By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Canterbury Park. Selections based on a heavy track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM HYLAND EOFY SALE PLATE (1550 METRES)|
1. Brutality has been attacking the line with gusto in his two runs back and handled the heavy well running fourth here two weeks ago. Shapes as though the extra trip will suit, drawn nicely and is hard to go past.
Dangers: 8. Mooy wasn’t disgraced fresh at Warwick Farm where she worked home when the race was all over beaten two lengths. Sharp jump in distance but chance to take a hand in the finish. 5. Teronito has been competitive in two heavy track starts at Kembla recently for a couple of placings and while he had his chance last time he stuck to the task well. Wouldn’t rule him out in a very winnable race. 6. Zounate is going well in provincial maidens and as the likely leader here could give a sight.
How to play it: Brutality WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Brutality runs fourth at Canterbury on June 10
|Race 2 – 2.00PM ALL TOO HARD @ VINERY HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
2. Prompt Prodigy had the toughest run in the race on debut and was finishing better than most as he closed into third at Warwick Farm. Handled the heavy well there. Better for that run and may get an easier passage this time. If he can improve on a promising first-up effort he’ll go close. Read trainer Edward Cummings' comments here.
Dangers: 3. Oregon brings a different form line. Solid debut here on a heavy last month then looked a bit one paced at 1400m at Randwick when safely held in fourth, though the question is was he in the slow part of the track. Worth another chance to find out. 5. Castlecomer hasn’t been overly competitive in his three runs to date but he has trialled up pretty well twice leading into this race. Returns as a gelding with James McDonald riding so has a bit going for him. Keep an eye on betting. 8. Tycoonist had some support when fourth to Angel Helena last time and it's fair to say he hasn't been far away.
How to play it: Prompt Prodigy WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Prompt Prodigy runs third at Warwick Farm on June 8
|Race 3 – 2:35PM HARRY ANGEL @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
9. Sheer Treasure is a very interesting runner and worth a look each-way first-up. Replated at the gates and blew the start at her only appearance in Melbourne and she made some nice late ground. Quiet trial on the heavy recently and has gate one. Keep safe especially if there’s any support.
Dangers: 3. Global Queen is a sister to NZ Group 1 winner Summer Passage on debut and she looked very professional winning a synthetic trial at Randwick two weeks ago. Only wet track trial was fair and she has drawn awkwardly but McDonald riding is interesting so commands respect. 5. Obiri had a wide run on debut and she didn’t give it up fighting on to finish midfield at Warwick Farm when all the placegetters gained inside runs. Fitter for that and she’s one to throw in the mix at odds. 1. Heart Of Siena debuted in the same race as an $81 chance and she hit the front before being run down by Silhouette. Drawn to get a nice run again and if she can back that performance up she is one of the chances.
How to play it: Sheer Treasure E/W ($8.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Sheer Treasure’s trial at Rosehill on June 19
|Race 4 – 3:10PM RANVET POWER HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
4. Showminder showed plenty of heart to fight back after looking gone early in the straight and was stronger than anything on the line winning first-up. Can only be better for that, will get a nice run just off a good pace here and no reason why he can’t go close again in similar grade. Read trainer Gary Portelli's comments here.
Dangers: 9. Savigne is a likely improver on an even effort first-up from a break behind Threeood at Warwick Farm. Drawn the inside and the extra distance is a plus, she’s okay in the wet and has run well at both starts here. Expect her to show something. 5. Holy Reign enjoyed a nice run and tried hard when placed in a similar race two weeks ago. Should again find a trail and have the chance to put himself in the finish. 7. Galahad's Quest will probably look to lead from the outside and he's going well without winning. Held on for second in the same race as Holy Reign last time.
How to play it: Showminder WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Showminder wins at Kensington on June 3
|Race 5 – 3:45PM TAB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
13. Estrado was heavily supported and never really looked in doubt scoring two weeks ago on a heavy track. Similar conditions, same draw, same weight, slight class rise to take on the boys but looks to get that run behind the speed again and she’s entitled to hold that form.
Dangers: 1. Lancaster Bomber loves a wet track and is racing well this time in coming off a popular win at Gosford a couple of weeks ago on a heavy deck. Drawn to effect here and is one of the each-way chances. 4. Bella Rosa showed some improvement second-up back in her right class running on strongly late at Warwick Farm on a heavy track. Not sure where she gets to from the wide gate but no surprise to see her in the finish with the right run. 12. Varda hasn't seen a seriously wet track as yet but aside from that there's nothing wrong with the form around her down south. Trials have been fine and she's in the mix.
How to play it: Estrado E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Estrado wins at Canterbury on June 10
|Race 6 – 4:20PM CALYX @ COOLMORE AUSTRALIA HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
3. Lord Gododdin is desperate for an improving track but he’s been around the mark in the wet of late. Stuck on fairly last time but his run at Randwick prior was sound. From gate one with McDonald on board wouldn’t surprise if he is on the podium somewhere.
Dangers: 12. Clever Man is straight out of maiden company but there was plenty to like about how he attacked the line and ran right away from them to score at Newcastle at a similar trip. Should handle the heavy okay based on previous efforts and while this is a step up he has more upside than most. 8. Monasterio has suggested with his past couple of runs at Canterbury that he’s going okay and he stayed on after leading in very trying ground here two weeks ago to hold third. Better off at the weights and he could give a sight. 7. Monsieur Sisu had his chance last time as favourite but this race has fallen away significantly so you have to throw him into contention somewhere.
How to play it: Lord Gododdin WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lord Gododdin's last start at Warwick Farm on June 8