By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Kensington track meeting at Randwick. Selections based on a Soft track.
|Race 1 – 1:15PM SYDNEY SPRING RACING HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
Hard to split the two favourites but leaning towards 2. So Taken who I’ve been with all preparation. She seems a filly that needs her run perfectly times and she probably hit the front too early at Rosehill a few weeks ago when just edged out on the line. Big gap to third says there’s plenty of merit in the run. She should handle the ground and the 2kg off is a plus. Go well.
Dangers: 3. Jen Rules is a very, very big danger coming back to three-year-olds after a game first-up effort at Warwick Farm a month ago. She did sit wide, though that’s not such a big deal from the 1200m start there, and have her chance to win but she’ll be fitter. She’s trialled well in the wet and won on debut on a heavy but didn’t look comfortable. Any improvement in the track makes her even more dangerous. 4. Ritmico was completely unwanted in the betting on debut but won like a nice horse at Newcastle. The two favourites are smart so if he’s good enough to run over them then he might be above average. 5. Gumshoe was narrowly beaten at his only start off a wide gate at Port Macquarie behind the horse who finished runner-up to Ritmico a week earlier. That ties him in with some chance in the small field.
How to play it: Exacta 2 & 3.
So Taken is run down near the line at Rosehill on September 26
|Race 2 - 1:50PM VANCOUVER@COOLMORE AUSTRALIA HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Brazilica is bred to appreciate a bit more than the 1100m but she’s shown plenty of talent in her trials and is bred to get through the wet ground. In fact it might help her over the short trip. Liked the way she found the line after a bit of a shake up in her latest trial and if she takes that to the races will be hard to beat.
Dangers: 2. Secret Legend trialled well on a wet track back in March then returned to win a 740m heat at Randwick a month ago. Raced on the pace in that trial and he can give a good account. 3. Hostwin Supreme started well in the market on debut at the Farm and ran last but may have had excuses after he was found to have an elevated white cell count. He did trial well prior so if all is in order you’d expect him to show something. Of the others 5. Fight For Love has trialled twice and not really stood out but in the small field could show something.
How to play it: Brazilica WIN ($1.85 TAB Fixed Odds).
Brazilica wins her latest trial at Rosehill on October 2
|Race 3 – 2:25PM BOWERMANS OFFICE FURNITURE HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
2. Savacool is ready to win now after two excellent runs back from a spell and has found a race where, all things being equal, she should prove too good. She’s simply given away too much start in her two runs back but found the line strongly, easily running the fastest last 600m of 34.01 (Punters Intel) and getting out to this sort of trip with some give in the ground is right up her alley. Entitled to round them up.
Dangers: 3. Our Winnie is pretty hard to knock having won five in a row on a variety of surfaces. She’s also shown the ability to race handy and also settle back. Toughest test but more than earned a shot at it. 4. Miss Shanti has run well without really standing out in her two starts this time in and you’d think she’s entitled to fire up now. Safely held but worked home okay behind Girl Tuesday last time and so long as the track isn’t bottomless she’s in the mix. 8. O’Lordy can be underestimated at times and she backs up after a game second at the Farm last week on a very heavy track. She hasn’t won for a while but is at least an each-way chance.
How to play it: Savacool WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Savacool finishes off strongly to run second at Randwick on October 1
|Race 4 – 3.00PM ATC FAREWELLS ENCOSTA DE LAGO HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
8. Cliff seems to tick all the boxes here with the moisture in the track on the back up from quite a dominant win at the Farm last week. Sat handy, relished the ground and proved far too good, this isn’t any harder and he should again get the perfect run. Should be right in the finish again.
Dangers: 2. Sky Boy has been excellent in two runs back from a long break and he’s definitely close to a win. Yet to be really proven in the wet but he does have a fourth to Kaonic on a soft 7 against his name over a similar trip. Hard to beat. 3. Volpe shrugged off a failure at Rosehill two starts ago to hit the line with plenty of purpose there on September 26. An improving track would be in his favour but he does also like a bit of the sting out of the ground. He’s the sort of horse you always have to throw in the multiples. 6. Palmateer was always in the right spot and couldn’t have posted a softer win that last time out at Warwick Farm. That was on a good track and she’s yet to be really proven in the wet but she’s in peak condition and racing well so if she’s going to handle it then she has her chance.
How to play it: Cliff E/W ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
Cliff proves far too strong at Warwick Farm on October 10
|Race 5 – 3.35PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
1. Sexy Eyes has a couple of things against her but she’s the best horse in the race and clearly the one to beat. She probably just found 1100m too sharp first-up though she did loom up to win. Down in class and back against the mares here and with the claim she’s not badly treated at the weights. No big concerns on a wet track and she’s entitled to go close.
Dangers: 11. Dolly’s Due has been excellent in her two city starts since a win at Wagga and just bumped into a promising one when runner-up at Warwick Farm two weeks ago. Similar grade, drawn well again and handles all conditions. Good chance. 8. High Low Bet is worth keeping safe first-up and back in Sydney after a fair campaign in Melbourne in the autumn. Trialled okay and she doesn’t mind some give in the track. Could surprise. 4. Nai’a was tracking well this time in with a second-up win then she failed badly at Warwick Farm two weeks ago. That was a strange one as she appeared ideally placed at the mile third-up but did pull up lame. Back in trip but sure to be running on strongly.
How to play it: Sexy Eyes WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds).
Sexy Eyes resumes with a close second at Warwick Farm on October 3
|Race 6 - 4:15PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
2. Girl Tuesday is going to start a very short priced favourite and rightly so as she looks a very smart mare in the making. The form out of her easy Rosehill win a few weeks ago has been good and she will relish the step up in distance. With even luck she should continue on her winning way.
Dangers: 7. Keep Up is way over the odds considering he started favourite in a Saturday race at Randwick last start. Sure he ran last but his form prior to that was suggesting he’s ready to win a race with a nice second to High Bridge who then ran well at G1. Well worth another chance. 3. Gamblestown hasn’t won for a while but he is hitting the line in good style of late just behind the placings and while he’s unlikely to be troubling the favourite he’s capable of running into a placing at odds. 10. Makdanife has been disappointing on the whole but his best efforts have tended to be when there's some give in the track. Not beaten too far here last time and is one of the place chances.
How to play it: Girl Tuesday WIN ($1.55 TAB Fixed Odds).
Girl Tuesday makes it three from three at Rosehill on September 26
|Race 7 - 4:55PM TAB.COM.AU HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
4. Schubert was particularly unlucky not to be right in the finish when he resumed at Warwick Farm two weeks ago, beaten only a length and held up for a run on a couple of occasions. Punters Intel shows he ran a solid 33.94 for his last 600m, third fastest of the race. Fitter for that, the extra trip is a plus and so long as the track isn’t in the very heavy range he looks a very good each-way chance at least.
Dangers: 8. Deity is enjoying an excellent preparation and she came with a well timed run to win easily in mares company, suggesting the extra 100m won’t be a concern. Hard to ignore. 2. Chapelco will do his usual thing up on the speed and he showed two starts ago a wet track isn’t an issue for him. He might have a friend or two up front here but if he gets any kind of control he will be hard to run down. 12. Gitan ran on without threatening behind Signore Fox on this track off a seven week break. He enjoys some give in the ground and is always an each-way chance.
How to play it: Schubert E/W ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Schubert finishes a close fifth at Warwick Farm on October 3
|Race 8 - 5:35PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
Luck deserted 2. And So It Goes when she resumed at this track earlier this month, she blew the start and was held up for runs but still managed to finish 1.4 lengths from the winner. An extra 100m is in her favour and she doesn’t mind some give in the ground. So long as she can get away with them this time she should be hard to beat.
Dangers: 5. Regimen hasn’t really proven herself in the wet as yet but she hasn’t had a lot of exposure. Nice trial win recently and she does tend to run well fresh. Worth including in the main chances. 1. Let’s Party Marty is a big watch first-up coming off some consistent form in Brisbane. Only missed a place once in eight starts and the claim is a big plus. Watch the market for stable confidence and follow accordingly. 6. Discussions led them up and battled on pretty well first-up and has scope for improvement. All wins are at 1200m so the extra trip a plus. Has a show.
How to play it: And So It Goes E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
And So It Goes finishes an unlucky fourth at Randwick on October 1