By John Schell
(Selections based on a good track)
|Race 1 - 2:20PM EARTHLIGHT FIRST YEARLINGS HANDICAP (2400 METRES):
2. Auspicious Cloud is having her fourth run back from a spell and should be primed for a bold showing in this. She wasn’t beaten far at her first two runs back over shorter trips then stepped up to this distance at this track last time out and was only beaten a tick over three lengths when finishing sixth. She’s only up against a small field again here and from the good draw expect her to be prominent again with Nash Rawiller in the saddle.
Dangers: 3. First Light and 5. Harold The Great are both coming out of the same race as Auspicious Cloud. They both weren’t far away last time out either and can be thereabouts here without surprising. 1. Deniliquin is ready to peak after a couple of runs back from a spell over shorter trips.
How to play it: Auspicious Cloud WIN..
|Race 2 - 2:55PM JAMES SQUIRE HANDICAP (1000 METRES):
6. Gitalong is a lightly raced gelding in the Hawkes stable and he looked the goods when resuming from a spell with a dominant victory as an odds-on favourite. He raced on the speed to win that event and from the good gate again in this he should be in the thick of things throughout.
Dangers: 7. Infancy has a good record with two wins and a third to her name from just four starts. She’s had two trials to prepare for this return to racing and has drawn well. 1. Global Empire is resuming from a spell and was a strong winner at Wyong before the break. He’s never far away and won the most recent of his barrier trials. 2. Martial Music led and gave nothing else a chance when winning at Gosford at his last start. He’s drawn wide but can figure again.
How to play it: Gitalong WIN.
|Race 3 - 3:30PM TAB HANDICAP (1100 METRES):
1. Zaragoza is on debut for trainer James Cummings and looked good in a Kembla Grange trial earlier this year before having a break. The four-year-old by Street Boss has since had another two trials this campaign leading into this debut. He’s drawn a tad awkwardly but looks to have the talent to give this a shake.
Dangers: 2. Tamaroa finished second in his first two race starts earlier this year then wasn’t disgraced in two other fourth placed efforts, one of them behind subsequent group 1 winner Ozzmosis in a Gosford maiden. He has looked good in two trials leading into this return. 5. Tarabeau is resuming from a spell here and warrants thought, while 11. Te Pani is in a good stable and can run well fresh.
How to play it: Zaragoza WIN.
|Race 4 - 4:05PM OLE KIRK FIRST YEARLINGS HANDICAP (1400 METRES):
3. Atlantic Ocean has had a number of runs this preparation and he hadn’t been far away in most of them before hitting the line well to score at this track when last produced two weeks ago. He only needs to replicate that performance to be considered the one to beat again here.
Dangers: 5. Sumo Star has only won the one race from 14 starts but has nine minor placings to his name. He followed a second at Rosehill when resuming with a third at Canterbury last time out and only needs to run up to those efforts to be rated a chance against these. 8. Tavs was placed behind Atlantic Ocean last time out and has claims again based on that performance. 2. The Seven Seas had been racing well before being safely held in tougher grade at her latest start. She can bounce back to top form in this company.
How to play it: Atlantic Ocean WIN.
|Race 5 - 4:40PM BUY AN ARROWFIELD GRADUATE HANDICAP (1200 METRES):
6. Miss Hellfire has had one run back from a spell and she ran well as favourite when finishing third to Eagle Nest at Rosehill in Saturday grade. Her form last campaign was very strong with a Saturday win at Rosehill being followed by a couple of second place finishes at that track and Randwick. She has a good overall record and has the benefit of apprentice Jett Stanley’s two-kilogram allowance.
Dangers: 4. Testator Silens is having his first race start for a new stable here and has shown plenty of talent in his career. He’s had two trials to prepare for this and he is a winner of three from five when resuming. 1. King Of Naples is resuming from a spell and is a first-up winner. He has a great record with four wins and seven placings from 15 starts. Expect him to sprint well fresh. 3. Crafty Eagle is resuming here on the back of two recent trials. He has a solid record and is deserving of plenty of respect.
How to play it: Miss Hellfire WIN.
|Race 6 - 5:15PM BISLEY WORKWEAR HANDICAP (1400 METRES):
9. Mathrin is a handy mare at her best and she did the job well to score at her home track of Wagga five starts back. She hasn’t been too far away in each of her runs since then, with a second placing at Wagga two starts back being followed by a seventh at Rosehill.
Dangers: 2. Oh Golly Gosh has finished second in each of her latest two starts and gave a great sight when placed behind Victory Lane in Saturday grade last time out. She’s drawn wide here but has the services of Dylan Gibbons. 4. Miss Checkoni has run well in each of her latest three city starts and should get every chance from this gate four. 5. Crystal Waters was close-up when third at Hawkesbury last time out and has place claims again here.
How to play it: Mathrin EACH WAY.
Race 1 (2) Auspicious Cloud.
Race 3: (1) Zaragoza.
Race 6 (9) Mathrin.