By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Kensington meeting at Randwick. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 2:00PM KERMADEC @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
Taking the punt that 6. All Joy has some ability as it has appeared in her two trials leading into this debut. Both have been on heavy tracks and she has been kept together. In a race where outside the top weight it looks very open she should run well.
Dangers: 1. Still Single must have had a setback as she trialled in July then not again for more than two months. Hit the line nicely late in that second trial and she has the form on the board with a Group 2 second back in March. Logically the horse to beat. 7. Cubed was kept safe in the betting and fared quite well on debut at Kembla though safely held by the first two. Fitter and could be the improver. 5. Absolutely Panda’s is the other unknown filly in the race and she doesn’t seem to have trialled as well as All Joy but barrier one is a plus and if there’s some support she could run a cheeky race.
How to play it: All Joy E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
All Joy runs third in a trial at Rosehill on September 17
|Race 2 - 2:35PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE PLATE (1400 METRES)|
2. Brandenburg is bursting to win a race and his effort in defeat at Newcastle second-up was huge. Bumped into a smart one fresh then last time had to make a long run around them to be on the speed then kept fighting when headed and was coming again on the line. No doubt with an easier run he can take stopping.
Dangers: 6. Astralis ran up to her promising debut when she was claimed late after looking the winner at Canterbury three weeks ago. Did have her chance there but a month between runs so can only be fitter. Definite chance. 4. Hulk keeps bumping into one better and made it three straight seconds when back to 1100m and run down by Grand Piano. Not sure 1400m is any help to him but he is consistent and has drawn well so is right in this.
How to play it: Brandenburg WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Brandenburg runs second at Newcastle on September 21
|Race 3 – 3.10PM BIG SPORTS BREAKFAST HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
1. Terwilliker bounced back to form thanks to a midrace move from Travis Wolfgram here a month ago to win over this course. Don’t be surprised if similar tactics are employed if the tempo doesn’t suit and he could repeat the dose.
Dangers: 6. Kelvinside is racing well without winning and backs up after a close second at Canterbury last week at 1900m. First try at the trip and strike rate poor but he’s an each-way chance while in good form. 2. Breakdance had his chance when fourth behind Terwilliker two starts back then tried hard on a heavy track at Warwick Farm. One paced type who will be handy in the run and can feature somewhere in the finish. 3. Executive Chairman tried to lead all the way at Newcastle and was run down late. The scratching of the leader opens it up for him and he has to be considered.
How to play it: Terwilliker WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Terwilliker wins at Randwick on September 4
|Race 4 – 3.45PM VALE PROFESSOR HUTCHINS HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
1. Eugene’s Pick has put the writing on the wall for a win shortly with two excellent efforts in Saturday company. Luckless first-up then probably just a bit flat second-up before hitting the line with purpose again late, running the second fastest last 200m of 12.47 (Punter's Intelligence). Trip suits, down in class and well in with the claim. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 4. Miss Einstein caught the eye here second-up then proved far too good on a heavy track at Warwick Farm two weeks ago. Back on the dry here so the margin may be misleading but is one the major players. 5. Fast Talking is flying in easier company and he put them away in great style at Dubbo as an odds-on favourite by almost seven lengths. Has earned a shot and could easily measure up while in peak form. 7. The Promise has been thereabouts of late in Saturday company and will appreciate getting back onto a good track after her fourth at Rosehill a month ago. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Eugene’s Pick E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Eugene’s Pick runs fourth at Randwick on September 21
|Race 5 – 4.20PM GWS GIANTS HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
6. Beaufort Park is well worth another chance despite being beaten as favourite at Canterbury third-up. He’s back to 1400m here which should suit going on his excellent third at the Farm two runs back and the blinkers go on here. Should be in the finish.
Dangers: 3. Full Recognition was well ridden to beat Erno first-up then onto a heavy track he wasn’t nearly as comfortable and failed to beat one home. Overlook that, blinkers back on and drawn well. Big threat. 4. Regal Stage has the ability and he resumed with a strong win at Kembla in a Class 1 a few weeks back. Has placed in this grade before at his second-up run last time in so stays under notice. 7. Kaecilius produced an even effort when resuming behind Full Recognition and the 1400m will help his cause. On face value probably can’t turn the tables but expect him to be an improver.
How to play it: Beaufort Park E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Beaufort Park runs fifth at Canterbury on September 11
|Race 6 – 4.55PM JUSTIFY @ COOLMORE AUSTRALIA HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
11. All Cylinders has a very good each-way chance in a wide open race. Both runs back on this track have been good and he was held up for a run with 61.5kg last time behind Standout who has won a Listed race since. Down in weight, well drawn and with even luck should be thereabouts.
Dangers: 6. Broken Arrows just can’t seem to crack it for a win, left his run a bit too late when just missing at Hawkesbury second-up to make it five second placings on end. Gets back a bit and will be running on. 2. Up Trumpz hasn’t raced since winning at Warwick Farm five weeks ago but he’s an honest horse who has missed a place just once in his last seven, that was a fourth, and his next run will be The Kosciuszko so he’s expected to perform. Go well. Read trainer Joe Cleary's comments here. 3. Bare Naked Lady was right in the market and sat on the speed before battling on at Randwick first-up. Back a notch in class here, drawn well and stays on the same weight after the claim. Sure to run her usual honest race.
How to play it: All Cylinders E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
All Cylinders runs fourth at Randwick on September 4
|Race 7 - 5:30PM TAB HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
3. Sister Sledge looks to have come back in good order on her latest trial where she was in cruise mode. Touched out by Rock when resuming last prep then won a maiden by a huge space. Thrown into Group 3 company before a spell but this is suitable first-up and she’s the horse to beat.
Dangers: 5. Mayaaseh comes back to town after two confidence boosting wins in easier company. She was placed in the Gimcrack on debut this time last year so has the ability. Each-way. 9. Got Your Six was beaten as an odds-on favourite first-up then safely held when third on a heavy track at the Farm two weeks ago. Dry track suits and she could give a sight. 1. Lisdoonvarna ran well at this level first-up with a similar weight then shade disappointing up to Saturday grade. Can feature here.
How to play it: Sister Sledge WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Sister Sledge wins a Rosehill trial on September 17