By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Monday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:20PM DRINKWISE PLATE (1100 METRES)|
9. Quiet Riot has taken a bit of time to make it to the track but he’s been hard to miss in his two recent trial wins. No concern with the outside gate, it’s a straight run and J-Mac rides. If he runs up to his trials he’ll be winning.
Dangers: 2. All Time Legend wouldn’t have stood out at all in his latest trial running second last behind Penang but he’s a big watch here as he wasn’t out there to do anything other than get some exercise. Drawn one and has Kerrin McEvoy to ride. 7. Hulk is an 11 start maiden with seven minor placings including his surging second in the Magic Millions maiden first-up. Second in all four runs at the Farm, he can win but he’s had a few chances. 6. Gunfighter trialled quite well prior to his debut at Canterbury where he was a drifter and ran on okay, striking some trouble late. Back to the trials again and if there’s an upset he wouldn’t shock.
How to play it: Quiet Riot WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Quiet Riot wins a trial at Warwick Farm on January 21
|Race 2 - 1:55PM MORE THAN READY @ VINERY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
7. Chenin Blanc is ready to step up in distance after two runs at 1400m and improved nicely into her second run here a couple of weeks ago. Found the line nicely there and while stepping out of maiden company she’s close to a win and is good each-way chance.
Dangers: 4. Money Magic will be right on the speed here and showed fight when run down at Kembla after leading. Should lead or sit handy and she’ll fight when challenged. 6. Satin Rain had good support second-up when 1000m up to 1550m and was a bit flat trying to chase but was in a bunch around the placings at the finish. Better for that, might be slightly unders but has to be considered. 1. Duneagle enjoyed a nice run first-up at Wyong and while he was a bit wayward in the straight he did a good job to win. Shapes as though a mile will suit and he’s in the mix.
How to play it: Chenin Blanc E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Chenin Blanc runs fourth at Warwick Farm on January 15
|Race 3 – 2.30PM RANVET PLATE (1100 METRES)|
5. Penang promised a bit in her first preparation though beaten favourite at both starts. She might have gone up a notch based on her two trials this time in, she looked a coming winner taking out the latest. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 3. Juan Diva had some support on debut and did a bit of work early before landing outside the lead. Boxed on well in what could be a strong maiden from here on January 8 and open to improvement. 9. Twice As Special is a filly at odds who showed a bit in her trials before her first two runs back in August. Latest trial was a quiet one, drawn well and wouldn’t surprise if she does something. 10. Ultimate Thinker only beat one home in her latest trial but she hit the line full of running. Well bred and is another who could get into the finish at a price on debut.
How to play it: Penang WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Penang wins a trial at Randwick on January 9
|Race 4 – 3.05PM TAB HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
7. Private Thoughts had to a lot of chasing in a similar race last start but kept coming to get very close on the line. Should enjoy a nice run behind the speed here and drops 2kg after the claim. Racing well and is sure to be competitive.
Dangers: 5. Deference is trialling up well for a good first-up run as a gelding. His form is a bit mixed, he’s looked very good on occasion and battled away in others. He’s generally pressed forward in his races which could be problematic here but with the right run he can win. 2. Omar races best at this trip and he was far from disgraced in a much stronger event when resuming behind Splintex at Randwick. Will be up on the speed and has to be considered. 9. Iconic Star has won three from six, all three wins in the country so this is a class rise but she was too quick at Taree first-up when favourite. Interesting to see if she measures up.
How to play it: Private Thoughts WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Private Thoughts runs second at Warwick Farm on January 15
|Race 5 – 3.40PM AUSTRALIA DAY CUP (2400 METRES)|
2. Morton’s Fork is racing so well at the moment and was strong at his only 2400m attempt last month, with the form holding up pretty well. Tried hard behind a handy type at Eagle Farm last start and should be in the finish of this. Read trainer Richard Litt's comments here.
Dangers:4. Mr Garcia looks to be getting close to a win and while he hasn’t been tested at 2400m he is a big threat. Worked home well behind Luvaluva at his fourth run back so should be ready to peak. 3. Taikomochi controlled the speed in front but was no match for Luvaluva in that January Cup. He will lead here too and if he’s allowed to dictate he could be hard to run down. Small query at 2400m. 1. Azuro won at 3200m in November then six weeks between runs and he was narrowly beaten at 2800m at Flemington. Comes back further in trip here but is a strong stayer and shouldn’t be left out.
How to play it: Morton’s Fork E/W ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Morton’s Fork wins at Randwick on December 14
|Race 6 - 4:20PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
5. Aim For Perfection has no excuses here in a race that looks more than suitable for her after two runs back. Run off her feet when resuming then last time not convinced she’s a real wet tracker and she worked home without threatening into third. Dry track, 1400m, third-up she’s entitled to go close.
Dangers: 4. Positive Peace was right on the speed when resuming and was run down late by a promising one in Heart Of The Oak. Unbeaten second-up and drawn nicely. Should run well again. 8. Betty Blooms is a tough on pacer who was only reeled in in the last few strides at Warwick Farm when resuming. Will roll forward again and is an each-way chance as usual. 9. All Saints’ Eve started $51 when winning over this course second-up but it was a strong win and looked to be no fluke about it. More depth here certainly but would rather include than dismiss.
How to play it: Aim For Perfection WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Aim For Perfection runs third at Rosehill on January 18
|Race 7 - 5:00PM BISLEY WORKWEAR HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
6. Island Missile trialled really well then was heavily backed when he resumed at Canterbury but was never really a threat after going back to last. Second-up, 1400m with blinkers on are all pluses and he’s way over the odds. Each-way chance.
Dangers: 12. Anubis had a bit of support first-up and attacked the line quite well for a closing third over 1200m here a couple of weeks ago. Fitter and extra 200m a plus so he’s right in the mix. 2. Through The Cracks charged late at Gosford then well back here on January 8 before working home well into third behind Chat. Would probably prefer him not drawn the one but with a bit of luck can figure in the finish. 10. Mandela is very costly but he had excuses first-up then very poor at the Gold Coast. Back in class a bit here, drawn well and picks up Tom Marquand. Take on trust but an improved showing is on the cards.
How to play it: Island Missile E/W ($15 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Island Missile’s first-up run at Canterbury on January 3
|Race 8 - 5:40PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
4. Lady Demi showed she’s on track for the Country Championships with a slashing first-up second in a Highway at Randwick two weeks ago where she clocked the fastest last 600m of 34.45 and final 200m of 11.61 (Punter's Intelligence), more than two lengths quicker than anything else in the race. Stays at 1200m but looks to be enough speed for her to be a factor. Expect her to be charging home.
Dangers: 1. Crafty Tycoon is another who would appreciate a bit of pressure up front and he’s racing consistently at this level. Game winner at Kensington before running on as usual in a similar race to this on January 15. Go well again. 2. Herzegovina found 1000m too short when resuming here but did find the line nicely so the step up in trip is in his favour. Capable on his day and drawn to be a bit closer up in trip. Has a case. 6. Riverside’s Cash is coming through the grades well and was a strong all the way winner at Gosford when favourite third-up. Tougher test here but will be forward and could measure up without surprising.
How to play it: Lady Demi E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lady Demi runs second at Randwick on January 11