By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Warwick Farm. Selections based on a good to soft track.
|Race 1 – 2:20PM STUD & STABLE STAFF AWARDS PLATE (1300 METRES)|
5. Head Of State is set to kick off his campaign with a win if his latest trial is anything to go by. He did it so easily in his Rosehill hitout a couple of weeks ago and this race at 1300m is tailor made. Showed a touch of class on debut running on in the Golden Gift and he can go on to better races.
Dangers: 4. Gulf Of Thailand might be the main threat though he has a few lengths to make up on Head Of State from the trial they contested. He also trialled well behind Home Affairs and King Of Sparta, form that has held up, so commands some respect as we all know trials and races are different beasts. 3. Dark Energy is a half-brother to two time Group 1 winner Impending on debut on the back of two rather quiet trials. You’d be disappointed if he can’t gallop given his pedigree so keep an eye on betting. 9. Collier Bay wasn’t disgraced in the Inglis Nursery behind Acrobat and it’s interesting to see her return from a break at 1300m having not yet been past 1000m. Sharp trial winner last week and could give a sight.
How to play it: Head Of State WIN ($1.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Head Of State wins a trial at Rosehill on January 27
|Race 2 – 2.55PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Military Parade showed more than enough on debut when a closing second at Canterbury, in a race not run to suit him, that there are wins in his near future. Small query on coming back 50m but sure to haven taken benefit and if that’s the case he will go very close.
Dangers: 3. Seleque was shaping up okay in her first three starts then failed at Kensington back in September before a spell. Both trials have been on the synthetic so there’s that little question but with the McDonald/Waller combination prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt first-up with blinkers off. 7. Canadian Spice has teased a win is coming soon on a few occasions and she’s done it again in a couple of quite promising trial performances leading into this campaign. There’s a chance she needs this run and improves but have to throw her in the mix. 6. Impressive Lass hit the line with a bit of purpose to get within half a length of a maiden win second-up at Gosford. Improving type and not underestimating her.
How to play it: Military Parade WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Military Parade runs second at Canterbury on January 22
|Race 3 – 3:30PM FROSTED @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
7. French Bonnet looks a progressive filly and has earned her shot in town with a couple of dominant performances at the provincials. She can lead or sit off the pace and that versatility will come in handy in what looks a deep race. That said if she comes out on top it’ll be no surprise. Read trainer Kim Waugh's comments here.
Dangers: 5. Super Effort bumped into the smart Private Eye at Kensington second-up off an unlucky fresh effort then prepared to forgive last time back to 1100m at Randwick where he was trapped wide. Rocketing By won that race. Up in distance again and drawn one he can rebound. 4. Jack The Lad looked in a perfect spot on the turn first-up but didn’t quicken and was pinballed a little before finishing 1.7 from Catapult. Fitter and blinkers go on so he can certainly improve. 1. Never Never River wasn’t able to find a controlling spot on the pace second-up but did the dictating from on the speed at Wyong last time out. Expect he will look to lead or be outside the lead and that’s his best chance of winning on what he’s shown to date.
How to play it: French Bonnet WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
French Bonnet wins at Gosford on January 27
|Race 4 – 4:05PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (2200 METRES)|
6. La Grisa will find this easier than a rather brutally run Australia Day Cup and is well worth another chance. Hit the line strongly over this course prior to that on heavy ground and is a lot better on firmer footing. Looks a good chance to break through.
Dangers: 8. Alakahan found the line very nicely at a mile when resuming at Gosford and will relish the extra ground. It is a class rise, that was a Class 1, but he’s lightly raced and these races are tailor made for progressive horses so he’s worth respect. 5. Space Is Deep disappointed when favourite at Canterbury third-up after suggesting a win wasn’t too far off with a solid second-up effort. Best efforts have been on soft to heavy tracks which is a small concern but happy to include in the chances. 4. Merlinite was unlucky three starts back and solid enough two back before possibly out of his depth behind Harpo Marx at Rosehill but that race was strongly run. Back in grade and with the claim he’s capable of better.
How to play it: La Grisa E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
La Grisa runs second at Warwick Farm on January 6
|Race 5 – 4:40PM BOWERMANS COMMERCIAL FURNITURE HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
6. On Her Word looks to be back on track after an unlucky second-up run at Canterbury. She no doubt should have finished closer after spending plenty of time going sideways looking to get clear. Like her drawn wide, with the straight run to the turn, and this should be her best run of the prep. Go well.
Dangers: 2. Exotic Ruby returned with a pleasing second behind Lillemor at Rosehill last month and that form has held up pretty well. She’s been back to the trials since, if there’s a small concern it’s staying at 1100m but gate one and James McDonald are assets. Hard to beat. 1. Sally’s Day comes through the same race as Exotic Ruby where she ran fourth as favourite. Has the ability to win this but just needs the right sort of run so rather include than dismiss. 7. Ballistica closed off her race well enough fresh at Gosford and will be better suited back at this track with the blinkers on. Her best efforts are good enough to make a case that she can run well.
How to play it: On Her Word E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
On Her Word runs fifth at Canterbury on January 22
|Race 6 – 5:15PM TAB LONG MAY WE PLAY HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
8. Travest hasn’t been seen since Boxing Day where he was a well backed favourite and found himself well off them before making good late ground. He’ll get back a bit again but at this track isn’t not so bad with the chute start. Both wins have been here and has to be given another chance.
Dangers: 6. Catapult never runs a bad race and he managed a deserved win in a similar race where he picked them up late. Goes up the 2kg but expect him to give 100 per cent again and he can be in the finish. 5. Awesome Lad made the step from a couple of provincial wins to this sort of grade a month ago chasing home Darleb over this course. Draw has been kinder on him and he’s a definite chance. 10. Avadane sat on the pace and running second to April Rain doesn't look too bad now. Could give a sight.
How to play it: Travest WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Travest’s last start at Randwick on December 26
|Race 7 – 5:50PM VINERY STUD HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
5. Celer really looks to have the hoof on the till after a couple of promising second placings over this course in the past month. Tried hard behind He’s A Hotshot last time and gets the 2kg claim for Tom Sherry and a soft gate. He’ll be thereabouts again.
Dangers: 9. Born A Warrior has always shown a bit of promise and he returned with a nice fourth on a heavy track at Canterbury where he settled near last and hit the line. Fitter, dry track and extra trip are all pluses. Good chance. 4. Beach Baby is one to watch first-up off a couple of disappointing runs at the end of last prep. Did it easily in a Hawkesbury trial and did win fresh two preps ago so no surprise to see him in the finish somewhere. 8. Savoury hasn't been at his best for a couple of preps but he might be comes through a strong trial won by Peltzer. Keep an eye on betting.
How to play it: Celer E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Celer runs second at Warwick Farm on January 26