By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Monday’s Kensington meeting at Randwick. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM WINTER RACING HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
5. New Offer was set a task going 1100m to 1600m into his second start at Gosford and he settled well back but found the line very well late, running 11.72 for the last 200m (Punter's Intelligence). A few changes here with blinkers on and a soft gate and while only 1kg better off against the winner of that race he’s a good chance to turn the tables.
Dangers: 8. Bacchus brings some handy form into this race having closed late into fourth behind Prince Fawaz and Reloaded last start and that was on the back of another handy effort at Warwick Farm. Extra ground suits and he’s worth respecting. 2. Hey Mighty debuted behind Exceedance then worked hard early at Kembla before holding them all off in a game win on June 1. Will go forward and could take catching. 1. Chains Of Honour did all the chasing to win on debut at 1600m beating New Offer and he’s also fitted with blinkers here. Whether he’s going to be dour remains to be seen but a definite chance.
How to play it: New Offer E/W ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
New Offer runs third to Chains Of Honour at Gosford on May 30
|Race 2 - 1:25PM TAB HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
6. Lucknow Lady made a very promising debut at Kembla a few weeks back. She ran fourth of seven but was only beaten a length and raced in restricted room over the last 100m. Expecting the extra 200m to help and she’s going to get plenty of favours here. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 1. Betty Blooms ran well on debut on a soft track in October then had excuses first-up when she pulled up 2/5 lame at Canterbury. Tricky draw to offset but she tends to push forward and is entitled to another chance. 7. Havana Storm wasn’t disgraced on debut then never a show behind Embracer at Warwick Farm in what was a stronger maiden than this one. Extra ground might be a plus and is open to improvement. 4. Southern Romance looked to have her chance at Newcastle when she hit the front but was run down late first-up from a spell. Fitter so there is upside and she is one of the chances.
How to play it: Lucknow Lady WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Lucknow Lady’s debut fourth at Kembla on May 21
|Race 3 – 2.00PM KENSINGTON HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
13. Lucicello holds the key to this race. She was thrown in the deep end in the autumn and didn’t handle the conditions behind Amercement but was in the market. Her two trials have been super and just needs the luck to be in the finish on what we’ve seen.
Dangers: 10. Night Flyer took a while to wind up on debut at Kembla but was very strong late and the form through the winner has held up in the city. Can only be better for the run and drawn to have every chance. 3. Bullet Master worked home nicely in his latest trial over 1045m and has shown enough in his two hitouts to suggest he has some ability. Keep in mind. 5. Leviathan showed some improvement in his second trial this time in, well bred and has the inside alley so keep an eye on betting around him.
How to play it: Lucicello WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Lucicello wins a trial at Randwick on May 31
|Race 4 – 2.35PM CASINO PRINCE @ VINERY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. November Man rises sharply in weight but against that drops in class on his easy win at Randwick a couple of weeks ago and lands in a very winnable race. Races well here, gets back and will be the one charging home with any improvement in the track a plus for him.
Dangers: 9. Accelerato had some support at his first run for Joe Pride and didn’t run up to it but he trialled too well leading in to drop off after one run. Fitter and sting out is a plus so expect improvement. 5. Celer appreciated a fast run race and was a bit too strong at Gosford despite 1100m being a bit short of his best. If they happen to overdo it here he’ll be hard to hold out. 3. All Stand was safely held behind November Man last start but smaller field suits and he's a bit better off at the weights. Wouldn't shock to see him run a cheeky race.
How to play it: November Man WIN ($2.15 TAB Fixed Odds).
November Man wins at Randwick on May 25
|Race 5 – 3.10PM RACINGNSW RISING STAR SERIES FINAL (1400 METRES)|
6. Stella Sea Sun is a filly on the way up and she was probably not suited coming back 50m when placed at Canterbury, though she was strong on the line. Rise in distance a plus, Drawn nicely and should take plenty of beating.
Dangers: 1. Watchdog hasn’t done a lot wrong this time in, run down by a promising one at Scone then in a blanket finish at Warwick Farm over a mile. Will need a little luck from the barrier but on form has plenty going for him. 9. The Party Girl had two months between runs and she was running on well into fourth at Warwick Farm over 1300m. Was big odds there but can only be improved and is certainly an each-way chance on that effort. 2. Rockin’ Ruga has had his chance in two runs since a first-up win but this is down a notch in depth and he could gets some control on the speed. If that happens then he’s worth plenty of respect.
How to play it: Stella Sea Sun WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Stella Sea Sun runs third at Canterbury on May 22
|Race 6 – 3.45PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
1. Asharani is bursting to win another race and appears likely to get the right set up to allow her to charge over the top. Close up in two Group 3 races before solid in a strong Saturday race two weeks ago behind Kolding. Has the right form, just needs the luck.
Dangers: 6. C’est Davinchi has form around Kolding as well through a handy second at his second-up run and last time he ran on from last along the fence without threatening. Might be able to be a bit closer here and this is certainly winnable. 10. Plenty has gone way too hard in two runs back but shown courage to hold on for second and his chances are probably dictated by how he settles here. Has been run down by a couple of handy ones so if he can keep it together he’ll be very hard to catch. 12. This Is So is way up in class after winning a maiden at Newcastle last month but won easily and chased home a handy one on debut. Blinkers on and could measure up.
How to play it: Asharani WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Asharani runs fourth at Randwick on May 25
|Race 7 - 4:20PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
7. Amorita will need the breaks in how the race is run but she’s very hard to beat here if that happens. No luck two runs back in a Highway then back and wide and ran on strongly at Rosehill beaten a length, clocking a slick 33.33 for the last 600m and 11.27 last 200m (Punter's Intelligence). Likes the sting out and should go close.
Dangers: 1. Terminology is the class runner with the big weight but goes forward and her fate will be determined by how much pressure she’s put under. Two trials have been nice and was only beaten two lengths by Nakeeta Jane last start. Danger. 5. Soul Star probably gets a nice run in behind them and returns to Sydney after breaking through at Sandown at her first run for two months. Will be competitive. 13. Magnolia Power is a little hard to line up but she dominated in winning a maiden at Scone last time, drawn to be right on the speed and it wouldn’t surprise to see her somewhere in the finish.
How to play it: Amorita E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Amorita’s fast finishing sixth at Rosehill on May 18