By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Monday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:15PM QUEEN’S BIRTHDAY PLATE (1100 METRES)|
1. Deep Space is a well bred gelding on debut for Kris Lees and can’t find a lot of fault with his trials leading in. May have overdone it a bit in the latest but that was on a heavy track and the Farm should be better than that. Commands respect.
Dangers: 3. Stormy Rock went way too hard early in his debut at Newcastle when an odds-on favourite and had nothing left for the finish. Had trialled impressively, hence the short price, prior so entitled to another chance. 8. Ultimate Thinker is another who was beaten when in the red first-up on a heavy track. Debuted here back in January wasn’t bad and she could be an improver. 5. Tickler has only had the one trial at Canberra back in February so is a bit of a mystery. Betting some guide but in a small field could show up.
How to play it: Deep Space WIN ($1.55 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Deep Space wins a trial at Wyong on May 27
|Race 2 - 12:50PM IRON JACK PLATE (1200 METRES)|
9. Scenic Warrior was a bit of a hidden run on debut at Canterbury, he went back from a wide gate and ran on nicely out wide late with his 12.65 the race's fastest last 200m (Punter's Intelligence). Kinder draw here and a firmer track will both suit and it’ll be a surprise if he isn’t competitive here.
Dangers: 12. Yulong Code had a hard luck story at his debut at Kensington, he was held up and relegated to near last by the 200m but sprinted through late beaten three lengths by Tommy Gold. Not sure where he gets to in the run, probably back again, but if he runs up to that first effort he will be a threat. 6. Ossabuco showed improvement into his second trial at Canterbury on the heavy ground but you’d imagine a soft track would be even better. In top stable and one to keep an eye on. 3. Gunnamatta has trialled well on two occasions and while not seen anything worse than a soft 5 looks a nice style of horse and could show up.
How to play it: Scenic Warrior E/W ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Scenic Warrior runs fifth at Canterbury on May 27
|Race 3 – 1.25PM SKY RACING ACTIVE PLATE (1200 METRES)|
6. Miravalle is the half-sister to Yankee Rose and she’s trialled like she has more than her share of talent. Not seen for a month but was scratched from a midweek race on heavy ground recently. Drawn well, top jockey, track should suit. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 11. Psychic is an interesting first starter who trialled nicely at Canterbury a bit over a week ago and bears close watching. Grand daughter of top class mare Champagne so should have some stoutness about her. Could surprise. 10. Party Lady is another well bred filly, she’s a grand daughter of Bollinger, and her trials have been sound. Soft draw, top stable and no surprise to see her in the finish. 14. Sprout Wings produced a promising trial on heavy ground at Canterbury late last month and bears some watching here.
How to play it: Miravalle WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Miravalle wins a trial at Randwick on May 5
|Race 4 – 2.00PM PRESS STATEMENT @ VINERY HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
10. Fulmina is a filly on the way up and she did beat Colette before a spell. Resumed with a tough win at Newcastle, and the form has held up okay in town since, and the mile should really suit. Clearly the horse to beat.
Dangers: 4. Broadside Armour won well here on debut then resumed at 1300m here and it wasn’t a bad effort. Had the runner-ups back on the turn but just outsprinted before working home well. Trialled again since and shapes as though the mile suits. Improver. 13. Zing broke her maiden over the same course as Fulmina a couple of weeks back and ran about two lengths slower time. But she had plenty on her maiden rivals and is another who will relish the mile. Could measure up. 2. Foxborough has had a couple of tough runs on heavy tracks of late and went back to the trials after failing over 2000m two weeks ago. Probably more a miler to be fair at the moment and on her best she’s a genuine chance, just a question on how much those runs have taken out of her.
How to play it: Fulmina WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Fulmina wins at Newcastle on May 26
|Race 5 – 2.35PM TAB HANDICAP (2130 METRES)|
8. Stockman is a progressive stayer who has charged through the grades this prep and comes off an impressive Randwick win at 2000m. Shade better ground will be a plus and though taking on older horses he’s the one with all the upside. Only has to hold his form to take this step. Read trainer Joe Pride's comments here.
Dangers: 6. Lord Gododdin will be aided by a soft track after struggling in the very heavy ground at Randwick on the same day Stockman won. He still ran well and showed with his previous run at Canterbury he’s close to a win. Danger. 3. Rock Dove contested the same race and also seemed to be bogged down. She won well over a mile here on a good track prior to soft ground will be more to her liking. Give another chance. 13. She's So Savvy is coming along well in easier races but has a win over Kirwan's Lane from two starts back. If she handles the ground she's in the mix.
How to play it: Stockman WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Stockman wins at Randwick on May 23
|Race 6 - 3:10PM CALYX @ COOLMORE AUSTRALIA HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
10. Spaceboy will lead them as usual and coming back to 1000m suits. Looked the winner at Kensington but was swamped by Wandabaa, who has won again since. He could run them off their feet without surprising but at worst will give you a sight.
Dangers: 6. Bella Rosa is a lot better than her first-up run suggests, she was never a chance from the outside gate going back to last and that should be forgotten. Has a close second to Loving Gaby on her CV and expect her to improve. 1. Mansa Musa hasn't raced for a month since a tough first-up win at Canterbury. Yet to prove himself in the wet but has to be considered. 3. Ghostly comes through the same race as Spaceboy where he ran on from last into fourth. Will be finishing strongly again.
How to play it: Spaceboy WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Spaceboy runs second at Kensington on May 20
|Race 7 - 3:45PM RANVET HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
6. Threeood is bursting to win one in town and comes back a notch after chasing home Blazing Miss and Bound To Win at her past two on heavy at Randwick and Rosehill. Home track, perfect draw, J-Mac rides. Plenty to like about her chances.
Dangers: 9. Vitesse isn’t a noted first-up horse nor heavy tracker so to run a close third when resuming on the heavy says she’s come back in good order. Might want 1400m or so to be at her best but good signs from that fresh effort and is in the mix. 13. Capri Of Tuffy raced well in solid city maidens before winning a Wyong maiden last prep. Not disgraced first-up at Kensington and the extra trip will be to her liking. Each-way claims at least. 7. Bollywood finished well to win at Gosford, and the runner-up there has since run well in town, then close up at Scone out to this trip. Has placed in the heavy and has each-way claims.
How to play it: Threeood WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Threeood runs second at Rosehill on May 30
|Race 8 - 4:20PM MICROPHONE @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
19. Lubuk is an each-way chance fresh in a tough race. He ran well twice at this track before a spell and his trials have had enough merit to say he can run well. Just the one win to date is the concern but worth a look from a soft gate.
Dangers: 1. Hit The Target ran them ragged at Bathurst in fast time then run down late in another quick run at Scone in mid-May. You know what you’ll get with him, he’ll go forward and is tough and could easily be too good. 10. Jetski is painful to follow but this is the sort of race he could be dangerous in if they get along. Big run two back at this track then ran on without threatening on a heavy at Canterbury. Rather include him than be against him in the last leg of a quaddie. 4. Boomtown Rat is first-up off a wide gate but is trialling well and generally fires when fresh. Likely to settle back and come with one run at them and he's worth keeping an eye on.
How to play it: Lubuk E/W ($10 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Lubuk runs fourth in a Canterbury trial on May 29