By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Tuesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 3.15PM TAB PLATE (1100 METRES)|
13. Jenga did it easily when winning the second of two trials this month and the winner of the first came out to win at Kembla on the weekend. That’s encouraging. Looks to have the speed to be prominent and after scratchings is clearly the one to beat.
Dangers: 15. Spirituality ran a cheeky race on debut but hasn't set the world alight to date. She did trial up in handy style at Rosehill recently and with this race falling away a shade is worth keeping safe. 12. In Flanders is still a maiden after nine starts and she did have her chance when favourite at Gosford last time. Will run her usual honest race but perhaps there are a few with more upside. 5. Readapt had plenty of support on debut at Bathurst but faded badly after racing wide on the speed. Trials prior were okay and from an inside alley could be a sharp improver.
How to play it: Jenga WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Jenga wins a trial at Rosehill on January 15
|Race 2 - 3:50PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. More Prophets is back in class after a game third at Randwick in BM78 grade. Granted she had her chance there but she’s still well placed in the make up of this field. Up in weight but should land just behind the speed and can prevail late.
Dangers: 2. Margie Bee was too speedy over this course in a similar race a couple of weeks ago and is the likely leader again. Up 2kg but if she gets her own way and gets rolling she will take running down. 5. Zoumist finished a couple of lengths behind More Prophets at Randwick two starts ago then too classy back in grade at Gosford. Has a big finish and has another chance to measure up. 3. Maui Girl is racing well without winning. Typically game in her past couple at 1550m at Canterbury, coming back in trip here might suit and back against the mares for the first time in three starts. Has a show.
How to play it: More Prophets WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
More Prophets runs second at Randwick on January 9
|Race 3 – 4.25PM RANVET HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Nikohli Beagle has been well placed in three runs out of town this time in and has responded with three dominant wins. Comes to a city assignment in peak form, confidence up, and there’s no reason why he can’t measure right up. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 1. He’s A Hotshot ran well behind All Time Legend two starts ago then raced wide and faded, though wasn’t disgraced, at Rosehill last time. Down in class, drawn kinder here and is well worth another chance. 4. Celer made a handy return with a late closing second over this course two weeks ago and can only be fitter. That was his first placing when fresh so may well be in for a good preparation. Keep in mind. 2. Escaped was typically game first-up at Kensington, prepared to forgive last run here on a heavy track. Capable of turning it around.
How to play it: Nikohli Beagle E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Nikohli Beagle wins at Nowra on December 31
|Race 4 – 5.00PM IMPENDING @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Black Bolt has come back a better horse this time in with a couple of provincial wins then a sound third at Eagle Farm where he didn’t give up the chase. Should get a nice run just off them here and is one of the main chances in an open race.
Dangers: 7. Too Much Class has been taken along well in the country this time in and had plenty on them when scoring over a mile at Orange. No surprise to see her measure up to this field. 2. Ahso had plenty of support on debut at this track earlier this month and led all the way to a comfortable win. That was 1200m on a heavy track and goes straight to the mile here and up 5kg. Has plenty against him but on the up. 4. Macleay will be better for his first run at a mile where he worked home for a solid third behind Zing in an on-pace dominated race. Right in this.
How to play it: Black Bolt E/W ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Black Bolt runs third at Eagle Farm on December 26
|Race 5 – 5.35PM VINERY STUD HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
7. El Cohete was quite sharp winning here three runs back, not disgraced in a strong race two back then struck a wet track when fifth at Randwick a month ago. Kept fresh, back to the sprint trip and blinkers on. Watch for support, he can take holding out.
Dangers: 5. Brazenpine gets back and runs on and did that here last time in a similar race. Potential for good speed here and that suits her style. Sure to be running on as usual. 9. Miss Bosetti had some consistent enough form in Victoria last time in and plenty to like about her two trials lately. Always in control at Gosford in the latest and bears close watching here. 3. Marway is now with Mark Newnham and did it very easily winning a trial at Randwick a couple of weeks ago. Yet to win fresh or below 1200m but in new yard so well worth keeping safe.
How to play it: El Cohete E/W ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
El Cohete runs fifth at Warwick Farm on December 23
|Race 6 - 6:10PM AUSTRALIA DAY CUP (2400 METRES)|
9. Skymax romped away with a lesser race over this course at second Australian start then struck a heavy track when close up on the Kensington track. Drops 8kg for the class rise here and while this is a tougher test there’s no superstars here. Can measure up. Read trainer Mark Newnham's comments here.
Dangers: 2. Wolfe is fitter for two runs back from a spell and showed his typical fight after leading the January Cup to hold down second tom Spirit Ridge. Has placed at 2520m so extra trip no issue and he’s hard to beat. 5. Elaborate is enjoying a good preparation and tried hard when placed in the Magic Millions Trophy. Rarely too far away and with any luck from the alley is a big threat. 3. Primitivo went around in the same race and finished a couple of lengths behind Elaborate. At peak now and can produce a big run every now and then. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Skymax WIN ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Skymax wins at Warwick Farm on December 9
|Race 7 – 6.45PM ROSS BARRY THORNTON HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
9. Jack The Lad showed promise in his first preparation including a win here at his second start. Both trials this time in have been excellent and suited kicking off at the 1400m. Drawn well and has to be in the finish.
Dangers: 3. Stormy Rock swooped on them to win first-up at Newcastle then game in defeat behind Blondeau on a heavy track here earlier this month. Yet to win on a good track but drawn nicely here and should have every chance. 7. Nordicus trialled well at the start of this prep but on the wrong part of the track fresh then poor on a heavy track before beaten less than three lengths at Rosehill last time. Blinkers go on and if he’s going to find some form it’ll be now. 5. Rabbit Clause has been beaten two lengths in all three runs this preparation and doesn't need too much to go right to be competitive.
How to play it: Jack The Lad WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Jack The Lad runs third in a trial at Rosehill on January 15