By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Kensington meeting. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM VINERY STUD PLATE (1100 METRES)|
7. Retrieval was a firmer in betting and was far from disgraced on debut in a Listed race in February where he had an excuse pulling up lame. Loved his recent trial at Gosford and if he runs up to it he should be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 1. Construct looked like being a smart one when runner-up in the Breeders’ Plate on debut, finished midfield in the Blue Diamond but has been largely disappointing since. His two trials back suggest he’s well worth another look. Check betting for a push. 4. Huesca has beaten the same horse in both his trials, leading all the way to a comfortable margin in the latest a couple of weeks ago. Sure to push forward from the wide gate and give a good account. 6. Lucky Sun had his chance first-up at Warwick Farm but bumped into a handy one in Verne who has since won again. Massive drifter in betting there so likely to be fitter and has to be considered.
How to play it: Retrieval WIN ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Retrieval runs third in a trial at Gosford on May 31
|Race 2 – 1.25PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE PLATE (1100 METRES)|
10. Mura Mura was competitive with some of the better 2yos earlier in the season and appears to have come back well with two nice trial performances. Don’t mind where she’s drawn with speed likely outside her. Good chance.
Dangers: 12. Tanzimat started $8.50 in the Kirkham Plate on debut, Mura Mura ran third in that race, but she was never in it after drawing wide and going back. One quiet trial but has gate one and James McDonald so she commands some respect. 3. Duchy Of Savoy made a promising debut in a Blue Diamond Preview back in January and was spelled. Trialled nicely at Rosehill two weeks ago and wasn’t tested as the winner ran past her. Keep safe. 4. Falsetto punched through to lead in her latest trial, off a seven week gap, and was too speedy over the 736m. Imagine she looks to cross from the wide gate and if she gets there easily enough can give a sight.
How to play it: Mura Mura WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Mura Mura wins a trial at Randwick on May 28
|Race 3 – 2:00PM MICROPHONE @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Skedaddle will be the shortest priced favourite of the day and on the evidence of her debut win and subsequent two trials she will take some running down. She’s very fast, up 4kg on the win but it’s not a steep class rise and she’s hard to go past. Read trainer Les Bridge's comments here.
Dangers: 1. Sixgun has been a beaten favourite in both runs back but won’t have that hanging over his head this time. Every chance first-up, not disgraced behind Gravina last time at 1200m but in a race likely to be run quickly he can settle and finish strongly. 2. Kinloch made a handy return coming from last for a close second over 1100m on this track three weeks ago. Another who will enjoy a solid tempo and with the run under his belt is in the mix again. 6. Embeller only has the one failure this time in and that was on a heavy 8 in a race dominated by the leader and winner. Since then run down in the last few strides at Gosford and the winner there was competitive in town on Monday. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Skedaddle WIN ($1.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Skedaddle wins a trial at Randwick on June 8
|Race 4 – 2.35PM TAB HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
7. Devil Dan has as good a chance as any in an open race coming off a strong win at Kembla last start. The form has stood up okay you could argue and he drops 4kg after the claim. Races near the speed and has each-way claims at least.
Dangers: 5. Jungle Book improved sharply at his second run from a two month break to score at Warwick Farm on a good track as a $16 chance. Fairly honest type who handles soft and heavy ground and if he holds that form is hard to beat. 3. So Wicked was an easy winner from the front three starts back but has been safely held up in class in two subsequent runs. May get across to the lead here and is worth another chance. Yet to place in four starts on the track is worth considering. 4. Time Raid just failed to lead all the way two runs ago at Canterbury, last time boxed on okay finishing midfield up to 1900m. Has won here and drops 2.5kg after the claim. Can show up.
How to play it: Devil Dan E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Devil Dan wins at Kembla Grange on May 29
|Race 5 – 3:10PM HEINEKEN HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
4. Olympic Legend might have been a little flat second-up racing on the speed but he still battled away okay behind a runaway winner. Solid first-up winner and has won at this track and trip. Expect him to be in the finish somewhere.
Dangers: 6. Reinvest couldn’t get anywhere near the lead when resuming from a year off at 1400m but is fitter and with the extra trip he should be more prominent. Showed plenty of promise in his first prep so he can improve. 8. Lisdoonvarna has put in two solid efforts this time in and she only has to back up her strong finishing second over 1400m at this track to be a contender. Drops 2kg for taking on the boys and is in the mix. 1. Nyami had a nice run and was lifted home for a narrow Canterbury win three weeks ago. Looks a tougher task for him here but with the confidence up he is worth including in the chances.
How to play it: Olympic Legend WIN ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Olympic Legend runs fourth at Kensington on May 19
|Race 6 – 3:45PM CHINA HORSE CLUB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Gin ‘N’ Bitters has won two from three first-up and finds James McDonald to ride at her first Sydney start. Led all the way to win a trial at Deagon a month ago and has found a very winnable race. Watch betting late but looks hard to beat.
Dangers: 6. Sedition is rarely too far away and trialled well last month. While his first-up record is a bit patchy he’s drawn well, gets in nicely with the claim and has placed at this track. Each-way hope. 3. Accelerato pounced to win narrowly first-up at Warwick Farm on a heavy track then sound effort when closer to the speed at Randwick up in class. Very honest type who doesn’t win out of turn but if he gets the right set up can run over the top of them. 1. Broken Arrows is now with Matt Dunn and was narrowly beaten in his trial leading into a return. Gets back and runs on so expect that from him here and despite the big weight he has to be respected.
How to play it: Gin ‘N’ Bitters WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Gin ‘N’ Bitters win a trial at Deagon on May 18
|Race 7 – 4:20PM SKY RACING HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
7. Tamerlane is an up and comer who responded to some riding to win running away first-up at Gosford. Drops 2kg for the class rise but Hugh Bowman sticks and he’ll relish an extra 100m. Fitter and if he is progressive he can win again.
Dangers: 5. Vitesse gave a sight two runs back when leading behind Count De Rupee but didn’t find the front last time and was safely held. If she leads here she can take running down so keep an eye out for a change of tactics notice. 8. Lennon was just warming up at the finish behind Gravina at Randwick and he was tightened up so he probably finishes a length or so closer had that not occurred. Wants the extra 100m and then some so look for him charging home late. Has some quality so he’s a definite chance. 2. Night Of Power just missed when resuming last prep in a stronger race then disappointed a couple of times. He’s trialled twice and if he has any luck he’s good enough to be in the finish. Market watch with him.
How to play it: Tamerlane WIN ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Tamerlane wins at Gosford on May 27