By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Monday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM TAB HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Special Snap looks a good each-way chance first-up since a strong maiden win here back in July. Plenty to like about her trial on this track a couple of weeks ago in open company and she has the speed to offset the barrier and be in the firing line. Go well.
Dangers: 5. Rotator has been costly and was no match for Special Snap in that race here in July. Trialled without ear muffs and they are off for race day so if that makes a difference she’s right in the race. 2. Catwalk showed plenty of promise in her first preparation with a city win in June. First trial was early August then trialled late September so maybe an issue there? Keep safe. 7. Mirra Vision looked good winning on debut and running up to her trial wins. Must be respected here.
How to play it: Special Snap E/W ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Special Snap runs fourth in a Warwick Farm trial on September 24
|Race 2 - 2:00PM BOWERMANS OFFICE FURNITURE PLATE (1600 METRES)|
9. Aspect Ratio gave a huge sight in the Ming Dynasty at G3 level then outclassed in the Tea Rose behind the best fillies around. Seems to be more versatile than many of her dangers here and while there are dangers she has a good chance to break through.
Dangers: 6. Relucent couldn’t reel in the first two at his Sydney debut but did work home well. Doesn’t need to improve a lot to be in the finish, but will get back and rely on tempo and traffic to get home. 2. Kirwan’s Lane hit the line well at Canterbury at his second start then a bit flat at Kembla when favourite. Drawn to get a nice run and improvement won’t surprise. 5. Pincer has been competitive in both starts to date at Goulburn and races on the pace. Could give a sight here.
How to play it: Ascpect Ratio WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Aspect Ratio runs second in the Ming Dynasty at Rosehill on August 31
|Race 3 – 2.35PM KIA HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
3. Lilith is probably not the best horse in the race but she is consistent and has the tactical ability that could be key here. Too good from the back at Newcastle before racing wide throughout at Canterbury. She kept coming and from a good gate with Nash on board has a big chance.
Dangers: 1. Into The Abyss has won one from 15 but she’s performed in much better company. Fair effort in the Tibbie last time but in the small field she’ll get her chance to finish off. If she’s going well enough she can win. 7. Keiai Tsubaki is the likely leader and while she’s probably not up to these getting a soft lead could see her hold on for a placing. She’s in top form with successive wins at Hawkesbury so has that going for her. 2. Our Winnie doesn't always have the best of luck and and she resumes after a Randwick placing back in August. Has trialled and while she can take a run to hit her straps a place isn't out of the question.
How to play it: Lilith WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & EVens: ODDS.
Lilith runs second at Canterbury on September 11
|Race 4 – 3.10PM VINERY STALLIONS HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
7. Tricky Gal will probably concede a start but she’s a promising mare who should be unbeaten having failed narrowly on a heavy track off a six week break. Too strong at Newcastle last time and expect her to be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 5. Erno is such an honest galloper and he toughed it out on a heavy track here last time to score, and was pulling away on the line. Mile shouldn’t be an issue for him and he’ll be right in the finish again. 2. Falcon Island will likely lead and he gave a big sight at Canterbury third-up from a year off but was just run down late. At peak now and if he gets some control can take catching. 1. Angel Of Heaven was scratched from Saturday to run here and she was solid first-up at Rosehill though safely held. Fitter and extra 100m helps. Expect she’ll be fitter and more than capable of winning.
How to play it: Tricky Gal WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Tricky Gal wins at Newcastle on September 21
|Race 5 – 3.45PM IRON JACK HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. Easy Eddie is the best horse in the race and while he doesn’t have a great first-up record it’s not terrible and he’s well placed. Looked good winning his second trial and if he doesn’t win he’ll be right in the finish. Read trainer Joe Pride's comments here.
Dangers:3. Multaja is the logical danger first-up since the G1 Tatt’s Tiara in June. She’s had two quiet trials and goes well fresh. The 1000m might be a tough short of her best but she’ll be charging. 6. Charge is a very hard horse to back with any confidence but his first-up run at Newcastle was a total forgive after he bungled the start. Trialled since and if he leads he could give some cheek. 4. Akasaki finished strongly under 61kg to score in lesser company at Newcastle first-up but is an honest country sprinter who is capable of showing up.
How to play it: Easy Eddie WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Easy Eddie wins a trial at Warwick Farm on September 24
|Race 6 - 4:20PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (2130 METRES)|
3. Fairlight should be a big improver on his first-up run here on a heavy track almost a month ago. He had 61kg there and did make some late ground so back onto a firmer track he should be competitive on what he showed last time in.
Dangers: 6. Kentucky Diva didn’t have a lot of luck first-up then improved nicely into a placing at Canterbury up to 1900m. Lightly raced mare who might need a touch of luck but is getting close to a peak performance. 9. Maybach is only coming off a maiden win but he might get a nice time of it up in front and could give a bit of cheek. Another inexperienced galloper with some upside worth considering. 5. Bajan Gold was in the market at Canterbury last start and was plain at best beating just a couple home. Capable on his day so include in the chances.
How to play it: Fairlight E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Fairlight runs fourth at Warwick Farm on September 18
|Race 7 - 4:55PM JUSTIFY @ COOLMORE AUSTRALIA HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
11. Napoleon Solo is well worth a look first-up despite his fresh record looking so-so on paper. Fresh last time in he was beaten less than a length by Fasika in Listed company and a run like that would see him go close. Nice trial recently, 1400m suits, should run well.
Dangers: 1. Cuba is foolproof here, he’ll come across from the outside gate and either lead or sit up outside. He’s in super form with wins here and at Randwick and still gets in okay with the claim. Hard to beat. 7. Final Award was well beaten by Cuba at Randwick but he is better than that. Never in the hunt there but drawn nicely and onto a firmer track his best form sees him very competitive. 4. Master Ash will also relish getting back onto a good to soft track after not appreciating the soft 7 at Randwick in the same race. Showed enough fresh to give him another chance.
How to play it: Napoleon Solo E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Napoleon Solo runs second in a Randwick trial on September 27
|Race 8 - 5:30PM FROSTED @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
1. Bergen resumes with a couple of nice trials under his belt and with a record of a promising horse. Won his first three starts at 1300m then up to a mile and only just touched out back in May. Drawn well and only a couple of kilos over the limit after the claim. Big chance.
Dangers: 13. Sakura ran on well at Canterbury then got a long way back when favourite at Hawkesbury and charged home to just miss. Blinkers go on here and while drawn wide there’s only one turn and she’s a threat again. 12. Dunbrody Power is another get back horse who worked her way through the field to score at Canterbury just over a week ago. Racing consistently and will be running on as usual. 3. Foreign Territory has his first run for Bjorn Baker here and looked good winning his latest trial a couple of weeks back. Better known over a mile or so but keep safe, he could sprint well fresh.
How to play it: Bergen WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Bergen runs second in a trial at Randwick on September 27