By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Kensington meeting at Randwick. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 2:20PM STUD & STABLE STAFF AWARDS PLATE (1100 METRES)|
10. Trifaccia shaped up very well in her recent trial behind Collier Bay, who has run well since in a strong 2yo race, hitting the line from back in the field into second over 735m. Has drawn wide but that may not be a disadvantage, bred to be handy and sure to take holding out.
Dangers: 11. Syracuse has the race experience from a solid fourth behind Hilal here two weeks ago and she is sure to be better for that. James McDonald staying with her is a good sign and she can easily progress. 5. Wizard Of Oz won a trial back in November and when he resurfaced a couple of weeks ago he followed them around at the tail. So that makes him a bit hard to read. Nicely bred, in top stable so commands some respect and betting might be a crucial pointer. 1. Bourbon Flyer tried hard to catch Trinity Missile in his latest trial at Wyong, that horse has since won, so he's worth keeping in mind.
How to play it: Trifaccia WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Trifaccia runs second in a Randwick trial on February 5
|Race 2 – 2.55PM VINERY STUD HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
2. Lady Of Luxury has looked smart this preparation in two second placings in what appear to be strong maiden races. Bumped into Newsreader first-up then came back 100m on this track two weeks ago and ran Skedaddle to 0.8 lengths. The 1400m is ideal and she should be hard to topple.
Dangers: 5. The Denzel loomed up to win here first-up but was run down by Wheelhouse who has his share of talent. Unsure if gate one is going to be a plus but this fellow will win races and with even luck he’s the major threat. 3. Ma And Pa is a well bred colt out of Oaks winner Dear Demi on debut and he’s trialling up as though he’s a horse with some ability. He’s one of four from the Waller stable first-up here so keep an eye on betting but at the least he should be hitting the line. 1. Nearly Fine has missed a place once in seven starts and boxed on well in the same race as The Denzel last time. Has a show.
How to play it: Lady Of Luxury WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lady Of Luxury runs second at Kensington on February 5
|Race 3 – 3:30PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
6. My Demetra comes back in grade after a couple of very handy runs in Saturday company behind Sacramento and Great House. The 1800m here finishing off late suits her style and it’ll come down to timing her run to perfection. A good each-way chance as always.
Dangers: 7. Laila De Vega had plenty of support in a similar race here two weeks ago and had to make her run close to the inside while the winner sailed down the outside. Better off by 1.5kg here and can be expected to hold her form. 5. Bowery Breeze didn’t have the best of luck last start at Randwick beaten 2.7 lengths by Invinciano in an on pace dominated race. Has a get back and run on style so look for her to be charging at the finish, especially if there’s speed on. 2. Guise has to be considered again after that win over Laila De Vega now she’s back in form. Will have to step up with extra weight. Not sure what to make of 3. Toscanini who has some outstanding 3yo form but would like to have seen more in his recent trial.
How to play it: My Demetra E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
My Demetra runs third at Rosehill on January 30
|Race 4 – 4:05PM ROBRICK LODGE HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
8. Grenado steps up from a maiden win at Canterbury recently but it was a very impressive victory on a wet track. He ran well at 1400m two starts back and he picked up the leader and raced away back in trip in his win. Obviously needs to progress but in peak form so has a good chance.
Dangers: 3. Snitzify has the form on the board at this level with a Wyong win followed by a solid second at this track behind the promising Flexible. Gate one could be a worry but all things being equal he’s hard to beat. 1. Holy Reign rarely runs a poor race, went to a break a winner and warmed up with a runaway trial win at Wyong two weeks ago. It would be unusual if he’s not around the finish somewhere. 2. Saffiano has continued to improve this time in and was strong late in scoring at 1400m at Kembla six weeks ago. Probably gets back and look for him running home.
How to play it: Grenado E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Grenado wins at Canterbury on January 29
|Race 5 – 4:40PM HEINEKEN HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
9. Mars isn’t far off a win it seems, he’s been quite good in two runs back from a spell. Had to change course here second-up and liked him through the line as he ran into fourth. The extra trip is right up his alley and he can be a major player late.
Dangers: 6. Marsannay is an on pacer who comes through three pretty handy races this time in for three third placings. Favourite but no match late for Shaik at Rosehill but will go forward here and can take running down. 2. Zegalo didn’t do a whole lot at his Australian debut on a good track over 1400m but came here with a very consistent record and stepping up in trip and onto a soft track could well see sharp improvement. 4. Oscar Zulu disappointed last start in the race won by Shaik but previous form includes a Rosehill win fresh and a Group 3 placing in Brisbane so has the ability.
How to play it: Mars E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Mars runs fourth at Kensington on February 3
|Race 6 – 5:15PM STREET BOSS @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Epic Dan very rarely finds himself out of the placings on a wet track and arguably tackled a stronger race when just missing to Mossman Gorge here two weeks ago. Second-up form can be mixed but in his favoured conditions he should be hard to hold out again. Each-way.
Dangers: 3. Marway sat handy at his Sydney debut and staved off the challengers to win at Warwick Farm on Australia Day over this trip. He’ll be prominent again and has handled all conditions in Queensland previously. Genuine and a good chance. 7. The Neon Knight is flying this preparation with three wins on end at country level before stepping up to provincial grade at Newcastle and getting the job done again. Handles all conditions and it’ll be interesting to see how she measures up. 11. Irish Angel can be a little hit and miss but did make a late bid trying to catch Marway last start. Meets that horse 1.5kg better so stays under notice, just the one win from 14 starts is a concern.
How to play it: Epic Dan E/W ($13 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Epic Dan runs second at Kensington on February 3
|Race 7 – 5:50PM TAB HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Fashchanel was excellent first-up behind the smart April Rain at Randwick recently. There is some depth here but it’s still a class drop and this mare has yet to run a bad race on soft or better. Can take up a handy spot and if she runs up to that fresh effort she goes close.
Dangers: 4. Harmony Rose is a promising filly resuming after two impressive wins and a close second from three starts in her first prep. Plenty to like about her trial win and 1400m fresh suits. She can be very hard to beat. Read trainer Mark Newnham's comments here. 6. Brookspire hasn’t raced since she won on protest over the exciting Exoboom on this track in mid-December which is excellent form. Can’t take a lot out of her trial on the synthetic, she might well be drawn ideally come the last race and she bears close watching. 7. Eight Diamonds ran right up to the strong support first-up to score a runaway win at Canterbury a few weeks ago. Trialled quietly last week, shows some promise and could easily measure up.
How to play it: Fashchanel WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Fashchanel runs second at Randwick on February 6