By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Monday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a soft to heavy track.
|Race 1 – 12:45PM EASTER MONDAY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
4. Achiever was no match for Rock My Wand on debut at Rosehill but his effort had plenty of merit in very trying conditions as he kept chasing. Can only be better for it and any improvement in the track is a plus for him.
Dangers: 3. Major Murphy was strong late in the race as he reeled in the leaders at Wyong on debut. Can’t see the extra 100m being any issue and he’s sure to be hard to hold out. 1. Spokesman ran well on debut behind Prague then broke through with an all the way win at Canterbury in a small field. Not tested in winning his recent trial, probably goes forward from the outside and is right in this. 9. Cordyceps Miracle debuted with a fair effort in the same race as Spokesman ran third behind Prague. Worked home pretty well in his second trial and wouldn’t surprise to see him improve sharply.
How to play it: Achiever E/W ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Achiever runs second at Rosehill on April 1
|Race 2 - 1:20PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS PLATE (1300 METRES)|
7. Duenna didn’t see any daylight until the race was all over first-up and she rushed home for an unlucky fourth, running 11.96 (Punter's Intelligence) for her last 200m. Wide gate looks to suit her here with one modest turn to negotiate and gets a good chance to atone.
Dangers: 13. Stolen Jade wins in a couple more hops at Gosford first-up in a nice first-up effort. She’ll only be better with the extra 200m of this race and should be winning one soon this preparation. 14. Thinking Cap caught the eye in the same race as Duenna, though wasn’t unlucky, running fifth and shouldn’t be underestimated. 4. Magnate was also close up in that race at Kensington, coming back in trip, and is in the mix while stablemate 6. Archanna is worth keeping safe on debut for the same stable.
How to play it: Duenna WIN ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Duenna runs fourth at Kensington on March 18
|Race 3 – 1.55PM SCHWEPPES HANDICAP (2130 METRES)|
6. Attorney was never in the race in the Albury Cup and that should be overlooked. Was shaping up well before that and looked back on track in a trial. Blinkers go on and the smaller field is a plus. Can bounce back.
Dangers: 7. Monsieur Sisu ran out of his skin when out to 2400m on a good track here a couple of weeks ago and seems better suited back slightly in trip and onto a wet track. Needs another win but has conditions to suit. 4. Kaapfever backs up after running a nice fourth over a mile on Wednesday and it showed he’s looking for more ground now. Likes the wet, likes the track and is dangerous now he’s beyond 2000m. 2. White Boots seemed to battle with 62kg in the Wellington Cup so worth forgiving that. Generally a consistent type at this level and is an each-way chance.
How to play it: Attorney WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Attorney runs fourth in a trial at Warwick Farm on April 3
|Race 4 – 2.30PM VINERY STALLIONS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
7. All Time Legend looked smart winning his maiden at start two then hard in the market and didn’t have the luck at a vital stage behind Zebrowski. That form is pretty strong now and he’s been back to the trials for a confidence boost. Should run well.
Dangers: 3. Herzegovina found himself a lot further back than usual in the Wild Card at Muswellbrook but hit the line nicely. Solid at Tamworth before that and placed in a similar class to this in January. Yet to try a mile but respect. 4. Mocambo hasn’t raced for a month but he was strong late when resuming at 1400m at Kembla in what has been a good form race. Sure to be running on strongly again. 5. Accountability is the query runner. Always well back at his Australian debut at Sandown but smaller field here so he'll have the chance to keep in touch.
How to play it: All Time Legend WIN ($1.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
All Time Legend runs fifth at Kensington on March 18
|Race 5 – 3.05PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
4. Fritz’s Factor is a backmarker so needs the breaks but her form is pretty solid if she gets them. Has finished close up in a couple of strong Country Championships heats and was competitive in town before that. Good each-way chance.
Dangers: 1. Slow Burn clearly didn’t come up last preparation but her best form measures right up. Liked her trial behind Nature Strip and Santa Ana Lane and while she has a big weight she could be back in business, if she is she’s in the mix. 3. Military Magic has done nothing wrong with three wins from as many start so is hard to knock. Has been scratched once or twice lately so that explains a month between trials. Can’t leave out. 8. Dazzling Damsel impressed first-up at Kensington then thrown in the deep end in G3 company and while no match she wasn’t disgraced. Could easily bounce back.
How to play it: Fritz’s Factor E/W ($11 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Fritz’s Factor runs fourth at Muswellbrook on March 22
|Race 6 - 3:40PM DARLEY STALLIONS HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
You need to be brave but 4. Word For Word gets another chance to break through fresh after a mix of unlucky and disappointing efforts last prep. Recent trial solid, she should have won first-up last time and suited with a draw where she can stay in the clear.
Dangers: 7. Chat is capable on a wet track and was too strong over this course a couple of weeks ago. Should be right on the speed as usual and if he gets any favours will take running down. 10. Pinvincible suffered his first defeat chasing home Grand Piano at Kensington and that was a month between runs. Somewhat similar break into this and hard to leave him out. 8. Adana went to the paddock a winner over 1800m and returns at a suitable trip. Typically easy trial leading in and wouldn't surprise to see him show up on a wet track.
How to play it: Word For Word E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Word For Word runs third in a Rosehill trial on April 6
|Race 7 - 4:20PM TAB VENUE MODE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. Romantic Whisper took control early at Hawkesbury second-up and put a big space on them. Up and comer who might well get some favours on the pace again and if that’s the case she will be hard to catch.
Dangers: 4. Earth Song broke the maiden in town in November then arrived in time first-up at Wyong when a drifter in betting. Proven around the trip and given the drift first-up you can expect her to be fitter. Danger. 5. Amitto is a very competitive type, beaten favourite behind Icebath before atoning at Newcastle out to a mile. Not a lot harder here and she’s one of the main chances. 1. Lady Cuvee hit the line pretty well when resuming at Kensington a month ago. Tends to run well second-up and she could place here.
How to play it: Romantic Whisper E/W ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Romantic Whisper wins at Hawkesbury on April 4
|Race 8 - 5:00PM TAB HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
11. Zakat is a real up and comer and you had to like the way he’s chased down the leaders to win both runs back, one on wet and one on dry. Flying and only has to hold form to be right in the finish again.
Dangers: 6. Epic Dan won on a heavy track here three starts ago and backs up after another game effort in the heavy on Wednesday. Up to 1300m but has won at the trip and you can’t leave him out when it’s wet on his home track. 14. Kavalmo has promised more than he’s delivered to date but if he puts it together has a show. Ran on well without threatening behind Chat here second-up, each-way hopes. 8. Beach Baby hasn’t raced since a win at Goulburn a month ago where he did the job well. Ticked over with a trial since then and while he’s never raced on a heavy track he bears close watching.
How to play it: Zakat WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Zakat wins at Kembla Grange on March 21