: 4. Loved One was too bad to be true at Newcastle last start but form prior is good with a win over Unguarded. Run down in her trial since last start but blinkers come off. Likely improver. 3. Cuban Sizzle has slightly stronger form lines having tackled Notation last time at Randwick. Thought she boxed on okay without being sensational but well suited with the scratchings. 2. Sweet Ava probably leads but she found little after leading here a month ago. Not sure how well she's going but this is a good chance to find her best.
How to play it: High Low Bet WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
High Low Bet's last start third at Randwick on June 26
|GRAFTON Race 7 - 4:00PM GDSC RAMORNIE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Haunted would probably be a hot favourite on had he not failed as a short priced elect at Flemington in May where he didn’t give a yelp. Form prior was first class including a Group 3 placing in a good form race. Soft trial since and blinkers off. Looks hard to beat if you can forgive one bad run.
Dangers: 9. Top Striker has been set for this race and showed he’s ready with a strong come from behind win at Rosehill on a heavy track. He was 40/1 there but it was a big win and he’s generally a consistent. Goes well. 17. Viceroy might be a good longshot, there was plenty to like about his first-up run at Randwick behind Southern Lad as he warmed up strongly late from the back. Drawn well here and could surprise. 1. Care To Think is at a crossroad. He’s been disappointing at his last two preps, though last winter he did race in Group 1 company, and his two trials have been fine but no real pointer to how he’s going. On old form he’s the horse to beat but can only take him on trust to find it.
How to play it: Haunted WIN ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Haunted’s trial at Randwick on June 28
|WARWICK FARM Race 7 - 4:20PM EXOSPHERE @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
8. The Party Girl didn’t do a bad job to run fourth at Kensington last time, coming from the back with the first three home holding their place in the run. Her final 600m was easily the fastest of the race in 35.67 (Punter's Intelligence), three lengths quicker than any other runner. Brilliant winner prior and looks to be enough tempo here for her to charge. Should be in the finish.
Dangers: 4. Pembroke Castle had his chance but did make the winner work at Newcastle in rainy conditions second-up. Has a heavy track win, drawn well and Bowman rides. Must include. 11. He’s A Given left it a bit late at Hawkesbury last week but he is a good wet tracker who often runs well on his home track and is in on the limit weight. Each-way. 6. Musume will lead them and she's looked good with wins out of town but not quite up to it at this level. Comes back to 1400m and handles the wet so that gives her a shot.
How to play it: The Party Girl WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds).
The Party Girl runs fourth at Randwick on June 26