By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Kensington meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 - 12:25PM VINERY STUD HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
6. Starman hasn’t been exposed in his two recent trials on heavy ground and he strode out nicely enough late at Canterbury a few weeks back in the latest. Market late some guide but expect him to run well.
Dangers: 12. Have Mercy has the wide gate to contend with but scratchings have helped and looked smart winning a Hawkesbury trial early last week. She’ll obviously need some luck but if she gets it she should feature. 8. Unico ran above market expectation on debut at Werribee in April. Returns here with a quiet trial and is worth keeping safe. 14. Perkova has had a few trials through the season and finally debuts here after the latest on July 9. Stable in form and if there's support she could show up.
How to play it: Starman WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Starman’s latest trial at Canterbury on July 2
|Race 2 - 1:00PM ADMIRE MARS AT ARROWFIELD HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
6. Jadida hasn’t raced since April when she bumped into a handy type at Kembla. No knock on both trials back and strikes a winnable race first-up. Any support would be encouraging but good chance.
Dangers: 2. Mount Fuji has been disappointing so far, he hasn’t raced since a beaten favourite at Canterbury in January where he had every chance. Trialled three times, take on trust but gets every hope with gate one and James McDonald. 3. Da Nang Star has been right in the market at both starts and made ground without threatening a runaway winner at Kembla last time. On the way up and has an each-way chance. 1. Fayerra is a real query first-up since the G1 Champagne Stakes in 2020. She’s shown plenty of ability and finished close up in some good races. Trialled okay and could show up.
How to play it: Jadida E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Jadida runs fourth in a trial at Hawkesbury on July 19
|Race 3 - 1:35PM RANVET HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
1. Shuffle Up is working up to a win, you have to like the way he’s racing and just couldn’t match the sprint of Mr Gee here last week. Draws well to run out the extra trip and should be in the finish.
Dangers: 5. Justitia is fitter for three runs back with big weights and closed strongly to place at Taree two weeks ago. Has won up to 2200m and could easily measure up. 12. Notabadharada mixes his distances and while his strike rate is poor he’s always running on and wouldn’t shock if he filled a placing here. 4. Terwilliker can mix form but better suited here than at the two miles on a heavy track last time. Has won at this track and distance too.
How to play it: Shuffle Up WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Shuffle Up runs second at Kensington on July 21
|Race 4 - 2:10PM DARLEY SUPPORTING CATWALK HANDICAP (1150 METRES)|
8. Sepoy Star couldn’t have been more impressive in her debut win at Kembla. This isn’t a big step up and has gate one, so should get a perfect run, and the leading rider is on board. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 2. Armatree is back as a gelding having not raced since December when a solid third behind Private Eye. Hit the line under no pressure in a Hawkesbury trial and is a definite chance. Read co-trainer Paul Snowden's comments here. 3. Cueillir backed up a somewhat surprise debut win with a super effort to round them up and win again at Gosford. Interesting to see how he shapes up on a good track but hard to knock him. 1. No Laughing Matter is racing well in this class and drops in weight after the claim on her second at Canterbury two weeks ago where she led. Yet to win on a good track but otherwise has to be respected.
How to play it: Sepoy Star E/W ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Sepoy Star wins at Kembla on July 8
|Race 5 - 2:45PM CHINA HORSE CLUB HANDICAP (1150 METRES)|
3. Soami resumed with an upset win at Kembla then backed it up with a fast closing second at Canterbury in an on pace dominated race. Good track form is sound, draws well and this looks a good race for him.
Dangers: 2. Brazen Gem has been battling a little on the wet tracks this time in so she can be a big improver on top of the ground with barrier one. Capable of turning it around. 8. Explosive Truth is starting to find himself a bit and was dominant leading all the way at Kembla off a month’s gap. Expect he’ll be forward and can take catching. 6. Miss Fox has been a little disappointing of late but her best efforts would have her right in the mix.
How to play it: Soami WIN ($2.10 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Soami runs second at Canterbury on July 14
|Race 6 - 3:20PM SKY RACING HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
6. Scenic Warrior resumed with a dominant performance to come from well off the pace and win at Canterbury two weeks ago. Not too many made ground to win that day. Both wins on heavy but gets a chance to show he can be effective on top of the ground.
Dangers: 5. Matterhorn had a nice run in front in small field and was never threatened at any stage. Might have to do a bit more work here from the outside and back onto a good track but lightly raced and a definite chance. 8. Bob’s Your Uncle had excuses at Canterbury last time but hasn’t been racing badly overall and could be a big improver on a good track and with a soft gate. 1. Matowatakpe wasn’t a factor out to a mile at Randwick last time but back in class and had been finding the line strongly before that. Sure to be running on as usual.
How to play it: Scenic Warrior E/W ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Scenic Warrior wins at Canterbury on July 14
|Race 7 - 3:55PM HEINEKEN HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
6. Nelspruit backs up after a sound third over this course last week where he sat just off them and tried hard. Similar contest and draws to get a perfect run here. Sure to be competitive again.
Dangers: 3. Gemmahra is usually very consistent up on the pace so it might pay to overlook her last start failure in a Midway at Randwick. Four of her five wins have been on good tracks so from a handy gate can give a sight. 2. Miss Einstein produced a big finish against the pattern to win at Canterbury two weeks ago on a heavy track. Good track and wide gate are against her but still commands some respect. 1. Invinciano backs up after leading and battling into forth over 1300m here last week. Capable on her day and if she gets the right run has a show.
How to play it: Nelspruit WIN ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Nelspruit runs third at Kensington on July 21
|Race 8 - 4:30PM TAB HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
2. Exotic Ruby looks hard to beat back in class and back onto a good track. Game behind Expat two runs back then fair at Randwick on a heavy. Draws perfectly, finds James McDonald and is entitled to fire.
Dangers: 9. Silent Tryst found the line late when resuming at Hawkesbury and has been back to the trials for some extra fitness. Blinkers go on and while up in class she’s shown some promise and could measure up. 5. Rosa Moyessi is flying at the moment and held off a smart type when scoring narrowly here three weeks ago. Wide gate but generally rolls forward and is a definite chance. 6. Fortune Seeker gave a good sight first-up then failed on a heavy track at Randwick up in class. Won at this track and distance back in October on a good track so every reason to think she can improve.
How to play it: Exotic Ruby WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Exotic Ruby runs third at Rosehill on July 3