By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Kensington meeting at Randwick. Selections based on a good to soft track.
|Race 1 – 2:20PM ASTERN @ DARLEY PLATE (1100 METRES)|
7. Kaakit Akit looks to be one of those professional on-pace types from the Waterhouse/Bott yard and she posted a comfortable trial win two weeks ago with a bit in hand. Her dam was a handy type and effective in soft ground, expect her to run well.
Dangers: 4. Tommy Gold had support in betting on debut back on Everest Day but had a wide run and just weakened late. He did loom early in the straight as a winning chance and the run was sound. Fitter for a quiet recent trial, while drawn wide he is in the mix. 5. Volterra did plenty of chasing at his only start back in November behind Hinchbeast, where he started an odds-on favourite. Trialled alongside Tommy Gold last week. Has claims but wonder if that’s the right form from the spring. 10. Pressita has trialled against some handy fillies like Ticket To Ride and Dame Giselle, running a close second to the latter in her latest trial. Drawn well and could show up.
How to play it: Kaakit Akit WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Kaakit Akit wins a trial at Randwick on January 23
|Race 2 – 2:55PM PLUCK @ VINERY PLATE (1100 METRES)|
6. Seraglio was a real standout at the Warwick Farm trials a couple of weeks ago where she sat off them and swept down the outside to score easily. Nicely bred filly in a race where there looks to be a bit of tempo and expecting her to be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 8. You Rang hasn’t raced since July where she was cut down in the last stride at Kembla over 1000m when a well supported favourite. Easy trial winner recently, she’ll be on the pace and could easily get away with it. 7. Sweeping Statement has been around the mark recently without winning. Endured a tough run at Warwick Farm in her latest and was beaten by a couple of nice types in her previous two. Gets another chance. 3. Our Fraulein was sent out an odds-on favourite first-up at Canterbury on a soft 7 and ran on without really threatening. Drawn well and a firmer track might suit. Has to be included.
How to play it: Seraglio WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Seraglio wins a Warwick Farm trial on January 21
|Race 3 – 3:30PM BISLEY WORKWEAR HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Sea Of Life gets his chance to post a win after three placings from as many starts. Shuffled out to last at a crucial time first-up but charged from the back to go down in a photo. Shapes as 1400m will suit and chance to go one better. Read jockey Tom Marquand's comments here.
Dangers: 5. Kinship ran a super race on debut then had good support at Warwick Farm at start two and was a little flat but still kept coming beaten 2.5 lengths. Might want a bit further but at the price entitled to another chance. 2. California August found himself in an unfortunate position in the same race as Kinship and worked through the field to run into second without looking the winner at any stage. Consistent type and is one of the chances again. 6. Dancing Gidget followed the winner in the run but was no match for Best Stone at Canterbury first-up though a big gap to third. Wide gate means she might be ridden negatively here – check for tactics announcements – but fitter and can’t leave out.
How to play it: Sea Of Life WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Sea Of Life runs second at Canterbury on January 22
|Race 4 – 4:05PM TAB VENUE MODE HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
2. Pumpkin Pie hasn’t won for three years, which is a concern, but she won’t know herself in this company. Kept coming when a close third at Randwick over a mile last time, steps out a bit further in trip and can’t see her getting a better chance if she can hold her form.
Dangers: 6. Austria has won once in 12 starts so is becoming a bit hard to catch herself and fair to say she’s had her chance in all three recent second placings. Winner had her back in the run last time and pounced, she can win but you’re taking a very short price. 1. Boomtown Rat ran fourth in the same race as Austria last time and he wasn’t disgraced after making a midrace move there, looking gone on the turn then strong again late. Reacted to a bit of pace to win at Warwick Farm before that. Not sure if he gets it here but a genuine winning chance. 5. De Valera was an easy Canterbury winner two starts back then ran on fairly from well back over the same course last time, with Austria running second. Rarely runs a bad race so has to be considered.
How to play it: Pumpkin Pie WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Pumpkin Pie runs third at Randwick on January 25
|Race 5 – 4:40PM HEINEKEN 3 HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
2. Positive Peace will be one of the shortest priced favourites of the day and it’s hard to go around her in a race she looks to control. Far too good leading all the way at Warwick Farm second-up, should lead here and she’s the one they have to get past.
Dangers: 1. Welsh Legend disappointed first-up on a heavy track but maybe it was a bit too soon after an eye-catching trial four days earlier. Firmer track but one with a bit of give suit her, as does the class drop, the concerns are her second-up record and winning strike rate. But good enough on her best efforts. 3. Oksal finished strongly to win at Kembla last week and backs up into a tougher race but racing very well. Not disgraced at Canterbury two runs back on a leader’s track so don’t underestimate. 5. Brazilica has been largely disappointing since her promising first preparation. Freshened up since a battling sixth a month ago behind Helga and trialled last week. Minor claims on what she’s been showing.
How to play it: Positive Peace WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Positive Peace wins at Warwick Farm on January 27
|Race 6 – 5:15PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
8. Phoenix River has always shown talent and resumes having had the ultimate gear change. Explosive winner two starts back the did a good job running on from well back over this course two months ago. Nice trial in open company and if gelding has done the trick he can take holding out.
Dangers: 1. Black Magnum only failed once last prep and had excuses, he did win his first two starts in the campaign in good style on wet tracks. Held together winning his recent trial and with the sting out of the track he comes right into calculations. 2. Clear The Beach gave a big sight in front when run down late over this course a month ago. Will look to be on the speed again and this is no harder than his last couple. So stays in the mix. 3. Yitai Synergy ran them off their feet when winning at Warwick Farm over 1000m to make it two wins from her last three. Likely to look to lead again and has a show.
How to play it: Phoenix River E/W ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Phoenix River runs fourth in a trial at Randwick on January 23
|Race 7 – 5:50PM DAVALI THOROUGHBREDS HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
6. The Man backed up his tough first-up win (after two years off) with a game effort on a leader dominated track two weeks ago. Settled back and swung wide to make his run, so his work was cut out getting near the winner. Still a good performance, 1400m here suits and he should go close.
Dangers: 4. Bubbles Ball ran second on the same day as The Man after tracking the winner all the way but wasn’t able to get past. She’s been thereabouts but is collecting a concerning amount of second placings. Good chance to go one better. 10. Feather was ridden back when narrowly beaten in a fast run race here on January 1 then sat three wide on the speed and went down under a length last time. Drawn one and with even luck can be in the finish. 1. Sanctioned led most of the way when scoring a rare first-up win on the back of a nice trial. Drawn out here so probably has to work a bit but meets The Man on the same weight terms and has obviously come back well. So include again.
How to play it: The Man WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
The Man runs fourth to Sanctioned at Canterbury on January 22